Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sega Thread

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default The Sega Thread

A thread dedicated to all things Sega.

I know a lot of people here grew up with the SNES, but how many had any of the Sega systems growing up? I'm talking anything from the SG-1000, Master System, Genesis/Megadrive, Game Gear, Saturn, Dreamcast, and others.

Thanks to my brother I grew up with the Genesis, the 32X add-on, Saturn, and Dreamcast. I would always play Battletoad/Double Dragon, Street Fighter 2, X-Men 2 Clone Wars, Cyborg Justice, Mortal Kombat II, and Doom. Sadly I don't remember all the games we had on the Saturn that well. I think we had Battle Arena Toshinden 2, House of the Dead, and Virtual Cop, but the only one I'm certain of is House of the Dead. For the Dreamcast, all I remember is Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5 Part 2, Sega Bass Fishing, and WWF Attitude.

Street of Rage, Comix Zone, and Road Rash II were some other games I enjoyed on the Genesis. Despite being the Sega equivalent of Mario, there were very little Sonicing going on. Only one I played was Sonic 3. I only watched my brother played Sonic Adventure. All the other old Sonic games I played were on re-releases for other systems.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've always been Nintendo/Sony but I did have access to a Master System and a Megadrive (Genesis) when I was growing up. Me and my friends were split down the middle with Sega and Nintendo. There were some intense discussions back in the day!

The Megadrive had some great games for it. Streets of Rage 2, Road Rash and Goldenaxe were all fantastic. Altered Beast was a horrible game to play though even though everyone loved it because of the beast changes. I also feel (probably in the minority here) that Sonic the Hedgehog (any of them) was a pretty mediocre platformer. Obviously the speed element was enjoyable. Other than that though, I thought the controls were not very tight and the levels were all very similar to play.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I hear ya on the controls. I think the speed element was a big reason the older games sold so well. That said, the first game has aged pretty well on the graphics side of things and had a pretty good bonus stage. I don't think the enemies, stages, and music compares all that well to Mario, though.

Speaking of Sonic:

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loved my Genesis and Game Gear as a kid. I was fortunate enough to have the SNES, Genesis, and TurboGrafx though, so I didn't have to worry about which console was better or anything.

A game in particular I remember playing a lot on the Genesis was Quackshot starring Donald Duck. Man, I really loved that game!

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I had a Genesis & Game Gear. I was later to the Sega party, as I got the 2nd version of the system that came bundled w/ Sonic 2. There were a lot of great games on those systems.

Gunstar Heroes (All of you, especially if you like Contra, should play this)
    Sonic Series
    Phantasy Star IV (probably could be said of the whole series, but I didn't play much of the others yet)
    Eternal Champions (should've had a mention in the Fighting Games thread )
    Columns
    Aladdin (I know it was released on other systems, but I loved this version)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never owned a Sega system, but all my friends had a Genesis going growing up so I feel like I grew up with the system by proxy. Have some fond memories of Sonic, Vectorman, Altered Beast, and Comix Zone.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Dreamcast has one of, if not the, strongest libraries of games of any console ever made. I love that thing to death.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The Genesis was a pivotal console in my gaming experience, it got me into RPGs and a number of other genres as well. Some of the best gaming sountracks ever were laid down for that system, with Michael Jackson himself contributing to Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

pinchpinchpinchpinchpinch ScottNUMBERS's Avatar

I grew up on Sega (master system and megadrive) and from there moved on to Playstation. I never owned a non-handheld Nintendo console until the Wii.

Some awesome games I remember:

Sonic
    Sonic 1,2,3 Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic 3D. I loved and played these to death. Some of the quirky spin-offs like the pinball game were pretty annoying and bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty
    Quackshot starring Donald Duck.
    Yes! hi5! A definite favourate of mine, up there with Sonic imo.

Flink
    I never ever see this mentioned by anyone. Unless I am missing something this is a very underrated game.

Street of Rage
    Co-op mode all over my face.

Golden Axe
    Much like Streets of Rage, an awesome game and co-op mode makes it that extra bit sweeter.

Columns
    Not really my type of thing normally but it was quite addictive and fun for a Tetris style puzzle game. I absolutely loved the music (all three tracks).
    Staring at my sig will not induce epileptic fits.

A themagicroundabout sig, by themagicroundabout.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Aladdin (I know it was released on other systems, but I loved this version)
    I never played the Aladdin game, but I did try The Lion King and Pocahontas. OMG, they were the hardest games I ever played (can't believe I didn't mention them in the hardest game thread). I only got to level two on Lion King and couldn't even get past the first level of Pocahontas. People keep telling me Aladdin was the hardest among them and I can't even begin to comprehend its difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Dreamcast has one of, if not the, strongest libraries of games of any console ever made. I love that thing to death.
    Do you mind helping me track down the Dreamcast my brother sold so I can play them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    The Genesis was a pivotal console in my gaming experience, it got me into RPGs and a number of other genres as well. Some of the best gaming sountracks ever were laid down for that system, with Michael Jackson himself contributing to Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
    He did? I didn't know that. That's pretty cool.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You honestly should be able to get a Dreamcast for super cheap by this point, ToriJ

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    You honestly should be able to get a Dreamcast for super cheap by this point, ToriJ
    Can I get it for under nineteen dollars?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh maybe not. I see them at used game stores for super cheap from time to time though. Like $20 or so.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    Oh maybe not. I see them at used game stores for super cheap from time to time though. Like $20 or so.
    Shame I spent all my money on the PlayStation Store.

SONY!

That said, if I'm getting any retro console from Sega it'd probably be the Genesis.

Articles
    Blog Entries

My first ever console was my Megadrive. Games that were highlights of my childhood were: Sonic 2, Mortal Kombat 2, The Lion King and Tombi (and probably way more that I haven't thought about for years and can't remember the names of).