Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Japan just ban Hollywood from anime?

lets get hollywood into anime

Blog Entries

The author of The Hunger Games claims she had never even heard of Battle Royal in spite of the many similarities. Just pointing that out. Is she lying? Somehow I don't think so.. I'd never even heard of BR - much less read the book or see the movie- until a couple of years ago .

Anywho.

I don't think Hollywood should be banned from making anime. They just need to get learned on how to do it better. Or stick with dubbing Miyazaki films via Disney/John Lasseter .

What SHOULD be banned is funimation or whatever that crap is that China produces.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Ergroilnin View Post
    I never saw a Hollywood movie stemming from anime comic books that was at least partially decent, mostly it was trout like Avatar the last air bender the Hulk, basically totally horrible movies when compared to their sources.
    something something get off my lawn

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Titling a thread "Should Japan ban Hollywood from anime?" and using Avatar: The Last Airbender as your example kind of implies that you consider it both anime and from Japan. xD Which it is neither. Yes, I am being ~that guy~

But, in the end, all adaptations tend to be rubbish. Blanket statement, whaaaaaaat. How many terrible video game adaptations have there been? That's right all of them. Book adaptations are often slated for being terrible compared to their source. Heck, a large proportion of comic book movies are bad. I enjoy some adaptations and not others. Some of them I enjoyed simply because they were terrible.

I don't think that this is a problem unique to anime adaptations, however I'm sure the cultural differences do not help.
    If we're talking about Anime or video game to film adaptations then you're right, if you're not then you're wrong. I think the problem is that Hollywood execs who aren't fans of the particular thing they're adapting tend to ruin it. let the fans run how it will go i.e. the directors and the writers. Keep the studios out of it. That's hard to do though seeing as how something like Cowboy Bebop would cost a bajillion dollars to make correctly. The studios don't like letting up on high budget films.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    Bad remakes of things that are good doesn't make the good things not exist.
    Pleased at least one person get's it! I am so sick of people saying that they "ruined the original" when they didn't.

It's not really ruining the original but when you get any continue of your favorite thing (be it book/novel/manga/anime/movie) and it really dissapoints you, you get a little depressed about it.

Well at least I do anyway.

Dragonball: Evolution.

That is all.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's not really ruining the original but when you get any continue of your favorite thing (be it book/novel/manga/anime/movie) and it really dissapoints you, you get a little depressed about it.

Well at least I do anyway.
    Not me, I love it when I see alternative versions of things I love. I really enjoy seeing other people's takes on them.

Even if I end up hating the result, I just think "Okay, that's what they wanted to do... that's fine, it's their version."

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I am going to make a movie where I place a manga flat on a table with a camera pointing down at it. The manga pages takes up the whole frame. I will jump cut from page to page at an average reading speed. No soundtrack or music will be provided. That way there won't be any risk of ideas/aspects of the original source material going south through any executive scrutiny.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Since when was Avatar: The Last Airbender considered anime, much less connected to Japan in any way, shape, or form? O___o

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I am going to make a movie where I place a manga flat on a table with a camera pointing down at it. The manga pages takes up the whole frame. I will jump cut from page to page at an average reading speed. No soundtrack or music will be provided. That way there won't be any risk of ideas/aspects of the original source material going south through any executive scrutiny.
    But then the fans will get angry that you didn't turn the pages with proper manga-reading finesse! AGH THAT'S A FIRST EDITION COPY OF BOYS OVER FLOWERS AND YOU'RE WEARING ON THE PAGES WITH YOUR GAIJIN PAGE TURNING TECHNIQUES! YOU KNOW NOTHING OF GLORIOUS NIPPON AMERICAN SWINE!
    I like Kung-Fu.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Since when was Avatar: The Last Airbender considered anime, much less connected to Japan in any way, shape, or form? O___o

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    But then the fans will get angry that you didn't turn the pages with proper manga-reading finesse! AGH THAT'S A FIRST EDITION COPY OF BOYS OVER FLOWERS AND YOU'RE WEARING ON THE PAGES WITH YOUR GAIJIN PAGE TURNING TECHNIQUES! YOU KNOW NOTHING OF GLORIOUS NIPPON AMERICAN SWINE!
    NO! THEY FOUND ME OUT!!!

*shonen jumps into helicopter blades made of Japanese swords*

earth president nixon should ban anime from earth

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I reckon it's an issue of poor cultural transitioning. I started watching the subbed anime after about a year of only dubbed, and good god, the original stuff is much more mature than the "kid's cartoons" the West peddles them as. Until they start to take them more seriously, such as with the current comic book films trend, then we will only ever get troutty films for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    As I said that was just an example, I never said avatar was japanese but the movie was total trout like when they make movies from anime. Dragonball: Evolution is better example.....

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Dragonball: Evolution is better example.....
    Why? It mirrored the quality of it's source material perfectly.
    I like Kung-Fu.