Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Calling all Fire Emblem: Awakening Fans

Not sure if this is the right forum, so I apologize if it needs to be moved

Anyways, I played a little bit of this game but it was so darn hard. So I was hoping my fellow forum goes could help me out. I'll update this thread regularly when I have difficulty (all the time) and it would be great if you guys could give me some tips and tricks or some advice!

Any advice before I start?

General advice is hard, because what advice I give will depend on how you play. Do you grind a lot? Do you have the DLC? What characters do you like? Etcetera. But I'm happy to help.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like easy games, I don't mind grinding, I don't know any favourite characters but I lean towards female character, I have no DLC

I'll keep this updated so hopefully you'll get a better idea of my play style as I go

Thanks Skyblade

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Play in Casual mode so you don't lose any characters when they die in any of the stages. It can be a pain if you lose a character in this game. However, when you try to pick up new characters, be sure not to have them die. It can be a bit challenging, but keep at it. It's also a good idea to replay the stages to grind some lower leveled characters.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh I can replay stages? Good to know!

Is it possible to take screenshots so I can show you guys thingies if I need to?

I just started and I am on Casual with Lunatic difficulty

jk I'm on Normal can you imagine

Also chose speed as an asset and strength as a weakness. I was trying to decide between magic and speed but I went with speed.

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    Kind of? Every so often, a group of Risen will spawn on the map. They'll be tuned to the map's original level, usually a little higher. Once you reach Chapter 3, though, you can buy a Reeking Box. This will let you go to any Chapter map you've completed, and summon the Risen fights there.

It's not exactly "replaying", because the Risen take different positions on the map, your team starts in a different place, and the objective is always just "eliminate them all". But it does let you fight more battles for more exp and money.

Is it possible to take screenshots so I can show you guys thingies if I need to?
    As far as I know, not without a modified 3DS.

I just started and I am on Casual with Lunatic difficulty

jk I'm on Normal can you imagine
    Casual Normal is good. Don't forget that you have two save files specifically for mid-battle saves.

Also chose speed as an asset and strength as a weakness. I was trying to decide between magic and speed but I went with speed.
    Although the game doesn't tell you, those stat decisions actually affect 3 stats each, not just one.

Choosing Speed as an Asset increases your max Speed by 4 (automatically enough to double hit enemies you would tie with neutral speed), and your max Skill and Luck by 2.

Strength as a weakness decreses Strength by 3, and Skill and Defense by 1.

Honestly, you might want to redo that if you were debating between Speed and Magic. While Speed affects Speed, Skill, and Luck, if you choose Magic it boosts Magic, Speed, and Resistance. So you can boost both Magic and Speed if you choose Magic.

Magic+ gives you Magic +4, Speed and Resistance +2.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well I'm glad you told me before I got too far

I was only on the second battle. I restarted once already because I was having trouble deciding between 3 hairstyles

DON'T LAUGH AT ME
    Last edited by Pumpkin; 08-01-2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: darn caps

Well I'm glad you told me before I got too far

I was only on the second battle. I restarted once already because I was having trouble deciding between 3 hairstyles

DON'T LAUGH AT ME
    I'm not laughing. Choosing a good Avatar is a very important part of any game with character customization.

Don't forget, there are also three body types, and those have different hair and face options tied to them as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I noticed

I was choosing between these 3:
    Attachment 58704

I went with the second one

Some thoughts so far: I like how you can switch weapons, but I don't like the number beside it which I think means limited use? Seems like that could get expensive

I like having a character specifically for healing that functions the same way as other units. The sprites are cute. I enjoy how if you have allies next to you they will join in the battle. I also noticed I can pull up a script which is a neat feature if I miss something

Some thoughts so far: I like how you can switch weapons, but I don't like the number beside it which I think means limited use? Seems like that could get expensive
    It can. Generally, the more powerful the weapon, the more it costs, and the fewer uses it has.

Fighting random Risen will give you a couple thousand Gold a fight (exactly how much depends on where you fight), so you usually make money from grinding as well, especially if you use Bronze or Iron weapons to get a lot of uses out of them.

Balancing when you use which powerful weapon becomes pretty important in the higher difficulties.

I like having a character specifically for healing that functions the same way as other units.
    Eventually every character will be able to attack as well, but I agree that the way healers work in these games is great. Just make sure you protect them.

The sprites are cute.
    Truth. I really wish I could get a high quality rip of the sprite images. I want perler art of the team.

I enjoy how if you have allies next to you they will join in the battle.
    This gets better when you unlock Pair Up in Chapter 3. Use Pair Up a lot. It's awesome.

I also noticed I can pull up a script which is a neat feature if I miss something
    So very true. There are some brilliant conversations, and it can be easy to miss awesome lines.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, I forgot to mention that you can only do this if a Risen shows up on the world map, otherwise you can only shop.

Also, you can see your enemy's range of attack when you press X when you fight. It's good to know so you can protect your weaker characters from harms way.

I also have two games saved. One is complete.

Arya the female Tactician, and Horatio the male Tactician.
    Last edited by Agent Proto; 08-01-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks Jeff!

So far I think my favourite character is Sumia. I just did Chapter 2. No units have died so far. I know I can revive them but it shows that so far it hasn't been terrible, which is good because I just started the game.

Saw a support skit with Chrom and Frederick which was quite amusing and also one with my character and Lissa. How do I get more of these? I quite enjoy them

EDIT
    Oh yes! I've heard you can marry characters and stuff in this game and it seems Sumia has a crush on Chrom and it would be really sweet if I could get them married

Thanks Jeff!

So far I think my favourite character is Sumia. I just did Chapter 2. No units have died so far. I know I can revive them but it shows that so far it hasn't been terrible, which is good because I just started the game.

Saw a support skit with Chrom and Frederick which was quite amusing and also one with my character and Lissa. How do I get more of these? I quite enjoy them
    Each time two characters fight together, if they can Support (which you have to check the Support list in the game to see who is compatible, although your Avatar can Support with everyone), you'll see two little hearts appear over the sprites as the battle concludes. After a certain number are accumulated, you unlock a new one.

Certain event tiles, or using a Seed of Trust can boost the Support rating towards the next conversation as well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nvm I found them, was looking in the wrong spot

I got Donnel yay

I also got a scene between Miriel and Virion. It was cute

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Okay I am at the chapter where you go rescue Mirabel and I am having a really really hard time with it

Help?