Thread: How do you game?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

These days most of my gaming is on the bus or train to work and is limited to handhelds. However I do try to squeeze in an hour or 2 of PS3 every couple weeks.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Most of my gaming is done on PC with a standard desk and office chair setup, I used to have my own 'man cave' which was home to that, a 32" TV and a sofabed for when guests stay over, but we've got my girlfriends teenage brother living with us for at least the next year so the PC is in my bedroom while he has the man cave as his bedroom.

I used to play console games on the 32" TV usually, but the aforementioned teenager currently has use of that as well as my Xbox 360 as I barely play it. Currently I use the 42" one in the living room but I don't have a chance to do that as much as I'd like to due to it being in use by other family members most of the time they're home.

I don't eat while gaming but I always have some sort of beverage nearby.

Unless I have a specific goal or I get utterly absorbed in the game in question (which doesn't happen outside of very good JRPGs or monster hunting games these days) I tend to game in short bursts; about an hour at a time, followed by a two hour break or so. Handhelds I'll usually play downstairs, curled up in my favourite chair. All my consoles are in my bedroom; I'll sit on my bed to play those.

I have a lot of guides for my games, but I tend to use those as reference material, for maps and occasionally enemy stats, etc, rather than for directions on where I should go or what I should do. I rarely game with my laptop on (unless I get extremely frustrated and need to look something up, and I prefer to use my iPod or PS Vita for that if I can; it's quicker...usually) and I never eat whilst I'm gaming. I usually have a glass of something with a straw to absently sip in the afternoons though, especially in hot weather. I don't really have a set time for gaming, although as a general guideline I game between 7am and 9pm...after 9pm I find that I dream about the game I've been playing, which is rarely fun.

Articles

As sitting down for a long session of gaming is almost impossible as of late, handhelds are proving their worth big time. Especially my Vita, which is loaded with PS games. Being able to load up old PS games and play them wherever I am with the convenience of save states is a (gaming) life saver, especially true for long RPG's with even longer cut scenes.