Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Recommend Movies

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually got him to watch most of the stuff on your list, Lonely but didn't think of Best in Show. Yassss! Definitely definitely so funny. Maybe even Spinal Tap but he might not appreciate it and I will have to kill him.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Dreams I fell asleep during which rarely happens unless I find the film to be excruciatingly boring. The Artist is probably good but I have no interest in watching a silent film unless it's Harold Lloyd or Charlie Chaplin.
    I'd say give Dreams another shot since its a collection of short stories. If you start to get bored with one then just move on to the next one. Its a great film about Japanese culture and Akira Kurosowa's feelings about his home.

The Artist is actually well done because well, its a silent movies about the death of silent films, it was pretty clever and kind of showed of the power of an old style of film making.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    The Artist is actually well done because well, its a silent movies about the death of silent films, it was pretty clever and kind of showed of the power of an old style of film making.
    Agreed. I'd like to see move films done in this style, I just don't think there's the demand for them.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Dreams I fell asleep during which rarely happens unless I find the film to be excruciatingly boring. The Artist is probably good but I have no interest in watching a silent film unless it's Harold Lloyd or Charlie Chaplin.
    OMG you need to give silent movies more of a chance. I used to love watching them on TCM on Sunday nights (when I had it & didn't have my current job).

Nosferatu
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Häxan
    Metropolis

Formerly Important Lonely Paper Star's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Saerin Vanagloria (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

I actually got him to watch most of the stuff on your list, Lonely but didn't think of Best in Show. Yassss! Definitely definitely so funny. Maybe even Spinal Tap but he might not appreciate it and I will have to kill him.

I refrained from suggesting Spinal Tap because I knew people would think of it alongside Best in Show, anyway. List was gettin' long. XD

Starting on my left with one, your number comes up, you go.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    OMG you need to give silent movies more of a chance. I used to love watching them on TCM on Sunday nights (when I had it & didn't have my current job).

Nosferatu
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Häxan
    Metropolis

I have seen many silent films and watched them all the way through. I don't like them. I respect what Nosferatu and Metropolis was and can even some what enjoy them but not hearing people takes away a large portion of my interest and emotional investment. I also don't like how they have to over exaggerate to compensate for the fact that you can't hear them. This is why I can only stomach comedic silent films because the exaggeration is more so for the laugh.

Is Dark City on Netflix? I can't find it On Demand.

I'll throw some good shiet at you.

Black Dynamite (the show and/or the movie)
    Cowboy Bebop (the show and/or the movie)
    Dazed and Confused (basically Superbad but in the 70's. Love it)
    Firefly: Serenity (the movie)
    Donnie Darko
    Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness
    Grandma's Boy
    Hot Tub Time Machine
    Inglorious Basterds
    Ink (really interesting indie film)
    Kung Pow (incredibly stupid but i love it )
    Lucky Number Slevin (great bruce willis and morgan freeman movie)
    Scott Pilgrim vs The World
    Starship Troopers (a movie for true men)
    The Big Lebowski
    The Raid 1 (balls to the wall insanity)
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Black Dynamite (the show and/or the movie) hmmm haven't finished this is it racist?
    Cowboy Bebop (the show and/or the movie) yassss
    Dazed and Confused (basically Superbad but in the 70's. Love it) he saw it
    Firefly: Serenity (the movie) this was a pretty crap movie IMO
    Donnie Darko yasss
    Evil Dead 3: Army of Darkness yassssss!
    Grandma's Boy he saw it and loved it
    Hot Tub Time Machine he made me watch this terrible movie with him
    Inglorious Basterds he's seen it and thought "Christopher waltz is a great actor" so proud ;___;
    Ink (really interesting indie film) what's it about?
    Kung Pow (incredibly stupid but i love it ) yassss!
    Lucky Number Slevin (great bruce willis and morgan freeman movie) I haven't seen it either so will put at the top of the list
    Scott Pilgrim vs The World he's seen it
    Starship Troopers (a movie for true men) he won't like it
    The Big Lebowski he won't like it
    The Raid 1 (balls to the wall insanity) I made him watch this he thought it was "ok"
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil I made he watch this too he thought it was "great and stupid"

:monster:

Your boyfriend won't like The Big Lebowski? I think it might be time to think about getting a new boyfriend.

I'll try to come up with things no one else has recommended later.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Ink is really good if you're in the mood for it. It's a slow burn, but I was in awe as it burned. It's about these things/people who watch over the dreams of children, and some thing evil steals one of the children while they're delivering a dream and they have to go save her before she gets sacrificed to other more evil things. It's hard to explain without giving away huge plot points though. Super duper suggest just watching it as blindly as you can. I went in without knowing anything and adored it. It actually manages to touch on a lot of real dramatic parts of people's lives

Black Dynamite (the show and/or the movie) hmmm haven't finished this is it racist?
    Ink (really interesting indie film) what's it about?
    I don't think it's racist lol. It's more of a parody on white/black relations.

you can't know what Ink is about. Here's something that is in the style of Ink that the creator of it did before he made Ink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP59tQf_njc

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Ink is really good if you're in the mood for it. It's a slow burn, but I was in awe as it burned. It's about these things/people who watch over the dreams of children, and some thing evil steals one of the children while they're delivering a dream and they have to go save her before she gets sacrificed to other more evil things. It's hard to explain without giving away huge plot points though. Super duper suggest just watching it as blindly as you can. I went in without knowing anything and adored it. It actually manages to touch on a lot of real dramatic parts of people's lives
    I also really loved this film!

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

How about W.C. Fields & The Marx Bros.?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    A lot of us have very similar taste in movies. We should just have an EoFF movie night someday
    I started a movie club last year. It lasted about six weeks ;-; We have movie watchings in chat sometimes!
    I think a movie club should be brought back. What did you do, just pick a movie of the month or something? That's what I had years ago on another place that is dead dead dead. It didn't go over real well because it wasn't a big forum but this one has quite a bit of activity so couldn't it work?

Anyway, if you ever decide to do it again, you got my vote.
    Will post for food.