View Poll Results: Which Xeno Games Have You Played?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Xenogears

28 75.68%
  • Xenosaga I

22 59.46%
  • Xenosaga II

16 43.24%
  • Xenosaga III

12 32.43%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

19 51.35%
  • I haven't played any, but I want to!

4 10.81%
  • I haven't played any and I'm not interested

1 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have You Played Any Xeno Games?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Have You Played Any Xeno Games?

As far as I know, there is Xenogears, Xenosaga I-III, and Xenoblade, but feel free to mark any down if I forgot any

I have played all of those games although I only played Xenogears very shortly

I have played them all. Xenogears much later than most folks, but so glad I tried it. The stories in all of these games are top-notch.

I have played and completed them all, outside of the Pied Piper Cell Phone game that was a Xenosaga Spin off, though I did read the story translation and it was excellent.

Gears was, as some of you know, my least favorite.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I played Xenosaga Episode I and a demo of Xenogears. I purchased a digital copy of Xenogears on PSN not too long ago so I plan to play the full version at some point in the future.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I've only completed Gears and the first Saga, but I've played at least some of the the second Saga and Blade.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I've played them all and beaten all but Blade.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Played and finished them all. I adore Tetsuya Takahashi and Soraya Saga and really wish they hadn't left Square. I am also looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles X for the Wii U.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know absolutely nothing about these games. Like, nothing.

Articles

Haven't played any before, but i'm quite interested in Xenoblade Chronicles X. Also wouldn't mind giving the original ago. Didn't that one come about due to many of the ideas being rejected for FINAL FANTASY VII?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Uchu View Post
    Haven't played any before, but I'm quite interested in Xenoblade Chronicles X. Also wouldn't mind giving the original ago. Didn't that one come about due to many of the ideas being rejected for FINAL FANTASY VII?
    It was originally pitched as FFVII but was rejected for being too dark for an FF game it was also considered at one time to be a sequel to Chrono Trigger which is much more obvious in the plot. Finally it turned into a multi-part series but Square chose not to pick it up and so the development team left after finishing Chrono Cross and formed Monolith Soft.

Xenosaga is basically a reboot/re-imagining of the franchise but due to executive meddling and poor management, the series was cut short. Later Nintendo bought out Monolith Soft and they became a Second Party developer for them. Xenoblade Chronicles was originally called Monado: Birth of the World but was changed by Nintendo into a Xeno title to honor Tetsuya Takahashi (creator and director of the Xeno titles) though I expect it was more for marketing recognition cause the Xeno games are such cult favorites it would increase interest.

One interesting thing about Xenoblade Chronicles is that it was apparently a test run of different game play and world mechanics for the project the team really wanted to do which is Xenoblade Chronicles X.

The Xenogears and Xenosaga are most (in)famous for their heavy character and story narratives. In fact Xenogears' Second Disc and Xenosaga Episode 1 have both been criticized for their lopsided story/cutscene to gameplay ratios and the term interactive movie gets thrown around a lot, despite this issue, most people agree the story is good so they don't quite get the same flak as other games guilty of this. Amusingly, FFXIII actually borrows a ton of game design elements from Episode 2 of Xenosaga such as a battle system focused on breaking an opponents guard before you can do more damage and trying to remove the dungeon-town-dungeon formula with very mixed results.

Xenoblade Chronicles on the other hand is Takahashi learning from his mistake of focusing purely on plot and cutscenes, instead he decided to make a game based first on gameplay and then wrote the plot afterwards.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I played Xenogears a few times. One of my favorite PS1 era RPGs.

I played Xenosaga Episode 1 and got bored after the first five or so hours of cutscenes and gave up on it.

Never played any of the others.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Absolutely fell in love with Xenogears and still can't get enough of that game some days. Only ever played through it to completion once though since it's so huge, and I have a life now, the last few attempts always found me distracted by life events for too long to get back into it properly

Sadly Xenoblade Chronicles keeps getting the same fate, and I've yet to beat that game even once. I still love it though. But I've restarted it twice lol

I think I beat Xenosaga 1, but wasn't really impressed with it, and had no interest in following it into its 2 sequels. I've debated on replaying it through the DS release of 1 and 2 and see how that goes, and then maybe play 3 on PS2 since that one is everyone's favorites, but that would all depend on how improved the DS version is. Which sounds almost like an impossibility so I don't hold my breath

But I guess that's it. I played on in each franchise

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've only played/beaten Xenosaga episode 1. It's not a bad movie, but it's a pretty awful game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I only played Xenogears. In many ways, it was the best and worst JRPG I've ever played. See Vivi's commentary on Xenosaga above.

One of the best EoFF threads was NeoCracker's let's play of Xenogears 2 or 3 years ago. Some of the finest internet trolling I've ever seen.