Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Tidus's name never being said in game?

Default What do you think of Tidus's name never being said in game?

Of course I know that it's because you can actually choose his name but I think they could've totally handle it better, like this:

Make two VA versions of every line his name appears in. If yo simply choose the default Tidus, then they would actually call him that way in the game and if you gave him your own name, the lines would be the same way they are now.

I mean there aren't even that many lines where they actually address him so it wouldn't really take much more time or money and it wouldn't be hard on programming either.

So how do you think they should've handled this?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Luna Devika (Sargatanas)

I agree with you. It's not as if it would have taken that much more to do that really. while i don't know much about coding I do know that something like that isn't hard to pull off.

So this is love and See you space cowboy were made for me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Never noticed the lack of it that much, to be honest. I also never played the game with his default name, so even if they had done it that way I never would have known.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I didn't notice it for a long time, but I think later on there's a sphere of Yuna talking about what all of her Guardians mean to her and she says something like "And our newest guardian, star player of the Zanarkand Abes!" and that made me realise it, and from that point on I actually find it really jarring. I just think they should've removed the option to call Tidus whatever.

Well alot of people interested in challenges call Tidus for exampe: NSGNCNO so they can easily differentiate between multiple challenges, so if they removed the naming, they should also give you the option to name the saves (which would for me personally be the best way to go).

Blog Entries

If you think about it, nobody ever actually asks his name, so it's not surprising they you never hear it.

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It was a bit odd, yeah. I like Suikoden where they insert the name and leave it silent in speech, so you can choose the name, but you can also tell people are using it.

That sounds totally awkward but they managed to pull it off very well in V

Star Ocean 3 let you change the name, but still said the original name in the dialogue. I'm okay with that. (Although I've never taken advantage of it, except once changing Fayt to F8 for the lulz)

The weird thing about X is that they let you name Tidus, then they never say his name...but you don't get to name anyone else. What's the point of getting to name one character? They probably should've just left it in and removed the naming option altogether.

if there was a way for the game to recognize whether or not the player had entered a different name other than "Tidus", I think that it would have been pretty cool for the other voice acting characters, or text dialogue, to say his name a little more.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I never really noticed it, really.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The creators knew the incorrect pronunciation would be enough to put Americans off from the game. Smart move, imo.

It bugged me in X-2, but I never noticed in X.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    It bugged me in X-2, but I never noticed in X.
    Ditto.

I would have preferred it if they removed the option to name him. Although, the series and its peers developed a tradition of playable character name customization. I understand why they might have been reluctant to cut that feature.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree with the X-2 thoughts. I noticed it in X, but I thought they handled it really well. The thing on the sphere Psychotic brought up was the only time it kind of bothered me. I find it more jarring when games will insert your name in the text but leave it silent. The worst was Tales of the World (or whatever that PSP game was called) where your friend would say "my partner" in the dialogue while your name shows up in text. That was awful.

Also, I just like to think Jecht never actually gave Tidus a name, and that's why it's never actually mentioned. He just doesn't have one.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    The creators knew the incorrect pronunciation would be enough to put Americans off from the game. Smart move, imo.
    It's technically the correct pronunciation, but it's just a terrible one. But I do agree w/ you. They should've just named him タイダズ & everyone would've been happy.

Teedus