Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Movies

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Another Dark City can, high five!
    high5.gif

There's a specific version of Dark City you'd want to watch though, and I believe it's probably the director's cut. But whichever it is, be aware that ONE of them opens with a narration that completely spoils the ending for some dumbass reason. I learned of this after watching the one that did not have this, and while looking at posts about it learned that the movie experience was totally ruined for a lot of people

FFXIV Character

The director's cut is sans the opening narration, so that's the one you want to see. The opening narration was added in post-production as an afterthought by the bigwigs to make the movie more accessible, but as any fan of DC knows, its "inaccessibility" is what makes it interesting and beautiful.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Godfather and Godfather 2.
    As much as he should, he will never watch those. He hates gang related films.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    I'm not a movie fan at all, but there is some that I absolutely loved. I'm not gonna include comedies because everyones humour is different (Freddy Got Fingered is the funniest piece of television I have ever witnessed). If you haven't seen them, I'd recommend:

District 9
    Avatar (which everyone has seen)

I could go on but those are what I'd recommend. I know for a fact that anyone within reason would have a an amazing time looking at them.
    I said older than 2008 and I am pretty sure he as seen both.

I actually got him to watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Fifth Element, and Labyrinth already. He loved them all. He said smurf no to Shawshank though.

Out of these lists he's also seen The Matrix, The Goonies (any one born is the 80s and 90s has seen this) Tropic Thunder, Zoolander, Ghostbusters (the first one only apparently) Jurassic Park, Mortal Kombat, all Pixar movies, all Will Smith movies, all the Underworld movies, and all the super hero movies listed. That's actually really sad. What has he been doing for years?!

I will start off with Dark City, because I actually haven't seen that either and it's been on my to-watch-list since 2008. xD Thanks all! Keep 'em comin'.

Excellent first choice. Just watch out for that non-director's cut version

Blog Entries

Back to the Future
    Indiana Jones
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

FFXIV Character

After Dark City, whatever you think about him, you should watch a Robin Williams movie. I'll recommend which one in an edit. Just because.

EDIT:
    If you don't (or he doesn't) like Williams' particular brand of tomfoolery, he's also been in quite a few movies in which he doesn't play himself (go figure, right?).

Of those, I'd recommend:
    What Dreams May Come**
    Dead Poets Society***
    Bicentennial Man**
    The Fisher King***
    The World According to Garp**
    Last edited by chionos; 08-12-2014 at 12:54 AM.

I've always hated that he got type-casted like Jim Carey. Maybe he should have teamed up with Adam Sandler who also got tired of the type-casting, made his own studio, used the type-casting to his advantage, and then landed in Spanglish. Which was a phenomenally well done departure

I know Williams was in things like One Hour Photo and Good Will Hunting. But sadly I haven't seen any of those, and nobody I know has seen any of that stuff. His deviations are not readily available and I hate that. I'm gonna freakin pirate some Robin Williams movies or something >.> And maybe Spanglish

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

:monster:

Everyone who's recommending Tom Cruise needs to go pound sand.

Dark Knight Trilogy
    King Kong (2005)
    Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
    Mallrats
    Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
    The 40 Year Old Virgin
    Baseketball
    Team America: World Police
    The Other Guys
    Goonies
    Ghostbusters
    Poltergeist I & II
    The Man Who Came to Dinner
    Bachelor Party
    ET
    Step Brothers
    Batman
    Batman Begins
    Spiderman Trilogy
    Predator
    T2
    Rocky I-IV
    Smokey & The Bandit
    Cannonball Run I & II

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Hey! Hey. Hey... Legend is a Tim Curry movie~

Tom Cruise just happens to be in it...

Though Vanilla Sky and Minority Report are not horrible movies. Just happen to cast a horrible person/actor x_x

Blog Entries

Speaking of Adam Sandler and breaking out of typecast roles, Punch Drunk Love is excellent too.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

A few off the top of my head that I don't think have been mentioned yet:
    Terminator
    Terminator 2
    Robocop (the original)
    Twelve Monkeys
    Pulp Fiction
    28 Days Later
    The Green Mile

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

28 Days Later, definitely.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Hey! Hey. Hey... Legend is a Tim Curry movie~

Tom Cruise just happens to be in it...

Though Vanilla Sky and Minority Report are not horrible movies. Just happen to cast a horrible person/actor x_x
    Tom Cruise is a great actor. Magnolia is a testament to that. Eyes Wide Shut wasn't bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I've always hated that he got type-casted like Jim Carey. Maybe he should have teamed up with Adam Sandler who also got tired of the type-casting, made his own studio, used the type-casting to his advantage, and then landed in Spanglish. Which was a phenomenally well done departure

I know Williams was in things like One Hour Photo and Good Will Hunting. But sadly I haven't seen any of those, and nobody I know has seen any of that stuff. His deviations are not readily available and I hate that. I'm gonna freakin pirate some Robin Williams movies or something >.> And maybe Spanglish
    I've seen a lot of his films over the years, and I actually just re-watched One Hour Photo last night. His performance is really really good but the movie really isn't anything spectacular. Good Will Hunting is a classic if you can get past some of it's pretentiousness and Ben Affleck, ew. Excellent writing that. Insomnia was also interesting, I saw it years ago so I can't remember entirely if it was good or not but it was kind of weird seeing him be a villain. I think he's better at playing a side kick or hero like in Jumanji.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He is a great actor. People just let the fact that he's an asshole get in the way of admitting it.