Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guardians of the Galaxy

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Guardians of the Galaxy

I'm actually pretty surprised there isn't a thread about this movie already. I mean, as far as I can tell pretty much everyone is already in love with the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the way it portrays its characters and stories. With a few exceptions I suppose, but I still really liked the first Thor movie, so

Anyways. GotG was really good. I went and saw it today. Now, I have never read and of the comics before, and didn't even know about them until I heard about the movie. I was thoroughly impressed though. I cried, I laughed, I cried again, and I laughed a lot more. It was definitely silly, but not in a campy way.

Did you guys see it yet? What did you think? Do we have any real-life Guardians of the Galaxy fans around who read the comics? From what I understand these guys are based off of the comics from like, 2008-2010 or something. I dunno, I'm no expert.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Blog Entries

I liked it but I saw it in 2d and some of the slowmotion just seemed silly. It felt like they bought the rights to too many songs and just extended the ending to tack on the extra song they couldnt put anywhere else because "aint no mountain" seemed like the perfect place to end it.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I mentioned this as the nail in DC's movie coffin in the Happiness thread. Like you PLEF, I never read the comics either. I know this isn't one of their top franchises & it's amazing that they took it & made something spectacular out of it. IDK yet where it falls in All-Time greatest comic book movies, but it's got to be Top 10. I don't think I was as blown away by this as I was w/ the Winter Soldier, but holy trout was this good.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I saw it Thursday night, and I was impressed by how good it was. I don't know if it's the best Marvel film yet, but it's definitely up there near the top, and probably my new personal favorite.

It just has a certain level of overall enjoyment from a healthy balance of action with humor that the others don't. I think the fact that it knew just how seriously to take itself really helped.

Also, Starlord and Drax the Destroyer were pretty kawaii desu ne. A nice bonus.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

:monster:

I hope this pushes Fox into finally making a proper Deadpool film. See, Fox, it can be done, humor & action.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The movie is great. I'm honestly more excited about future Guardians movies than anything else with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I thought it was excellent.

I also thought it did an incredible job of blending the serious Thanos arc with an utterly comedic core film/franchise.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I expected nothing less. I love Marvel and the universe of Marvel. Seeing Thanos more was a treat for me. Lee Pace did an excellent job in his role as well.

Literally all of the Guardians are hilarious and have very quotable lines. I am going to see it again just so I can remember and hear most of them. I was laughing hard so I missed the end of a few. I love that aliens seemingly take everything literally.

"They have sticks up their butts." - Star Lord/Peter Quill
    "That's terrible. Who would put sticks up their butts?" - Gamora

"That went over your head." Star Lord
    "Nothing goes over my head. I will catch it." Drax

"We literally just said that you didn't save me." -Star Lord
    "Oh, I wasn't listening I was thinking about something else." - Drax

"We're like Kevin Bacon." - Gamora

This film left me wanting more and that's a good thing. There was a enough backstory to carry the film, but they left enough out for the sequel. My only pet peeve was the beginning with the melodramatic "my mom is dying of cancer" bit. It didn't fit the tone of the rest of the film which was more action packed and comedic. I didn't like that. They should have just left it as it was in the comics with her getting killed by aliens. The whole "touch my hand" thing was just lame but I understand why they felt the need to change it and have it connect to the reason why Star Lord becomes selfless.

Music choice was fantastic. Can't go wrong with 70s music.

9/10

Much as I enjoyed the film - and I really did, it's probably my third favourite film in the MCU thus far - I wish Marvel would stop throwing away their villains like this. The villains for this film were awful, and that bothered me. Ronan was a mindless zealot (and there is so much more to his character than that), Thanos appeared for all of five minutes, and Nebula and Korath may as well have not been in the film at all. I loved the Guardians, but I didn't really care about the plot as much as I should have, because the threat was so under explored that it didn't really have the gravity it should have. It was Red Skull all over again.

It was great they took the time to develop the Guardians, and actually bothered to explain the Infinity Stones, and even include Thanos beyond a two-second face shot. But the threat was still under-represented, and the villains in the Marvel Universe have just as much - if not more - character as the heroes. They're equally as iconic in their own way. I can appreciate that it wasn't as serious a film as previous Marvel films, but...well, the villains were there, and they should have been more than just tokens to drive the plot forward. Ronan was such a waste, and that bothers me.

...but otherwise, yeah, I loved this. Once Star Lord started strutting his stuff through the ruins using an alien rat as a microphone, I was laughing constantly right up to the end. Even the aliens had so much character to them! I hope they don't take too long with the sequel because I'd love to see where they go from here. Cosmic Marvel is fantastic and, villains aside, they represented it really well in this film. The locations were all stunning and had their own identity (although I did get strong Riddick vibes from the prison) and it wasn't so huge as to feel overwhelming, either. The lack of pointless space jargon was much appreciated, as well.
    Last edited by Noire; 08-03-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This movie looks decent, but I won't lie to you. The main appeal is seeing a blue, bald Amy Pond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I really enjoyed it. Didn't know what to expect, and was a bit uncomfortable at first as the cinema was packed out. But within 5 minutes of the film starting I completely forgot about that.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I saw it on Friday. It wasn't my choice, but I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it. I want my own Groot.

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    This movie looks decent, but I won't lie to you. The main appeal is seeing a blue, bald Amy Pond.
    OMG IT WAS HER! I racked my brain yesterday after watching trying to figure out who it was.

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    This movie looks decent, but I won't lie to you. The main Karen-Gillan_2623430b.jpgappeal is seeing a blue, bald Amy Pond.
    I know this is going to sound weird, but I thought she was really hot as Nebula. She went to Comic-Con & revealed her bald head & still looked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    I saw it on Friday. It wasn't my choice, but I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it. I want my own Groot.
    I was surprised by how awesome Groot was! For a character who has one line, there was a lot of heart & humor. Plus, he could do a lot of amazing trout.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FYI Nebula is going to be in the sequel more. I too want a Groot. Those eyes, so adorbs.

They also included Thanos for more then two seconds. He appears in two scenes and speaks in both. He's more massive than he looks in that chair though.