Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was the first RPG you ever played?

Crocodylus Pontifex The Space Pope's Avatar

Probably Destiny of An Emperor for the NES, though it's technically a strategy RPG. Either that or Dragon Warrior, though I technically never beat it since it froze right as I killed the Dragonlord. ;/ I don't really play RPGs too much anymore, besides the Fallout series, and the newer ones aren't really 'true' RPGs.
    derp

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    If Zelda games count, then the original
    Ah yes, that would be mine as well in this case. I don't consider Zelda games to be RPGs though.

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

The first time I ever played an RPG was when I was 11, my friend let me have a go on his Pokemon Red game. When he finally tore it from my death grip I felt as close to depression as I have ever known. I got my own copy for my birthday which wasn't far from that point and iirc I don't think I ate or spoke until two days later when I ran out of AA batteries.
    Staring at my sig will not induce epileptic fits.

A themagicroundabout sig, by themagicroundabout.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> FF1..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Luna Devika (Sargatanas)

Well it kind of depends. I played Kingdom Hearts first on PS2, but I played others i think before that..

So this is love and See you space cowboy were made for me.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Ocarina of Time
    Final Fantasy VII
    Pokémon Red
    Super Mario RPG

Honestly can't remember which one of those I played first.

Pokemon Blue on my old GameBoy Pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Christmas View Post

That Mc Donald's game for the Sega Mega Drive?

Final Fantasy VII. Zelda is an Adventure and I would never count Pokémon as RPG as people know. It's its own genre if anything and missing too many normal RPG elements.

Articles

Grandia, actually. Picked it up for Ł4 from Asda. I couldn't get a part in Disc 2 and ended up finishing it a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    A few years ago, I came to the realization that the first RPG I played was actually a game called Final Lap Twin for the TurboGrafx-16. It's funny because I never really thought of it as an RPG, but it totally is a racing RPG. At least, it takes a lot of things from RPG games.

I've never gotten very far in the game, but from what I remember you are just going from town to town to try to beat the best racer in each place. It has this nifty over world that you walk your character around in to get to the towns. As you are walking around, you get random encounters.... with other racers. You'll get into a screen where you are challenged to a race. You can then race them or run away (but usually it will still force you to race them). This goes into a more traditional racing game where you are just taking your car around the track to try to beat them. For winning races, you'll get money and I think the bosses will net you car parts and such to "level up" your car. A lot of it is a grind to buy the good parts so you stand a chance against the boss races.
    That... sounds awesome! That's like my desire to find RPGs with "fighting game" battle systems. I never really bothered to think about or hunt down RPGs with battle systems related to other genres (other than FPS games [go Bethesda])

My first RPG was actually pen and paper. My brothers introduced me to Dungeons and Dragons when I was 6 or 7. I believe if I had a PC I would have been like Pike and played early text games, or Ultima and stuff

But I was too deprived and merely had an NES lol Or rather my brother had an NES, but my mom got me a subscription to Nintendo Power, and in those early days they gave away a free promotional game: Dragon Quest. Though my bro bought the original Final Fantasy around the same time. So if we're talking about traditional video game RPGs/JRPGs then either of those would probably count for me

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think Tomb Raider techinically qualifies as an RPG, but that was it. Otherwise, FFVIII.

Blog Entries

Pokemon then FFVIII
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

I think it was Illusion of Gaia, but it might have been super Mario RPG. We had a NES, but I don't remember playing RPG's on it.

As for non linear RPG's like the racing one- Inazuma eleven for DS is a soccer RPG that's quite good I thought.