Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Play The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening DX

Articles

Default Let's Play The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening DX

Let's Play the Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

Inspired by the rest of the let's play posts in here, I've decided to toss my hat into the mix and run one based on my first Zelda game, Link's Awakening DX. This is the game boy colour version of the Link's Awakening. Remade with more content and shiny visuals compared to the original version. Without further ado, let's begin.

The Story Starts out with a small cinematic of a ship on the ocean, Who could be riding on this vessel during such a storm?

Oh, It's just link.

Hey Buddy, you doing okay? You look a bit pale.

Oooohh….

Cut to the beachfront, and we see a young woman walking down the beach. She stops and starts running to the right.

Gaspu~ It's Link. He survived the storm and washed up on land. How lucky he Is to have a young lady find him, eh?

So we're starting the game now. As per Zelda rules, you cannot name your character anything remotely normal for Immaturity reasons

I think "Fartz" should do. So we begin the story of Fartz .

So we wake up, tossing and turning in a bed. The girl from before is watching us sleep. Fartz Wakes up and Is greeted by the sexy lady from the opening cinematic.

Good to know this isn't Zelda. I don't think any of us were thinking that though. Marin tells you that you were shipwrecked and that you're on Koholint Island. That's all the story you get, so let's get to it!

Fartz sure has some energy to jump out of bed like that, especially after a shipwreck. First thing in the morning I just fall out of bed.

So did I sleep in Marin's Bed… Or Tarin's Bed… Very important to know what bed Fartz has been in

So that's how he knew my name. I was worried he might be a crazy stalker.

Seems this crazy stalker is giving me back my shield. First a stalker, now a THIEF. What next Tarin?

Reclaiming his shield and keeping a watchful eye on Tarin, Fartz leaves the building. The only lead we have just now is to check out the beach where we washed up. Some of Fartz belonging's may be washed up there. So let's head there first

Quickly running past the most dangerous enemy in the game, we follow the path.

Quickly running past the big black blob and cats

And into some kids playing ball. I decide to wait until they throw it so I can get out their way.

HOLY CRAP IT'S A GIANT SQUID ON LAND! RUN AWAY. Just when I ink I lost him, there are more at the beach. Along with spikes.

I hate when spikes poke out the ground at the beach. There are wooden planks around, so my hunch about ship wreckage washing up was right.

This spiky guy is in the way here, but at least he's not poking out the ground. I'll just move him out the way so that people can walk on the beach

There that should do. Nice and out the way of harm. I've called him Spiky. He's my new best friend on Koholint. Better than Tarin at least

NO SPIKY! THAT OWL IS COMING TO EAT YOU! RUN AWAY!

NO SPIKY! THAT OWL TALKS! WE'LL BE HERE ALL DAY! RUN AWAY!

Blah blah plot

Blah, blah, trapped here forever

Salmon with Flatulence, got it.

Listen here M8. I would go north, but me and Spiky are kind of trapped by text boxes here.

So the owl finally leaves and I pick up the sword that was lying on the beach.

Fartz is all over the blade. Wonder if that was intentional. Just to test out the sword, Link takes a swing himself

SPIKY!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't hold that sword aloft with pride. You just murdered Spiky. Your best friend on the island. RIP Spiky

Murdering Spiky's family now. What is wrong with you, Fartz?

So after Sea Urchin genocide, we stumble across a house on the beach

Um… here are my questions

1. Why does that Alligator have a beret?
    2. Why is that bed submerged in water?
    3. Why are there stacks of Banana's in the corner?

Against all better judgement, Fartz decides to talk to l'alligator.

That's an unusual hobby there. Collecting canned foods. Why don't I see any here though… You must be terrible at your hobby.

That or you're just weird. Fartz quickly runs out the door and heads back to town.

Sea urchins beware of Link. Or they would if he didn't just kill them all. Next to the signpost is an acorn looking thing

Yep, acorn looking thing. This is a Guardian Acorn. Cuts damage by half. Is normally a life saver. Also give a killer tune when played

This looks like a nice date spot, minus all the spikes. Wonder if I can take a lady here someday…

You started me at the beginning, but now I've got a sword! Who needs courage when you've got a sword?! *Schwing*. Before heading back to town, Fartz has a has a look around the area.

You've got to be squidding me… A family of squids. I walked into their nest with the blood of first squid still fresh on Fartz sword. I'm sure they're mad

This place looks promising. I can probably hide here to escape the horde of Squids I just engaged by killing their friends. Let's check it out.

Hmm.. Guess I need to find the "Tale Keyhole". I get it, because this is the start of my story! Fartz will need to face the upcoming squid horde and make it back to town to find more clues on how to open this gate. There might be sweet loot inside.

Will Fartz Survive the horde of Squids? Will we ever see Spiky again? What's the deal with the owl? Will Tarin continue to be a massive weirdo?

None of these questions and more will be answered in the next instalment of Lets Play Link's Awakening DX!
    Last edited by Dat Matt; 08-09-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sweet! I love this game.

And in before Adequate says it's terribad.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    And in before Adequate says it's terribad.
    There actually exists a person dead enough inside not to love the greatest Zelda game ever made?! What madness is this?!

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Smash

Great choice for a Let's Play! I loved this game. Good stuff, but...

... it wouldn't be a Dat_Matt Production w/o a few factual errors & me dickishly pointing them out.

1. the "black blob" is a Chain Chomp from the Mario series.
    2. those are dogs, not cats.
    3. The Alligator's hat has a brim, so it can't be a beret.

Articles

Did editor guy.

Aside from chain chomp though, I didn't know the rest. Not changing it though xD

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Matt View Post
    I felt this line was worthy of repetition.

Epic foreshadowing.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

Tarin's first sentence, Fartz snaps. Will sum up my feelings during this gameplay.

I'll probably work on a new segment tomorrow. I just need to write some witty banter to keep ya'll entertained.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You did not name him Fartz

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    You did not name him Fartz
    It's the short version of an old Scottish name, Fartzsimmons.

Articles

I initially wanted to call him "Thunder Butt" however that didn't first in the 5 character name field. Fartz was a close second.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Matt View Post
    I initially wanted to call him "Thunder Butt" however that didn't first in the 5 character name field. Fartz was a close second.
    Is that Shauna's nickname for you?

Articles

Been like 4 weeks since my last update! I am good at producing content eh?

So on the last instalment, we got our sword found a freaky alligator, made it to the Tale Cave and were about to Fight a legion of Squids to make it back to town alive. I can tell you now that the fight against the endless horde of enemies went successfully and you did not have to witness the 40 hours long battle it was something like this. Anyway, back to Kohalint.

Passing the kids playing ball on the way home, Fartz decide to investigate. Checking out the first open door he sees.

What is this place, it's filled with books. I bet only nerds come here

Hold the phone. This sound interesting. I wonder what Dark Secrets and Mysteries Kohalint holds.

YES I want to read this sodding book.

¬_¬

Last time I trust nerd buidlings. That's it, I'm out. I'm going to find the highest ledge and jump. Screw getting off this island

That'll do

Fartz regrets everything, and sinks away into the darkness
    Thanks for tuning in. It's been a good run

Oh, it’s a well. With stairs out. I guess Fartz lives another day.

I suppose this suicide attempt had a plus side. I found a piece of my broken heart. Fartz walks into town. I find Marin.

First thing you're talking about is your dad, and he's find Shrooms in the woods. I knew this guy was shady.

Singing is slightly better I suppose. She sings "Ballad of the Wind Fish" which appears often. I decide to visit the local shop

Drat. Foiled again. You can steal from this store, but I don't want to. Everyone calls you THIEF if you do. Fartz ain't no thief. Fartz goes for a wander around town and stumbles into a family home.

She is the mother of all the boys around the Village. I think there are four. It's a lot of boys.

I bet baby wants my Yoshi Doll, Dirty Girl.

Oh, Might be that. This place is called the trendy game. I also call it the bank, because I know how to win every game.

See. You just move the crane over to the first pillar, and when the top of the item reaches the top of the up arrows on the second pillar where it turns left. Move it down to the point where the arrows point left and you'll catch the item every time.

Fartz also picks up the Yoshi Doll. For baby of course. I cleaned this guy out of 60 Rupees, Magic Powder and the Yoshi Doll, all while spending 40 rupees. 20 Rupees profit! I jump outside and explore more of the town

Umm.. What is this place? Is that a dumbell on the roof?

Is that a.. phone? What is this contraption. It doesn't have a touch screen, or even a number pad. Stupid dead technology. Jokes aside, this place is designed to offer direction and advice in the game. Guy called Ulrira answers the phones and offers advice

Don't make me think about that place. You monster.

Goodness. The Ball wasn't a ball after all. It was a monster all along, Teeth and everything. I'm going to complain to the owner for keeping such a vicious beast

YIP. It's a baby monster. There is no reasoning with this woman. Best scout the house, she might have more dark secrets

She has 3rd dog. This one talks. What sort of mutant are you? She wants Accessories? Is that to brighten up the place considering that there are animal bones on the floor. This place is dark…

I decide to pop over and trade in the Yoshi Doll. Give baby the doll This starts the trading Minigame.

She has only boys, but the item she fives is a ribbon. Maybe she always wanted a girl. I feel sorry for her.

Anyways. that's me done messing around in town for now. Time to head to the mysterious forest, like the owl told me to.

Thanks. That was helpful. Stupid Sign.

Will you just leave me alone?

I'm just here to look In a forest. What you on about?

I've heard it's Mysterious

Don't you mean Tale Cave? Right?

Is he creepy as Tarin? Speaking of which he should be in forest. Lets keep an eye out for him.

Finding some Moblins in the Woods. Best Murder them.

Is that part of the Triforce?

It is. It's the Piece of Power, Yo. An item that double attack power for a period. It's rad. Makes killing everything I encounter easier!

Like this guy! Turns out I can't kill him, so I just ignore him and move on.

What'd you say mate? I'mma stab you.

Thanks for revealing your weakness! Dusts and powder eh? Have I got anything like that? Maybe I'll try that stuff from the trendy game

Take that nerd.

Ummm…

What are you doing?

Please stop your nonsense

HOLY CRAP! I'M SO SORRY RACCOON I DIDN'T KNOW POWDER MAKES YOU EXPLODE!

Oh. It's only Tain. Maybe it's a side effect of the mushrooms he was taking. Maybe I was taking some too… Heading north where before I would get lost

You mean the Tale Key… Right? I'm starting to get confused. Is this key for the same place?

You're back again. I told you to leave me alone.

Wait. I'm going into a scary looking cave to get an instrument? Sounds like a dumb thing to
    potentially be risking your life for. Stupid ass owl

I'm just exploding the place up today. This is the effect of the Piece of power. Maybe that's why the racoon exploded when I used the powder.

Squid horde fight #2. This tim I have a 'splodey sword. They don't stand a chance

They didn't stand a chance

So I'm here at the entrance to Tale Cave. With the Tail key. If this works then there the localisation team overlooked this

Crap. I better go in to this scary looking cave to go and get a dumb instrument or something stupid like that.

That's us for this instalment. Heading into the Tail Cave next time.

Maybe I'll consider not waiting a month to put up the next entry as well xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

A Zelda game I've sadly played far too little of.

Does the owl theme music from OoT plays in anyone else's head when the owl shows up here?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All this time of playing, and I didn't notice the "Tale/Tail" thing. As a guess I would say "Tail" is what it was supposed to be all the way, as you will soon see.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    A Zelda game I've sadly played far too little of.

Does the owl theme music from OoT plays in anyone else's head when the owl shows up here?
    The owl theme in this is super freaking boring.