Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was your first?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default What was your first?

Princess Mononoke for me. I was young, it was badass. After that I was at the point where I thought the other ones were too baby for me (spirited away) it wasn't until a few years later when I watched the others.

What was your first Ghibli film?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Spirited Away was my first. I didn't like it, haha. I love it now, but yeah.

Actually, I may have seen some of Kiki's Delivery Service before that... but I don't remember for sure if I ever watched any of that one.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I don't remember - I think it was most likely Spirited Away, but it could have been Princess Mononoke.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Princess Mononoke. My cousins got a copy of it from the local Blockbuster and I watched it. I watched it again recently using a copy from my local Blockbuster, it felt the same as when I first watched it.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I can't remember if it was the Nausicaa manga, Spirited Away, or Princess Mononoke...

Blog Entries

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, though it's technically not a Studio Ghibli film since it was made before the studio was formed. If that doesn't count, I think either Kiki's Delivery Service or Porco Rosso was my first one. I wasn't really hooked by either of those two though, although I've come to appreciate them now. Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke really won me over though. I'm not sure if I really understood them back then as a kid, but I remember being pretty amazed by the mystical wonder of the city of Laputa and the Forest Spirit in Mononoke.

I've got some catching up to do though. The most recent Ghibli film I've seen was Ponyo.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Spirited Away was my first. I actually watched it in Japanese because kawaii desu!

Nah, I think it was just the first one I acquired from the internet. I cannot remember what spurned me on to seek it out though.

I have since watched all of the ones (legally) available to me in the West. :3

Articles

Sprited away. It was the first movie I saw in the cinema without parental supervision too. My brothers and I went into Glasgow and watched it when I was about 11 or so. Ah to be young

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was just getting into anime at the time I found out Princess Mononoke was being released in the art house theaters. It changed my life and made me want to be a writer or film director. It is not only my favorite Miyazaki film but my favorite film of all time and if you ever have the chance to see in in a theater, I highly recommend it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm not sure! I think it's actually Kiki's Delivery Service, but maybe Spirited Away? One of those two!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Spirited Away. The movie spirited me away to a newfound land of wonderful ghibli.

I think Mononoke? I know I had seen the Ghibli logo in previous "affiliated" movies, but I don't think I'd seen a legit in-house production from them before that. It's a wonder the movie is not my favorite. I honestly think I probably enjoy it a lot more than the others. But my favorite is Nausicaa (as Mo said, not really Ghibli, but you'd really have to split hairs to legitimately argue that. Basically it was theirs just before they had that particular name). Nausicaa isn't actually as entertaining as Mononoke, but there's a lot more I appreciate about it. The drama and characters are a little more realistic to me. Mononoke is more of a good fantasy. But a lot of those things wouldn't actually happen if that were a real world. The things in Nausicaa I can totally see happening. The attitudes and struggles and character developments. Miyazaki had a craft in legitimate drama and subtlety that most of Japan struggles to create even to this day. And I still call them out on confusing melodrama for real drama. They all should have taken a page from his book

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually, if I'm going to go by something that Studio Ghibli worked on but isn't actually affiliated with them, I would say it's this:

875707005524.jpg

Ohhh, that's kind of a guilty pleasure movie for me. I adored it when I was young for some reason. So I still find myself glad that it exists, even if it is a little silly and weird

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, I didn't know Little Nemo had Ghibli people working on it! That was my first anime movie I ever saw!