View Poll Results: What Does The Chocobo Say?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kweh!

11 34.38%
  • Wark!

12 37.50%
  • BOTH!!!!!!!!

9 28.13%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Does the Chocobo Say?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Wark this way.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    Yep, another one of these

P.S. The correct answer is Kweh
    If you think that's the correct answer then why did you give us an option for wark? The answer is of course that you aren't truly convinced that kweh is the right answer!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

If you don't know how to do it, I'll show you how to Wark the Dog

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

"Wark" is the most amusing.

I don't care what the so called "correct" answer is. I have ears and my ears say that the "correct" answer is wrong.

If you listen to the games, it's very clear that, "wark," is what they're saying, regardless of whether the text says, "wark" or "kweh." Use you're ears, people! Translations don't always make sense. (There's no TH sound in Japanese either, so it's not Aerith, it's Sephiross. Don't believe me? Listen to One-Winged Angel again.)

I was just planning to lurk for a minute this morning because tonight is gonna be a big one... But, I'm very passionate about my chocobo sounds, so... Well, anyways, I had better go.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

There's no arbre in English, either, which is why it's tree. That's kind of how translations work. xD

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    If you listen to the games, it's very clear that, "wark," is what they're saying, regardless of whether the text says, "wark" or "kweh." Use you're ears, people! Translations don't always make sense. (There's no TH sound in Japanese either, so it's not Aerith, it's Sephiross. Don't believe me? Listen to One-Winged Angel again.)
    It isn't. When ficitional names are chosen they are also chosen with a western written version in mind and not only the Kanji/Katakana -> Romaji version like Katakana of Sephiroth -> Sefirosu but actually also "Sephiroth" (it is not always used or sometimes mistranslated but that is an extra topic) so Sefirosu very well is supposed to be Sephiroth or Kuraudo as Cloud and it is not that there is no "th" but that "s" and "th" share the same sound, the "su"-sound. Sephiroth was always supposed to be Sephiroth with the "th" sound which is why he was not spelled "Sefirotto" but "Sefirosu" which can be either "Sephiros" or "Sephiroth" with "th" being correct and the pronounciation as that is the existing and intended word that can either be pronounced "Sephirot" or "Sephiroth" - and that it is not the "t" was already explained as the "tto" would have been used then. And Aerith is Aerith as she is an allusion to Earth. That has been stated in the Kaitai Shinsho even before the new millenium, a Japanese book about Final Fantasy VII supervised by Square that provides information that was only included in that book. Sefiros is only the Japanese pronounciation as no "th" is used. In Japanese my name would be written and pronounced differently and still it is actually the same as it is exactly this intention. And "Wark" was only used because of the sound but that doesn't change the fact that it is "Ku-e".
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 08-07-2014 at 02:40 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    And "Wark" was only used because of the sound but that doesn't change the fact that it is "Ku-e".
    It's definitely a different sound in different games, and it is explained in FFT (if I recall correctly) that Kweh and Wark are two different sounds, much like Yip and Woof are two different sounds for dogs.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    And "Wark" was only used because of the sound but that doesn't change the fact that it is "Ku-e".
    It's definitely a different sound in different games, and it is explained in FFT (if I recall correctly) that Kweh and Wark are two different sounds, much like Yip and Woof are two different sounds for dogs.
    I mean the "Wark" sound of Final Fantasy VII per sé. I compared it to the recurring text line that is permanently used. Or to quote Lightning: "Kue, Kue." Wark sounds like a chicken, Kweh is more like some wild bird. Not that a chicken would not be fitting with farms and all.

And which dog barks "Yip"? Or the popular "Woof"? I mean that people right it "Woff" all the time is clear for me but I already hear a "Harr! Harr! Harr!" or if anything "Wow! Wow! Wow!" if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 08-07-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

The chocobos in FFX make a noise akin to "wee-oo-wee-ee"

Where's that option?!

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The coolest dogs says woof, and the funkiest chocobos say kweh.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Ceej View Post
    I don't care what the so called "correct" answer is. I have ears and my ears say that the "correct" answer is wrong.

If you listen to the games, it's very clear that, "wark," is what they're saying, regardless of whether the text says, "wark" or "kweh." .
    It does depend on the game for me; in FFIX it does sound closer to "kweh". In FFVII it only really sounds like "wark" when the chocobo is angry with someone. When they are normal, it comes out kinda like "hole", but not exactly - kind of "ho-ole", but that doesn't work as an animal sound so they can't use that. When they are supposed to be excited it comes out like "woppie-woo" of all things to me. So ultimately it's how it sounds to you, and often times even real animal sounds don't always sound exactly right to me.

Strange I know.

Do You Like Waffles? DarkBahamut's Avatar

Really opened this thread hoping for a "What Does the Fox Say?" Parody .....

No time for "Dilly-Dallying" or "Shilly-Shallying."
    Props go to the one and only, Proxy, for the signature.