View Poll Results: Is FFII Underrated

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very underrated. This game is a hidden gem!

4 16.00%
  • Slightly underrated. It had some good qualities.

5 20.00%
  • I think it's rated as it should be.

14 56.00%
  • Overrated. The game was bad.

1 4.00%
  • I've never played II!

1 4.00%

Thread: Do You Think FFII is Underrated?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Do You Think FFII is Underrated?

Do not enough people appreciate this gem or is it a subpar game?

I think it was pretty solid, it had some likeable characters, and some touching moments (Josef). I think other than the battle system it was pretty solid, but I guess it didn't have a huge impact either.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Can't really make an opinion as I've never played it before.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't know. Maybe? Gotta remember it didn't get a U.S. release until Origins so it probably suffers from the same thing V does. It's always lumped in with the original which I think kind of overshadows it.

A little bit, because a lot of people - including myself - fall into the trap of painting II as "that FF where you beat yourself up to get stronger". It's true, but that's only one aspect of the game! The story is easily the strongest of the first three, and there are many cool unique spells and design aspects (like the pangaea-esque world map) that are often forgotten.

Blog Entries

While I haven't played very much of it that was because I couldn't stand it.

The story was good, the characters were solid.

The gameplay was horrible, as was the dungeon design.

I think it's rated about right. Maybe overrated by some. But the bad design aspects meant that I never played enough to experience the full richness of the story and characters. So it's definitely not underrated by me.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

It's crap I tells ya!

I don't see any need to go on for a paragraph bashing gas out of a dead mule, though...the next game in the series is extremely underrated.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

It's one of two (three counting XI) games in the main series I haven't beaten. I got close once, like outside the final dungeon close. But never actually got around to beating it. Just didn't have the drive too.

It's incredibly underrated. Were it not for FFII, we would still be using FFI's D&D spell-charge system. Also the characters were decent for their time.

No. It was my least favorite FF. I couldn't even finish it because I hated the battle system and the random encounter rate was so awful.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Only slightly. The GBA version smoothed out some of the rougher old school jRPG edges.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

It's definitely one of the weaker entries in the franchise, and probably my second to least favorite.

I think it's rated appropriately.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel its underrated but I also feel the complaints of its flaws are very valid, I just feel that people focus so much on the flaws and that Square failed to really explain the game's mechanics in a way that could be understood that it gets more hate than it really deserves. It was the first experimental FF which always means its going to be hard to swallow but I feel it does just as much right as it does wrong.

I went into this game being told it was the personification of evil and badness.

I liked it a lot.

I also found it kinda hard. (played the Dawn of Souls version) Granted this could be due to the fact I never understood the mechanics. Apparently rather than leveling up my Magic and buying the best equipment the smart strategy was keeping everyone unarmed or giving them two Shields. Hell if I know why... I guess Evasion is the best stat in this game.

But hell yeah! Mysidia Tower was the best! smurf the haters, I loved that dungeon. It was nice and properly atmospheric. I mean you are getting the Ultima Spell. ULTIMA. The dungeon leading to it should be the best.

And...just because Ultima wasn't anything special or helpful so I spent a lot of time grinding it up just because I felt extremely cheated on putting in all that effort to get a worthless piece of magic, doesn't mean this game is bad.

It's just that it's...it's...delightfully flawed.