Thread: Final Fantasy Anthology

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Final Fantasy Anthology

I know many people here have played V and VI, but how many of you played the PlayStation version of the games? Growing up, Anthology was my introduction to the two games, and I recently purchased these off the PlayStation Store. What did you think of them and how do they compare with the other versions?

Discuss.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

In Europe, Anthology actually consisted of IV and V, and VI was released separately. These were my first playthrough of the games too. It's a shame that the PS conversions, particularly FFVI, were not optimised and took forever to load.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    In Europe, Anthology actually consisted of IV and V, and VI was released separately. These were my first playthrough of the games too. It's a shame that the PS conversions, particularly FFVI, were not optimised and took forever to load.
    You guys got IV and V!? You know, when I was a kid I looked everywhere for III and IV because I wanted to play all the classic games. I didn't know at the time that III never got a U.S. release and IV was renumbered to II, although I think we got IV separately on the PS One over here. I never did find it.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

IV and Chrono Trigger were bundled together for the PS1 as Final Fantasy Chronicles.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I have Anthology too, but my copy of V didn't work I think either the game froze right after the earthquake or there was some glitch that didn't allow me to save my game so I ended up playing the advance version of V on an emulator.

I did play the Anthology version of VI and was ok with it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They were not exactly the best ports, FFV kind of had a trashy translation that was based off an old translation made back when Square was thinking of releasing FFV as Final Fantasy Extreme in the U.S. VI wasn't necessarily bad but being used to the cartridge, the loading was noticeable and I was annoyed they didn't bother to try to update the translation like they did with FFIV.

They are not my favorite ports of either game to be honest, though I did enjoy the CGI opening and endings.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

V is one of the few games that doesn't work well w/ the PS2. The game menu get's glitchy when you try to save, but can be worked around.

Articles

Myself and my brother picked up Anthology and Origins when they were like £5 each in woolworths. Funny thing is I never actually got around to playing any of them. I played the i/II remakes when they came to the GBA, and I played VI on the PSN about 2 months ago. V and lightning returns are the only ones I've never played..

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    IV and Chrono Trigger were bundled together for the PS1 as Final Fantasy Chronicles.
    But, Chrono Trigger isn't Final Fantasy...

I never had anything to compare them to, so I never noticed the flaws. I wanted to get them both for the GBA, but I saw they were dirt cheap at the PlayStation Store so I just decided to grab them on there. Ended up with twice as many games as I would have had otherwise.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, it's kind of weird but eh. It was a cheap way to get a hold of Chrono Trigger, haha.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I got the Anthology with V and VI and those are the only versions I've played!

I'd seen the IV and CT together but I never picked it up

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Can't say I have - unlike basically everyone else on this forum, I was never really huge into the PlayStation consoles.

I got Anthology around the same time as VIII, and at this point in time I had only ever played I and VII. I also had the strategy guide, so I got really obsessed with these classic titles. V was extremely challenging for me the first time I played it, but it's become one of my favorites. I have no opinion on the translation or interface or anything, but I love that they retain the original graphics. I hate updated graphics. I'm a purist.