Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Final Fantasy VI has aged well?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Braaaaaains Do you think Final Fantasy VI has aged well?

I made a similar thread in the FFIV forums, but I'm curious to see what people think. Do you think Final Fantasy VI has aged well or do you feel its a relic of a bygone era?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I think it has aged well, but then again I don't like most new games so I don't know that I am the best sample size.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

:monster:

Yes.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Aged well.

And I feel I have aged along with it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I was looking at some images of the original game a few weeks back, and I have to say that it has aged pretty beautifully. It just has one of those art designs that are timeless so you don't get a, "OH MY GOD THIS LOOKS SO BAD!" vibe shooting through your skull when you look at it.

I think the graphics are awful, compared to IV and V before it and Chrono Trigger alongside it. That part has aged poorly. (Though to be fair, VII has aged even worse in that regard.)

Blog Entries

I think the Graphics have aged well. In terms of design it's still top notch. However the unbalanced battle mechanics has left actual gameplay to become duller upon each playthrough.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

:monster:

The graphics still look great. Nuke is correct that the one thing that hasn't aged well is the gameplay, which is unbalanced in parts, but it's still better than FFVIII's or FFII's. *shudder*
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Yeah, I think the graphics still look great - it probably helps that they're 2D and there's only so much you can do to make sprite-based games look better.

Gameplay and design have held up too for the most part, but by today's standards (like, FFXIII) the battles overall may be a bit too easy.

Articles

I played it not too long ago for the first time. The sprite art style is not for me, but the game is still good and plays well. Still stands up today.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    The graphics still look great. Nuke is correct that the one thing that hasn't aged well is the gameplay, which is unbalanced in parts, but it's still better than FFVIII's or FFII's. *shudder*
    It's hard to argue that the gameplay hasn't aged well when it's no more broken than a lot of JRPG's that came after. Hell, a lot of JRPG's didn't even progress from it in any meaningful way.

That I still played several RPG's that had worse gameplay in the PS2 era is both hilarious and disappointing.

Yes, I think it aged well. The story is still really interesting, and the graphics are not too bad.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

It's not done badly, especially relative to other FFs. The script is probably a little dorky and amateurish in places though, which you don't really notice as a kid.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For the most part, yes it has aged well (which I say for all the FFs I have played), and anything that seems flawed probably seemed flawed back then to me, and is still endearing in it's own way (will explain further if you want).

It's aged much better than FF1, 2, 7, 8, and 10. Every single one those games either has gameplay (FF8), graphics (FF1&, 2, and 7), or writing (FF8&10)that's rather troutty in hindsight. FF6 isn't smurfing timeless, but the story is more cheesy than bad, and the game is only completely broken if you grind for absolutely everything or have a guide with you for all the secret stuff (Gogo, Ultima, etc.). I still prefer FF5, due to it's job system and self-parodying aspect.
    FF7's attempts to be serious fall apart the second I get to cross-dress, make the main male lead wear panties, or screw with Chocobo around for an eternity while the final boss just sits there playing with himself. Aside from that and the graphics, the gameplay is solid and its easily got one of the top three ps1 soundtracks.

Don't get me started on Balamb Garden being smurfing Unicron run by Jaba the Hutt.