Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Google's Deal to Buy Twitch

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

The good news is, the VOD will be auto-deleted in 3 weeks anyways. Twitch thought of everything! In the meantime we can play Let's Guess Which Song Was Flagged, because there's no way to know.

3 weeks? YouTube takes up to a month, sometimes longer if I remember Angry Joe's rant about it correctly. So even if they're wrong, they're going to delete good videos before they get a chance to fix them. Awesome. Gotta love websites that thrive on their users, yet don't give two trouts about those users

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Matt View Post
    2. The knowledge that the Dota 2 international VODs were muted despite the fact that Value running the content, and makes the entire soundtrack for the event allow their music to be used.
    Makes me wonder how long we have to wait before Valve says smurf it and develops their own streaming service.

...Hadn't even thought of that. It'd probably be hugely beneficial to them. Here's hoping they're interested, honestly. Seems like a perfect fit right now

Articles

It's definitely a direction they could go in, but with all the current complaints of steam [Terrible broken games getting greenlit, poor search functionality etc], I don't think it's something they should focus on just now.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Considering there's nothing stopping them from doing both (and a lot of the complaints about steam these days are stupid anyway), I see no reason they couldn't go that route. It'd be a good feature to integrate with steam letting you stream any steamworks enabled game easily, and have another function to let you stream any that aren't.

:monster:

So the deal has happened and it turns out the buyer is...

...Amazon.

Not really any better, I guess.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries

The Facebook-Oculus comparisons again rear their head as this is just not a buyer I would've expected. I'm nevertheless plugged into the Amazon ecosystem, so it works for me.

I wonder if this hints at Kindle compatibility with the Second Screen features the XBone/PS4 support? At least for Twitch streaming I'd imagine...

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Amazon has been big into distributed web hosting for years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Web_Services One good potential outcome is they use some of their resources to make Twitch run more smoothly. Twitch has had problems scaling. Amazon has also dabbled in streaming video already.

Beyond that who knows. Just hoping, again, that they don't ruin Twitch for everyone.

Wait what? Damn internet. All the freaking out made me think Google already bought Twitch. Hence them implementing a damn ID system similar to YouTube's (though I'm aware it wasn't exactly the same, but it caused the same problems..)

Articles

Never used Twitch, but use Amazon a lot. I also use Google a lot, but I don't think Google buying Twitch would have been a good situation for consumers. At least this allows some form of competition between two of the most dominant video/streaming services.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Wait, so this means all the crap Twitch pulled in the past month was completely their own decision? It wasn't Google? What. So they were dicks before they got bought out? I don't even...
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

That was the first indication the talks fell through. They wouldn't have implemented their own system if they were going to be integrated with Google, who has their own proprietary Content ID system

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    That was the first indication the talks fell through. They wouldn't have implemented their own system if they were going to be integrated with Google, who has their own proprietary Content ID system
    They were hoping to impress Google by showing that they could implement a system just as bad as Google's.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I'm always torn on how I feel about Amazon because on the one hand they are just awful to their employees but on the other hand I've always had good experiences with them as a consumer (and as a freelancer who sells through them).