Thread: Poor Reks: An Unexpected Prologue

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Poor Reks: An Unexpected Prologue

I was just thinking about the intro of this game.

People give Square Enix a lot of flak for not permanently killing off too many characters, and here they are getting rid of someone 10 minutes in.

Imagine someone who went into this game with no prior knowledge of the characters or the story and they think Reks is going to be with them for their whole journey, then the rug gets swept out from under their feet! It's an intriguing start to an epic game.

Did you see this coming? Even if you loaded up the game and already knew he wasn't one of the main characters, did you think he would be a minor character that makes various appearances throughout the game?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'd rather have reks in the main game than vaan

oh btw
    reks gor rekt
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Yeah but it's not a big deal, as we have no emotional attachment to Reks having just met him. It's like in Game of Thrones when someone dies in the prologue chapter every time. You obviously care more when Ned gets his bonce lopped off.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Who Reks is to the player doesn't really matter @ that point of the game. It's kind of like if they let you play as Chappu in the Prologue in FFX. Albeit, Chappu matters a lot more to the overall story in X than Reks did in XII.

I thought it was a clever tutorial and prologue, but the rest of the game kind of fails to back it up to it's full potential.

Still creative and I respect it for that.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I enjoyed Reks, it's true you don't have much emotional attachment to him in the beginning and thus his death isn't a big deal to you but as the game opens up and you start finding out things about him, you start feeling bad for his death and maybe even a bit guilty that you the player didn't care when he died until after you found out how much of a swell guy he was.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I think most of the emotion that comes with playing as Reks is not the 10 or so minutes you get to play as him, but the fact that you play as Vaan and vicariously experience the loss through his situation.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't remember him dying. I just remember the opening of the game being awesome and wanting more. It's bad when the prologue is more exciting than the main game.