Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the worst RPG you ever played?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In terms of buggy unplayable awfulness I would say Hydlyde for the NES though I have heard the game is a really bad port of a pretty decent PC series so that may have to do with a few factors of why this game sucks.

In terms of a game that did nothing for me and was poorly designed but not actually unplayable, then I would say FFXIII.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hydlide, Beyond the Beyond, and Quest 64 are all pretty damn atrocious.

My vote, however, would have to go to Shifters, a little-known PS2 hack-and-slasher that was a spin-off of my beloved Might & Magic series.

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Really? That's funny, because now that you mention it, Star Ocean: The Last Hope was extremely bad in my opinion. Played like 20 hours before calling it quits, and about 15 of those hours Tidus 2.0 (Edge) spent being an emo DOUCHEBAG. He was just starting to pull out when I finally set down the controller for the last time. Some better writing/character needed for that one. Wouldn't call it the worst though. But it's the only only Star Ocean I've really sank my teeth into, and it makes me kinda sad for the series

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I played a bit of Arcana, & found it odd.

Really, any RPG where it's first person view is rough. I think Sword of Vermillion had a bit of that, too. I remember as a kid (before I got a Genesis), that game sold for $70 dollars or something, more than any other Genesis game @ the time.

Don't know if I hate any of these games, but they didn't do anything for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Really? That's funny, because now that you mention it, Star Ocean: The Last Hope was extremely bad in my opinion. Played like 20 hours before calling it quits, and about 15 of those hours Tidus 2.0 (Edge) spent being an emo DOUCHEBAG. He was just starting to pull out when I finally set down the controller for the last time. Some better writing/character needed for that one. Wouldn't call it the worst though. But it's the only only Star Ocean I've really sank my teeth into, and it makes me kinda sad for the series
    Edge really isn't anything like Tidus apart from being a blond protagonist in a JRPG... Oh and using a sword.

Edge was only "emo" for a small period because of a really bad thing that happened. Up to that point he was very cheerful and pretty normal.

Edge is certainly one of the least annoying characters in the game for me. Not liking TLH because of Lymle or Meracle or Sarah, that I can understand. Edge though was pretty average.

The lashing out, the brooding, the crying, the pretentious behavior, trying to act like nobody understands what he feels. Or the childish way he draws in on himself because of it. Completely unbecoming of a protagonist and a freaking captain. It lasted for like two or three locations. It was no small portion. And it completely reminded me of Tidus the entire time. Understand why he felt the way he did, but to take it to the extent he did was ridiculous. Probably because in good old Japanese fashion, he was like high school age or something. But in reality, being a captain means tough decisions and tough outcomes and he failed. Which would have been fine. A great opportunity for good drama and character building. But his character was completely unbuilt and I didn't find it worth sticking around to see if he built back up after that. I swear it had to have lasted for a good 10 hours or more. Or I was just extremely slow in getting through that next planet and alien stuff

I wouldn't really try to convince anyone to give up on the game if that episode doesn't bother them. But it certainly ruined the game for me. I wonder if they changed it a bit in the PS3 port. Perhaps different voice actors, a tweak on the writing, or some pacing during those parts of the game changed things. Who knows

Time & Eternity for me as well, mercifully I only rented it so no long term damage was done.

The lashing out, the brooding, the crying, the pretentious behavior, trying to act like nobody understands what he feels. Or the childish way he draws in on himself because of it.
    Edge destroyed an entire planet because he trusted someone. Try to cope with that after you have done it. That is no good feeling. That is not ridiculous at all. A human being falls into a deep abyss for less reasons and the fact that a single decision of someone who does not want to cause harm can cause that much harm is something to consider once it happens. That is not exaggerated, it is conscience. Eleyna was right with saying he should not be so full of himself to think he could control these things alone but that does not change the fact that he still was a part of the chain that would not have existed without him. And even if he cannot change these things and he shouldn't hesitate to do what he feels of as right, this feeling of guilt and hesitating is necessary because that is what being a person with morals is. And even a captain is just a fallible being that needs to consider his decisions. Exactly because what he wants to do right s captain makes this necessary actually. As necessary as his friends helping him out of this abyss.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 08-20-2014 at 08:10 PM.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> A pokemon game I guess, I played it for 5 minutes..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    The lashing out, the brooding, the crying, the pretentious behavior, trying to act like nobody understands what he feels. Or the childish way he draws in on himself because of it.
    Edge destroyed an entire planet because he trusted someone. Try to cope with that after you have done it. That is no good feeling. That is not ridiculous at all. A human being falls into a deep abyss for less reasons and the fact that a single decision of someone who does not want to cause harm can cause that much harm is something to consider once it happens. That is not exaggerated, it is conscience. Eleyna was right with saying he should not be so full of himself to think he could control these things alone but that does not change the fact that he still was a part of the chain that would not have existed without him. And even if he cannot change these things and he shouldn't hesitate to do what he feels of as right, this feeling of guilt and hesitating is necessary because that is what being a person with morals is. And even a captain is just a fallible being that needs to consider his decisions. Exactly because what he wants to do right s captain makes this necessary actually. As necessary as his friends helping him out of this abyss.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with all of that. It's not the bullet-points of the story or his reaction as a character that bothered me. It was how it was portrayed. Like bad writing or bad direction or something. It all could have been done a lot better and not made him out to be such a douche about. He came across as juvenile to me rather than dramatic. It's probably just one of those things where I feel like some Japanese don't know how to write real drama, and instead they write melodrama. Similar things can happen in episodes of Star Trek, but it doesn't make me want to murder the character involved just for how they react. Even then, lashing out, or dwelling, or going quiet can be done in quite a realistic and artistic manner. Something relatable and mature. Not juvenile and immature. I really can't put my finger on it in a way that might actually convey exactly why it bothers me. It's really just the presentation. Not the subject matter

Don't be too put off by my opinion though. I've written off much better games for similar gripes. I have unrealistic standards when it comes to entertainment. If the writing in a game doesn't speak to me, or clashes with how I think things should be done as a writer, I have a hard time following along on the train ride. Nothing against the game. I just couldn't enjoy that segment. I think they missed an opportunity for better drama and better portrayed character development. Granted drama and character development were indeed there. I just didn't like it how it was

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    Beyond the Beyond.
    I was considering that one actually. :o
    Yeah, that one pretty much takes the cake for me. You really have to have paid $40 for it and played it to know the sting of it.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I didn't like any of the old western RPGs on PC like Planescape or Baldur's Gate. I just couldn't get into them.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Xenosaga
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?