Thread: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Buffy the Vampire Slayer

You all can probably guess by my avatar that I'm a Buffy fan, or at least a Willow fan. Who else watched the show?

I grew up on Buffy. I can still remember being a kid and seeing her crash the Bronze at the end of "The Harvest" when it first aired. I can't remember much of what I watched of Buffy beyond that before reaching Season Five. I lost interest around that season and only tuned in later because I heard she died, and then to see how they revived her. I didn't get super invested into the series again until the musical in Season Six, and then I started re-watching a bunch of the older episodes. I have the whole series on DVD now. I also have a T-Shirt, a couple of the toys, and a couple of the video games. I even saw the 1992 movie! Caught some of the comic books, too, but lost interest near the end of Season Eight.

I watched Angel, as well. I thought Season One and Two were good. Lost interest by Season Three, but like Buffy, I got interest again during the episode in Season Four where they all think they're seventeen again. That when trout really hit the fan with the introduction of the Beast, return of Angelus, Faith, and a whole bunch of other stuff before Season Five came along with the addition of Spike. I still need to collect the Angel seasons on DVD. Mom only has Seasons One, Two, and Five since she didn't like Three or Four.

Discuss.

I got into the show for a little while. I remember when the movie came out! really liked it. then the show came out and it was pretty good! they lost me towards the end of the series though. the first couple of seasons were pretty awesome! my brother is a HUGE buffy fan. the game that was released a few years back was pretty good too!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I still think the series should've been called Giles the Librarian.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I watched this when it aired. My mom loved the show so I grew up wit buff. I think it really influenced me as a young girl. Seeing Buffy being a kick ass female was a really inspiring. Being feminine didn't mean you couldn't kick ass.

I love Buffy. We have all the seasons of both Buffy and Angel on Dvd

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I never actually watched this show until I was in my early 20s. Except for the first season, I thought it's aged pretty well (except for the occasional, obscure cultural reference), and I found it thoroughly enjoyable. Spike is obviously the best character.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I still think the series should've been called Giles the Librarian.
    There's a US Supreme Court case called Giles v. California that I stumbled upon a couple of years ago for work. I liked to think that it was the case of Rupert Giles being charged for having public sex on a police car (twice).

(the actual case is a lot more boring)

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Spike is obviously the best character.
    And with this lead in, let's talk about our favorite characters. Mine are:

Buffy
    Xander
    Willow
    Giles
    Wes
    Oz
    Angel
    Spike
    Anya
    Faith
    Dru
    Darla

Angel is hit and miss with me. When he was first introduced he had that "mystery" thing going on for him and I liked his earlier back and forths with Buffy before they got all lovey dovey. After that, he didn't become interesting again for me until Angelus. I thought he started coming into his own when he got his spinoff series and pushed that one vampire out of a window asking, "Can you fly?" But then he had a kid...

S1 Darla is the best. Proof?

Buffy: *holds up crossbow*
    Darla: Ooh, scary. *draws twin pistols* Scarier.

Gets me every. single. time.

Also...

The Beast: *smug*
    Wesley: *pulls out shotgun*
    The Beast: *smiles vanishes*

Joss always knew the best time to pull guns into the picture.

Smile and Be happy :love: louby_4eva's Avatar

I love Buffy Best TV show ever. I think having Buffy as a role model shaped me as a person. I'm forever thinking 'what would Buffy do?'. I'll be watching that show until I'm 90 and it will still give me chills when Giles shows up in Season 6 ^_^

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Relm

My wife and I are going through Buffy for the first time and just loving it. Season 1 has some issues, but it's actually more solid and consistent than the first seasons of shows like Star Trek TNG or The X-Files.

When I was a teenager, I caught the impression that sci-fi, fantasy, and other "geek stuff" was a domain for lonely males who couldn't get girls to pay attention to them, and I think that that's a pretty widely-held belief even now. There's this conception that Girl Geek stuff is kind of new, like Twilight and The Hunger Games opened the doors for young women to finally see what our whole Sci-Fi thing was all about. But you can't watch Buffy and still believe that. Women and girls are empowered, informed, and challenged by the same fantasy worlds that men/boys are, and they always were. This gender-segregation of geek culture has always been self-imposed, and the faster we can tear down the walls the better our fantasy worlds will become.

I can't spend too much time in this thread because we're only on season 2, but holy hell "Innocence" is an amazing episode. It's so rare to see such a perfect distillation of the tone of a show. Everything that's good about the show to that point went into that episode: the goofy continuity jokes from earlier episodes now have real plot consequences, the vampire boyfriend allegory is taken to its logical conclusion in such an emotionally honest way while ceding none of the fantasy abstraction...the set-ups, the payoffs, the action, the plot-twists... It's as good as a finale but it's right smack in the middle of the season.

Like, this is a show that has helped people. This is a show that has straight-up created feminists. I could probably have skipped a few asshole years if I had kept watching this past season 1 when it aired.
    goku

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I loved this show when I was growing up. I had all the seasons on VHS and then later got them all again on DVD. Buffy and Willow were the best, and it had so many gut hitting moments like Innocence, The Body etc

I also loved Angel, it was certainly more darker in nature but it hooked me just like Buffy did. Plus Winnifred Burkle I might have to break out my Fred set again sometime.

I enjoy the show quite often on Netflix. They have some very interesting concepts for episodes that are really cool. Hush was my favorite so far where the whole episode had no dialogue and I'm on like episode 6 of the 5th season now. Still got my attention.

I watched almost the entire series. I kind of started to lose track during the "Slayers" arc. I watched the entire Angel series though. I love the finale. Gunn, Ilyria, Wesley, Angel, Lorne, and they even recruited Lindsey to kick some ass. I was kind of miffed they killed him off (again) as I didn't really think he deserved that.

It surprises me they never created a third spin-off series. I feel the Buffy universe is like the Marvel universe and could just go on and on.

EDIT: As for Willow, witches are neat, but I'm not sure how much I would have liked her if she hadn't been portrayed by Alyson Hannigan.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    I watched almost the entire series. I kind of started to lose track during the "Slayers" arc. I watched the entire Angel series though. I love the finale. Gunn, Ilyria, Wesley, Angel, Lorne, and they even recruited Lindsey to kick some ass. I was kind of miffed they killed him off (again) as I didn't really think he deserved that.

It surprises me they never created a third spin-off series. I feel the Buffy universe is like the Marvel universe and could just go on and on.

EDIT: As for Willow, witches are neat, but I'm not sure how much I would have liked her if she hadn't been portrayed by Alyson Hannigan.
    I know Joss wanted to create a Faith spinoff after Buffy, but Eliza Dushku felt that Buffy's shoes would be too big to fill.

Alyson Hannigan is the bomb!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I watched this for the first time only recently. It was a very good show. Buffy is a total badass female lead and I really liked her. I was also pretty fond of Spike, Anya, and my favorite character Giles (actually it starts as Giles and switches to Anya at around season 5). There were some pretty awful characters too though, like Dawn. She was the worst.

My favorite big bad was Angelus. He's much cooler than Angel. Season 2 was the best season. It went downhill after they left high school.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

I was the target audience for this show, and I watched it in high school, and several times since. While the show was great, I wouldn't say it is without criticism in regard to how it portrays women, sex, etc. Actually, I don't think I would say that it is feminist at all, other than it has a woman in the lead role (and that is supposed to be empowering). It's still fun though - I watched the series again last year, and realized I was getting old because now I have a crush on Giles.

When I worked at a comic convention I had to look after the actress who played Glory for a day, and that was fun, but then all "comic convention work" is fun.
    Last edited by Calliope; 07-29-2014 at 06:23 AM.