Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you consider this game hard?

Somehow I often fail beating Garula.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Liquiflame was probably the first major brick wall i ran into. The feeling when you beat it though. Indescribable.
    YES! now i know im not the only one!.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Somehow I often fail beating Garula.
    He was the first boss i had trouble with too.
    but that may have been my savestate. yes i played on Emulator first time...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntace101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    It was easy until I got stuck on a boss, but I can say that about a whole lot of games I played in my youth.
    please tell me it was liquiflame so i can safely say i wasnt the only one who had trouble with it
    Yeah dude, the very first time I played this I was super inexperienced and got thrashed by LiquiFlame. I think I was probably level 12.

I'm discussing my 108, er, 111 favorite games of all time in THIS THREAD so go check it out and join the conversation!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

if you want too see how i truly fair with the game im doing an LP of it ( granted it is co-op with someone who isnt too experienced) its in the letsplay and livestreams section if you want too see it

2 things:

The interface is clean as a whistle. Few bugs, lots of options, easy to use.

On the other hand, the sheer number of options that are eventually present in the game make this game complicated to learn easily. When SE said "This game is too hard to release in the US" (presuming that this quote is accurate), they probably were thinking that it was just too hard for them to convey properly in a manner that would be ontime+underbudget.

Slick of them to manage their financial resources well at a critical stage of development for their company, I say.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

FFV is too hard to be released in US.

but contra and mega man are no problem....

My Spidey-Sense is telling me that they meant to say "it's too hard for us to translate."

It's easier than all its predecessors, yet harder than all of its successors. Sure, FFIV was released in the US, but as we all know, its difficulty was watered down.

I did have to "cheat" to beat Atomos though; basically, I turned everyone into a dragoon and spammed the jump command, effectively avoiding the bosses powerful magic aoe attacks.

Honestly, Final Fantasy IV (hard type) is the only FF game I've truly struggled with. The RNG on the moon is insane, to the point where monsters would crit, and one-shot a full-health party member. I had to use magic to vanquish random encounters, which I only used on bosses in other FF games. There was also the fact that you lost gil for running from battles.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
    I did have to "cheat" to beat Atomos though; basically, I turned everyone into a dragoon and spammed the jump command, effectively avoiding the bosses powerful magic aoe attacks.
    Even with the scare quotes, that's not cheating. That's totally legit and the best strategy I've ever heard for Atomos.

Honestly, Final Fantasy IV (hard type) is the only FF game I've truly struggled with. The RNG on the moon is insane, to the point where monsters would crit, and one-shot a full-health party member. I had to use magic to vanquish random encounters, which I only used on bosses in other FF games.
    I do not know what you're talking about. The only really hard monsters when you first get to the moon are the Prokaryotes and the Eukaryotes, and even they become mere annoyances by the time you've leveled up a bit.

Going further in, there are lots of randoms in the Lunar Subterrain that could be challenging, but I'm thinking mainly of the Sorceresses and the Red Giants. Blue Dragons are difficult, sure, but you can just run away. There are plenty of other battles you can fight in there to get money, and you don't encounter Blue Dragons often enough for it to become a problem.

The only other monster I can think of that might be doing a lot of damage to you is the Behemoth, and their STR and Attack are just through the tittysmurfing roof. The trick (when you first encounter them) is to use Blink and Image, and avoid magic (it'll counter with Maelstrom [All Ally=Reduced to <10 HP] if you use too powerful a magic, and the regular stuff just bounces off).

It only seems hard to you because you've failed to do your homework, is my point. FFV is much harder than IV. You either have the abilities and items to win in many cases, or you don't, and since a first-time player doesn't know what's coming up until they're in the thick of it, it's extremely common to enter an area where your current job setup is totally inadequate. If you only have equipment for this one setup, then you're screwed and have to go back to town. Don't have enough money? Time to grind some out.

The sheer amount of trout you can buy and find and do in FFV is mind-bending. It is the most complex mainline FF there is.

It's easier than all its predecessors, yet harder than all of its successors. Sure, FFIV was released in the US, but as we all know, its difficulty was watered down.

Honestly, Final Fantasy IV (hard type) is the only FF game I've truly struggled with. The RNG on the moon is insane, to the point where monsters would crit, and one-shot a full-health party member. I had to use magic to vanquish random encounters, which I only used on bosses in other FF games. There was also the fact that you lost gil for running from battles.
    You know that Atmos is way easier if you keep one character ko as he focuses on pulling him/her from one side to the next?

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

You know that Atmos is way easier if you keep one character ko as he focuses on pulling him/her from one side to the next?
    Using a Sacrificial Lamb vs. Staying Out of the Way?

I'd rather just stay out of the way.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I just had the one character KO'd, and revived them when the fight was close to over

I . . . played FFV after Tactics and found it a pretty easy game. I don't remember getting stuck on any bosses, barring Omega and Shinryu for obvious reasons, and my friend who played through it afterwards didn't have problems until he, somehow, ran out of money to throw at things in the final area. I agree with the people who have said it so far: the three NES games are harder. Well, one and three are anyway, two really just depends on your patience for punching yourself in the face for hours on end. :/

Also, regarding the Atmos fight, can't you Kiss of Blessing him? <.<

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post

My Spidey-Sense is telling me that they meant to say "it's too hard for us to translate."
    pooh hah. but fans gave a decent job of it and its better than their PSX translation

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post

pooh hah. but fans gave a decent job of it and its better than their PSX translation
    That was done for free by kids with too much time on their hands. It is frankly a miracle it's as good as it is, and it has several issues.

Professional translations must be done during billable hours, and at that time, it was customary to hire only one translator. Having a team for such a task would have been cost-prohibitive at the time, and it was too big for them to do in-house, I'd wager.

Better to hedge their bets and just save that money to pay FFVI's translator.