Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ups and downs of FFX

Default Ups and downs of FFX

Surely these topics were done to death in the last year but I figured why not make new one again since we have now HD remaster so many people revisited the game and many people played it for first time recently.

Basically what do you think the game does good and what isn't so awesome.

I'll start.

The good:

Storyline - Surely many of the earlier games had much bigger worlds and broader stories, but I really enjoyed FFX's story and I didn't mind it's simplicity.

Battle system - I have nothing against the old ATB but I just crave toying around with turn based systems where I can see who has next turn and I can actually manipulate it. This really sticks out when playing NSG games. That leads me to...

Level up system - For many, not having the classic level up system was a turn in the wrong way but I personally really enjoy the fact I can actually make the characters the way I want them instead of being set in a straight line.

Villian - Okay let me elaborate a bit on this. The villian of the Spira world is basically Sin and within him the subconsciously summoning Yu Yevon. They aren't like the villians in previous games where there actually was some kind of mastermind that wanted to destroy/rule/etc. the whole world like Kefka/Sephiroth/Ultimecia/Kuja to name a few.
    The Sin isn't really malevolent and evil but it's just causing ruckus based on instincts and yet he's the one you must beat. Not to really save the world, the Sin was around for 1000 years, it's purpose isn't to end all life. You just want to give people peace. Okay I am bad at this, I am sure this is confused but I kinda hope you will understand what I mean.
    Of course there is Seymour who acts as a villian to the main party and his intentions are pretty much the same as those of older game villians but he is really just supporting villian.

The rotten religion - This is really a part of the storyline but I just really enjoyed the motif.

Aeons - Simple. I love using aeons as normal characters.

The bad:

Linear world - while I didn't mind the linearity of the game, it's really just one path with few crossroads there and there. It would've been better if there was a little more to explore.

Tidus name - I personally think it was wrong to give players option of naming just Tidus making it so that he cannot be really called with name in the voice acting and X-2. Either let us change everyone's name or keep it to just Aeons.

Voice acting - again, this didn't really bother me as much and I think it was definitely a step in the right way but I do agree that most of the voice acting isn't really top notch.

Well that's probably all from me. So what about you?

The bad:

Linear world - while I didn't mind the linearity of the game, it's really just one path with few crossroads there and there. It would've been better if there was a little more to explore.

Tidus name - I personally think it was wrong to give players option of naming just Tidus making it so that he cannot be really called with name in the voice acting and X-2. Either let us change everyone's name or keep it to just Aeons.

Voice acting - again, this didn't really bother me as much and I think it was definitely a step in the right way but I do agree that most of the voice acting isn't really top notch.
    Pretty much all of this.

Also would personally include Seymour here, as I felt personally that he was a rather weak villain and was more creepy in a pedophile who sits in a fake ice cream truck waiting to steal away young children manner than a " I'm going to kill you and destroy everything that you love and hold close way " like Kuja and Kefka.

FFXIV Character

Height07 (Istory)

The bad - blitzball
    (Pls let it be mercury sigil, pls let it be mercury sigil... an elixir?! Nooooooooooooo)

The good- everything else

Quote Originally Posted by jeo2388 View Post
    The bad - blitzball
    (Pls let it be mercury sigil, pls let it be mercury sigil... an elixir?! Nooooooooooooo)
    Well you can easily manipulate this though

I am covering both parts.

Good: Touching story and the world actually lives which is pretty ironic. It has a very good score in my opinion. If you ask me the story of X-2 is even more touching with Shuyin and Lenne.

Bad: The villain is not [Sin] as [Sin] is nothing but a shell, the host is the Fayth which definitely does not want to destroy and Sin only follows an order that the Fayth cannot always resist. Yevon=Ju/Yu-Yevon is merely a leftover of a summoner that hardly reflects any evil mind with an evil masterplan. It is more like the fragment of a program. The order of Yevon is as much of a side villain as all those "company/empire/government" villains but in direct comparison to other worlds, no matter how often people debate this; Seymour is the main villain/the one who comes the closest to the main villain. He is active as a single character very early, something that counts for all main villains, even those whose body is only seen way later, he has his villanious theme-variety, he got the spotlight character-wise how he is and why he is like that (something that is not the case for every main villain but recently the Final Fantasy villains are mor defined than those who are much older) and his goal "the better for the world" includes something negative for everyone while he has no intention to let go of it. He continously reappears in the story and shows his influence, being in a political way or just because of his power in terms of "offensive power". He is way more focussed on as a character than Yevon=Ju or the order of Yevon ever is - not that you can really speak of the order as one character because it isn't. Yevon is constantly shown to do bad things for people, also for a long time but that is also the case for the Empire or ShinRa or anything and neither Gestahl, nor Rufus were the main villains. Seymour goes his way, trying to use all the power he has to reach his goal even if it means that he has to involve others like Yuna to get what he wants and he has first the goal of becoming [Sin] by becoming a Fayth to learn to control himself completely and destroy the world then and later when he fails he still tries to do it a different way by entering [Sin] and intending to control him even without becoming a Final Aeon. Now the only wasted moment for Seymour is that he has had no place in the final battle but still he was included in the dungeon because of his permanent presence in the story and his relevance. I understand that the whole Jecht story was important but Seymour afterwards still could have appeared. He was just too present in the story and predicted to be bad by Tidus and everything to deserve what he got. And if Will is the prelude to a sequel I would not be surprised to see him included. One of his themes directly before the souls and [Sin] appear being played just seems very suspicious.

Shuyin and Lenne were not clearly defined in their existence the way they were shown. Lenne was actually Lenne as it was her consciousness but Shuyin was just described to be "a shadow"; the emotions of the true Shuyin that began to react and live on his own. That means pretty much a clone with the original feelings of Shuyin. That would not mean anything for the real Shuyin's soul however, except it is meant, as it were the original Shuyin's original feelings, that his soul can also find peace. That was not defined well enough but it is actually the only thing that makes sense because bringing peace to a shadow clone that has been created through the real emotions getting their own consciousness while the original Shuyin itself still does not rest peacefully is no good for the story at all. This is the only thing making sense but I wish it would have been implied to be like that and not only left over to be thought about like "well, this guy is not the one but what is with the other one - he must be involved as he can't just be written like he would never find his peace". I mean Lenne's consciousness still existed and spirits can still continue to exist in the living world so it could also have been the real Shuyin's consciousness that animated everything but for that Bahamut was too focussed on saying "he is a shadow the real Shuyin is dead" which is troublesome.
    I like sidequests very much but this is just too packed in those chapters. I would like most of them to be either in the last chapter or at least not being missable.

Will is not good for me the way it is now. That should be continued.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 08-07-2014 at 02:11 PM.

FFXIV Character

Height07 (Istory)

Quote Originally Posted by Ergroilnin View Post
    The bad - blitzball
    You can? I didn't know. how exactly?

But either way you still have to go through with it. And for me, it's just not fun at all.

SIGSIG

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Nice post man but if I might... You should really work on your spacing. Those walls of text are really hard to read and look pretty intimidating ._.

The bad - blitzball
    You can? I didn't know. how exactly?

But either way you still have to go through with it. And for me, it's just not fun at all.
    Well best way is really to just keep resetting the data till the prize shows up, you can win against anyone at lvl 1 if you got Tidus Jecht Shot. I am too OCD to let my levels go though, so I reset just before start till Attack Reels shows up and after winning them, I save and reload till desired prize is up on either tournament or league again. If you do it like this, you have to only go through like 40 or 50 matches total for all overdrives and the sigil.

Nice post man but if I might... You should really work on your spacing. Those walls of text are really hard to read and look pretty intimidating ._.
    There is nothing and no reason to be intimidated.

Good: Pretty much everything

Bad: That laughing scene

Articles

The laughing scene really didn't bother me when I played it (or maybe it traumatised me so bad my brain blocked it out), either way i'm curious.

Do you dislike the laughing scene as you think its poor/bad and should not be in the game?
    or
    You get why its there and what the characters are doing, but just find it cringe worthy?

I feel its one of these often misunderstood sections where it's intentionally bad, but many think it is just rubbish voice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Uchu View Post
    The laughing scene really didn't bother me when I played it (or maybe it traumatised me so bad my brain blocked it out), either way i'm curious.

Do you dislike the laughing scene as you think its poor/bad and should not be in the game?
    or
    You get why its there and what the characters are doing, but just find it cringe worthy?

I feel its one of these often misunderstood sections where it's intentionally bad, but many think it is just rubbish voice work.
    I personally never had any problems with the laughing scene, I understand what is it about and why is it there. Really most people who hate it imo just immeadiately thought, this looks stupid omg and didn't give it a second thought.

I get why it's there and it makes sense, I just thought it was cringe worthy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Good:
    -Aeons
    -Some of the characters
    -The world
    -The Sin/Znarkand/Yu Yevon/Bevelle plot twist

Bad:
    -Seymour
    -Linear
    -Blitzball

Medium:
    -Sphere Grid

FFXIV Character

Height07 (Istory)

The bad - blitzball
    Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    Good:
    -Aeons
    -Some of the characters
    -The world
    -The Sin/Znarkand/Yu Yevon/Bevelle plot twist

Bad:
    -Seymour
    -Linear
    -Blitzball

Medium:
    -Sphere Grid
    I on the hand embraced the linearity. Do all the story quests now and then do the side stuff post game. To me it felt more organized this way. And I didn't have to worry about being OP because I was tempted to do too much sidequests.

SIGSIG

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Uchu View Post
    The laughing scene really didn't bother me when I played it (or maybe it traumatised me so bad my brain blocked it out), either way i'm curious.Do you dislike the laughing scene as you think its poor/bad and should not be in the game?orYou get why its there and what the characters are doing, but just find it cringe worthy?I feel its one of these often misunderstood sections where it's intentionally bad, but many think it is just rubbish voice work.
    I personally never had any problems with the laughing scene, I understand what is it about and why is it there. Really most people who hate it imo just immeadiately thought, this looks stupid omg and didn't give it a second thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by arenzi View Post
    I get why it's there and it makes sense, I just thought it was cringe worthy.
    Ah, fair enough. It such an infamous scene in the FF world but the way people talk about it has always made me wonder why they actually disliked it.