Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you think Final Fantasy VI has aged well?

Final Fantasy VI never ages. It's still FF6, even with the recent iOS port. We're the ones who age.

With that in mind, the gameplay does get dull with the passage of time. If it were reworked, I'd like it to be something like Final Fantasy Tactics' Charge Time Battle System...that'd be interesting.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CAST VOX View Post
    It's aged much better than FF1, 2, 7, 8, and 10. Every single one those games either has gameplay (FF8), graphics (FF1&, 2, and 7), or writing (FF8&10)that's rather troutty in hindsight. FF6 isn't smurfing timeless, but the story is more cheesy than bad, and the game is only completely broken if you grind for absolutely everything or have a guide with you for all the secret stuff (Gogo, Ultima, etc.). I still prefer FF5, due to it's job system and self-parodying aspect.
    FF7's attempts to be serious fall apart the second I get to cross-dress, make the main male lead wear panties, or screw with Chocobo around for an eternity while the final boss just sits there playing with himself. Aside from that and the graphics, the gameplay is solid and its easily got one of the top three ps1 soundtracks.

Don't get me started on Balamb Garden being smurfing Unicron run by Jaba the Hutt.
    I'm afraid I dissagree with FF7 and FF8, I feel that they have aged well too, and still feel the story and graphics hold out very well (but notice the flaws in both). Each to their own though.

I am sucker for this kind of graphics, to be honest I am not so proud of the ultra realism games (at least the bigger titles) try to imitate. If I wanted real life graphics, I would go outside.

Then there are FFVII and FFVIII which in my opinion aged much worse than the titles before because we are actually talking about full 3D which obviously was upgraded alot.

Timeless graphics, world, story, characters, music, gameplay. So...yeah, it's aged pretty well.

Articles

I completed it recently for the first time and I think it has aged fairly well. I wish I had played it when it first came out, but I was still able to appreciate the technical achievements of the game for its time. I was also surprised how emotional the opera scene was when you consider by todays standards its nothing more that blips beeps. If I hadn't already, I definitely fell in love with the soundtrack at that point.

The game had personality, a little cheesy, but it was still enjoyable today. If a port was made in the same vein as PSP's Final Fantasy IV etc. I would definitely play it again.