Thread: Do you like modern or classic more?

Default Do you like modern or classic more?

By classic and modern I mean if you prefer the modern world game setting or the middle age?

I myself am not overly impressed by the modern worlds in FFs, I was much bigger fan of the older worlds, what 'bout you?

Articles

Complete opposite for me, I'm a fan of the Modern games. Retro just isn't for me.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I kind of prefer the medieval settings a bit more cause they are delightfully unconventional as opposed to say DQ that plays them straight and I feel games like SMT and Xeno-verse do the more modern/sci-fi elements better than FF ever has.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I have no real preference. I say I'd like to see a new FF go medieval because I think going back to the franchise roots can be good for it, as evident by FFXIV's success. The settings alone aren't what influence what I think is good or bad about a specific addition to the franchise.

It's a little tough to compare for me. What I'd love more than anything is a game with the combat and openness of XII set in a world like VII. So I guess if I could have either, I'd go modern. The worlds of VII and VIII really feel unique (and XIII could have, if you could actually, you know, explore and spend time in it​), whereas medieval worlds even when done well just feel like medieval worlds.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Modern of course! One of the first modern FF in the series (VII) introduced a brothel and another semi modern FF (FF VI) introduced a crazy clown. Two of the things I like best in my life!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I'm not a fan of traditional medieval, but FF has never done traditional medieval, they always have some sort of unique spin on it. So I would say that it depends on the quality of the writing and art more that the type of setting.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am okay with all settings, but I have an attachment to FFVII and FFVIII's look because they are my favorites, and I like how they put technology and fantasy together, and I love how they look like they could be our world (especially FFVIII) so it adds more imagination to me. Like I could picture myself in an FF location when I visited real places, with less of an "adventure place".

I do like how it being a fantasy world in an RPG they can alternate if they want to, like have some towns look reminiscent of one time period, and the others looks like another - the only limit is imagination.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not a huge fan of modern. Futuristic is okay depending on the game. Mostly prefer older

The medieval setting of FF's 1-5 has always been peppered (and increasingly so) with futuristic elements. In FF1, you had the Mirage Tower and the Floating Castle, technological monstrosities from a lost age of futuristic technology, not to mention the Airship. FF2 was more medieval, but still featured Airships. FF3 likewise. FF4 is where the futuristic elements really started happening, what with all the blinky lights in the Tower stages, and the Sleep Pods in the Lunar Whale. FF5 introduced us to the lost civilization of Lonka and all it's technological wizardry, and FF6 went full-on steampunk.

It's not just been since 7, is what I'm saying. FF has always been more futuristic than say, Dragon Warrior or The Legend of Zelda.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    The medieval setting of FF's 1-5 has always been peppered (and increasingly so) with futuristic elements. In FF1, you had the Mirage Tower and the Floating Castle, technological monstrosities from a lost age of futuristic technology, not to mention the Airship. FF2 was more medieval, but still featured Airships. FF3 likewise. FF4 is where the futuristic elements really started happening, what with all the blinky lights in the Tower stages, and the Sleep Pods in the Lunar Whale. FF5 introduced us to the lost civilization of Lonka and all it's technological wizardry, and FF6 went full-on steampunk.

It's not just been since 7, is what I'm saying. FF has always been more futuristic than say, Dragon Warrior or The Legend of Zelda.
    Never said that older FFs were completely medieval but the overall setting was and that's what I liked much more than the steampunk.

Much prefer steampunk to the other options. But I'm kinda glad they haven't went cyberpunk. Can't say I enjoyed having schools or sports played out in my Final Fantasy games. But I also can't say they couldn't have been done well. They just weren't done well

Articles

I've always liked futuristic worlds and for a long time was not interested in sword and sorcery/medieval at all. But recently i've started playing more games set in such worlds and enjoying them.

FFXII's world was interesting for me since it wasn't modern, but still had flying patrol vehicles that the guards fly around in among other things.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I don't think SE does "modern" very well. I much prefer their games in the pseudo-medieval setting.

I really prefer the medieval or semi-modern settings. I am not a huge fan of futurist or modern setting.