Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Help me play through my Steam games collection!

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I haven't played any of those but I'll vote for Rogue Legacy because I'm curious about it.

So unfortunately I won't able to play today since I have to do something so Mirror's Edge will be left unplayed for now. But tomorrow I will be back so keep voting!

So far one for Rogue Legacy.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Ballpoint Universe sounds intriguing!

Okay I am back home, sorry for not having time for the Mirror's Edge today.

So far for tomorrow we have one vote for Rogue Legacy and one for Ballpoint Universe.

Anyone else wanna vote?

Well since I am off to bed early tonight and it's still tie between Rogue Legacy and Ballpoint Universe, I used RNG to choose and thus Rogue Legacy is game of tomorrow!

Games for 7. 8.:

Agarest: Generations of War
    The Binding of Isaac
    Chantelise
    Defense Grid: The Awakening
    Epic Battle Fantasy 4
    Legend of Dungeon
    Portal (I've played it more than once but heck, WHY NOT AGAIN)
    Spiral Knights
    Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
    VVVVVV

So vote away!

Articles

Chantelise!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

VVVVVV

I would vote for Titan Quest except that the depth of the game is not revealed in the time you can play it in one day.

So, VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Okay 1 Chantalise vs 2 VVVVVV anymore votes?

Also I gave a try to Rogue Legacy so here's my review of it.

Rogue Legacy

This indie platform roguelike game came out just last year on mostly computers and sony consoles.

The game really is like an old rogue platformer in graphics, music and gameplay and man is it fun!

You play as a knight at first that you can choose from like three possibilities with different skills, traits (more to this later) etc. and start exploring a castle full of loot, monsters, treasures, traps, bosses and other stuff. Your goal at the start is really just to get as much gold as possible before you die (and you will die alot!) so you can purchase upgrades, hp bonuses, new equipment and all the fancies.

To be honest I haven't really played many games like this so I don't know how unique the things this game does are or if they are a common in the genre so forgive me if I go on about something that's normal this time.

When you die, you will have to start your new character again from few options. The characters differ in classes (for example, Paladin who can block attacks, fragile yet powerful Mages, agile and deadly Ninjas etc.) that work as the base of the character status plus randomly generated traits like gigantism (your character is very big, stronger, more health but slower), shortshight (a small circle around the character is blurred a little) but even things like inverted camera which is lotsa fun. So pretty much each character is little bit unique.

Also you can see your dead characters as predecessors in the line as they died, which is interesting, I've yet to understood if the years given under them actually somehow refer to the length of gameplay or not.

With the money you can not only buy new upgrades but also unlock NPCs that can then sell you better equipment, runes (higher jumps and stuff like that) and an architect. You see each time you die, the inside of castles changes unless you pay architect 40% of your found gold which can be worth it if you really like the current castle or you can simply ignore him and get new one next time you die.

One last thing I forgot to mention is that each time you die and start anew, you gotta pay toll to Charon (you know that mythology underworld dude) of all your money (or a part of it if you have upgrade to cheapen it) to enter the castle, so if you didn't make enough money on last run to buy anything, it will be all wasted so you actually gotta put in some effort!

All in all you want to get as strong as possible and get through the castle to kill the main boss. I don't know more about this though since I am far from getting there.

The game is very addictive and with all the possible upgrades, combinations of character traits and new insides of the castle everytime there is really great deal of replayability and you could possibly spend tens of hours on this game without growing bored of it.

Again, here is some classic gameplay of the game:

Rating:

Objectively:

The game is really enjoyable, has that great old school graphics most of us love the old school gameplay that offers hours of replayability and just as many hours of fun.

8/10

Subjectively:

I myself do not play this kind of games very often and thus I am not really good at them but man I am a sucker for playing the game again and again till I can get all those upgrades and stuff.

I really like this art style and I generally enjoy the gameplay even though it can be frustrating sometimes. I've only given the game about 2.5 hours so far but I will definitely be coming back again many times before I finish it whole

9/10

So yeah another game that I will be playing from now on along with World of Goo.

I wanted to ask you guys how do you enjoy my short reviews, what should I work on and what is okay the way I do it.

I mean I surely ain't no pro reviewer like ToriJ and I don't really plan to be, this little project of mine will probably cease to exist in a month and half when college starts but if there is anything I can change to make it more enjoyable for you all to read for that time, I will gladly do so.

So yeah thanks for your feedback beforehand!

Well okay VVVVVV won for tomorrow!

Games for 7. 8.:

Analogue: A Hate Story
    Bastion
    Cave Story+
    Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos
    Evoland
    Fable - The Lost Chapters
    Memoria
    PixelJunk Eden
    Q.U.B.E.
    Tsukumogami

Articles
    Blog Entries

Fable.

Bastion is the best game I've played on that list, so that's my vote.

Articles

Analogue.

Articles

Haven't played much of it, but I would give Bastion a go. If it's not too late.

Okay so far 4 votes, 1 for Fable, 1 for Analogue and two for Bastion so it's leading! Any other votes?

I'll keep this very short (probably even shorter than Guacamelee!), I gave the VVVVVV 20 minutes today and I won't ever play again how much it annoys me!

VVVVVV

So another indie game! It is 2D puzzle platformer and first released in 2010.

The gameplay... You play as one little character which can change it's gravity when standing on solid object and with this ability you try to go through levels of deadly spikes, deadly crosses and deadly everything basically. Each time you die, you start back from last checkpoint and there is no limit in how many tries you got. Which is good because you will die a lot if you suck like me. You really need good reflexes for the game.

Graphics are really simple and very old school which only gives the game charming look that fits it. Music is old school as well so you kind of feel like playing 20 years old game. There are really funny dialogues through the levels that will make you laugh, or at least smile a bit.

That's about it, here are my first and last 15 minutes of the game ever (It's pretty much me dying over and over and over again):

Rating:

Objectively:

The game is really nicely done and if you enjoy the oldschool graphics and music, you will like it very much. The levels are hard and very unforgiving. Seriously hit the spike by one pixel, bang you're dead. The dialogues in the game are funny. If you enjoy reflex based platformers, get this.

8/10

Subjectively:

I freaking sux at anything reflex based as you could see in the video. While I really appreciate the art style and the overall atmosphere of the game, in just fifteen minutes I was raging so hard that I am never playing it again.

3/10

Welp, sorry for those of you who were genuinely interested in this game but I can't deal with any more dying by missing the target ground by 1mm. I hope tomorrow's game won't make me as mad as this one.