Thread: Did you use the special characters?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Did you use the special characters?

Some of them had limited use while others weren't exactly top tier material, still did you make regular use of special characters or did you stick to your generics?

Articles

I stuck to my team that I trained from the begining. Montblanc was a character you had to use in a later mission, but I never used him so he ended up being like level 2 against this level 50 monster. Was hilarious.

My first playthrough he died in a jagd area. Couldn't 100% the game because of it xD

Moogle

I still haven't had a chance to check this game out! are the additional characters hard to get?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, but many of them become available only after you complete the main story mode. (SPOILER)Ritz, though human is restricted to Viera classes. Characters like Ezel, Babus, and Cid on the other hand, are stuck in default roles that can't really be changed out, so they have unique skills but limited growth.

There are also a set of special generic recruits who are only special cause they all start with one of the games Ultima skills but again, they are limited because changing their default class makes them lose the skill.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

They handled special classes way better in the sequel, where they had their own set of abilities and could change jobs. With the exception of Al-Cid. Why oh why did they refuse him the right to switch jobs?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I think I rocked Shara and Cid, yeah. Maybe Ritz for a bit too. Montblanc was with me throughout but tailed off towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    No, but many of them become available only after you complete the main story mode. (SPOILER)Ritz, though human is restricted to Viera classes. Characters like Ezel, Babus, and Cid on the other hand, are stuck in default roles that can't really be changed out, so they have unique skills but limited growth.

There are also a set of special generic recruits who are only special cause they all start with one of the games Ultima skills but again, they are limited because changing their default class makes them lose the skill.
    No, it doesn't. You can trade out to a new class fine. They still keep the Ultima. They just can't trade back into the class they started with until you earn them enough A-Abilities to unlock it for them.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

So Ezel can still use the alchemist job, but he needs to meet the criteria to access the job if he is to switch back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shauna View Post
    So Ezel can still use the alchemist job, but he needs to meet the criteria to access the job if he is to switch back.
    No. The three characters with unique classes: Ezel, Babus, and Cid, are stuck in those classes permanently.

However, the semi-secret characters, the unique recruits who start with the Ultima Abilities learned, they can freely change jobs, and they will keep their Ultima Abilities indefinitely.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Personally, I might have given them limited use. I don't recall using them extensively, except perhaps for Montblanc and his brother in FFTA 2. I did give Frimelda and Adele a good amount of use, but that's about all I can remember. It's been a while since I played the games.