Thread: Would you like to see an expanded remake of this?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chocobo Would you like to see an expanded remake of this?

I'm talking about turning it into a more modern story based RPG. What do you think? What would you like to see in a modern updated remake of this game?

Cinematics would be a plus for this game...it feels a little flat, like a soft drink that's been left out for too long.

Also, get a 5 person party going and shake up the characters a bit. It would make it only the second FF in history to allow 5 characters at a time, if you don't count The After Years, which I don't because it grinds my gears pretty bad.

Could you imagine if you could have Leila and Leon in the party at the end? It sure would make things more interesting.

Also, get a proper ability system in place of some sort. And I wanna see stackable items and an inventory space set up more like FF4's. Giving you unlimited space in your inventory seems like cheating, but the limits that are currently in place are just too demanding!

And the leveling system should be based on any and all damage to your HP, like, it could be based on your vitality stat. For every one HP you lose, you get Vitality/2 HP increase...that should even out the HP curve.

And make it every 25 times you use a weapon or spell, you level up, for goodness sakes, or at least make it reasonable in some way. Having to cast a spell 100 times to level it up is even dumber than FFVIII's Draw system. Secret of Mana did the same thing, but made it so the lower levels level up faster than the higher levels, and it was brilliant.

And a more rocked-out drum part for the battle theme would be far more suitable...the rum-te-tum marches get on my nerves.

Articles
    Blog Entries

No. I want Square to stop remaking all their older titles and focus on new stuff.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I think there is a lot that could be added/done to this game. That said I think it requires enough tweaking that if you don't have a team talented enough to do a new IP then they are going to fail at it.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    Cinematics would be a plus for this game...it feels a little flat, like a soft drink that's been left out for too long.

Also, get a 5 person party going and shake up the characters a bit. It would make it only the second FF in history to allow 5 characters at a time, if you don't count The After Years, which I don't because it grinds my gears pretty bad.

Could you imagine if you could have Leila and Leon in the party at the end? It sure would make things more interesting.

Also, get a proper ability system in place of some sort. And I wanna see stackable items and an inventory space set up more like FF4's. Giving you unlimited space in your inventory seems like cheating, but the limits that are currently in place are just too demanding!

And the leveling system should be based on any and all damage to your HP, like, it could be based on your vitality stat. For every one HP you lose, you get Vitality/2 HP increase...that should even out the HP curve.

And make it every 25 times you use a weapon or spell, you level up, for goodness sakes, or at least make it reasonable in some way. Having to cast a spell 100 times to level it up is even dumber than FFVIII's Draw system. Secret of Mana did the same thing, but made it so the lower levels level up faster than the higher levels, and it was brilliant.

And a more rocked-out drum part for the battle theme would be far more suitable...the rum-te-tum marches get on my nerves.
    I don't know the technical details, but the Dawn of Souls version (and maybe the PSP? no idea) rebalanced some of the leveling aspects. Magic was nowhere near 100 casts per level, for sure.

This game does have insane potential if it were remade. The story has potential to be something special.

i love the rebel army theme.

Change the characters to a specific class instead of a blank slate and you choosing what they are for them. Removes all character I believe. Way too many random encounters, dungeons were tedious with traps and trap rooms. Also too easy, but tedious. Final boss dies in 2 full power Ultimas or a couple hits with blood sword. Arcane Labyrinth and ultimate weapons is way too complicated to deal with. Story progression is confusing, you have an idea of where to go but not what character to talk to and what keywords to learn. It's very tedious. Change those and you have a gem, but they improved on future ff's. FFIV is ideal imo. Change FFII to FFIV system but keep the story.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Bring it on. I think it would be thoughtful to look back on something from such a long time ago and try to flesh it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    What do you mean? Leon is in your party at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    No. I want Square to stop remaking all their older titles and focus on new stuff.
    You can have both.