5 35.71%
  • I don't even

10 71.43%
  • banana

6 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Herrp a derrrp

She isn't even called that in the English version just as Elena is not Myrna or Rufus Rufhaus. The Program has her correct Name and that is not Aeris. As well as Beerus from DBZ is not Bills or Sephiroth is not Bizarro or Safer or other translations that completely tell something wrong. Just because I say something and use a wrong word for it I do not actually say the wrong thing someone understands as the intention is still the original one. Just as a mistranslation says, Sephiroth was created 5 Years before Final Fantasy VII which is not true at all.Just as Yuna says to Tidus she loves him which is despite no misranslation not true as she only thanks him.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 08-16-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Yuna telling Tidus she loves him is actually canon. However, that would've been viewed as inappropriate according to Japanese custom, so they had her to say something different in that version.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Yuna telling Tidus she loves him is actually canon. However, that would've been viewed as inappropriate according to Japanese custom, so they had her to say something different in that version.
    This scene is no censoring. It is an idea rewritten/replaced as/by something else/another idea. What is censored is still canonical, but this is no censoring. They decided to make this count instead and the reason for this is not relevant. If an author says "I cannot write that for reason x" and does not censor it but replace it with another element or writes the scene in a way it has no longer the unequivocal intention from before it is not the same. Also the theme of love is a normal element of Final Fantasy.

If they decide she says "Arigatou" instead, "I love you" is not canonical but what they found more appropriate to happen and be shown is canonical then. It is that easy. An intention that was never used and replaced with another one is not suddenly canonical. Just as Sephiroth is not related to Aerith or her lover. Using earthquakes in DBZ Battle of Gods was also intended but they were cut out as it would have been inappropriate. That does not mean they suddenly happened. What they decide to be appropriate and has happened is canonical. Just as Cloud did not actually say he just found Tifa's underwear but he actually played with it in the flashback. There is one Square RPGs that really has an intended version in the West that did not seem to be that good in Japan but it is not really "canonical" but they are two different versions and so have their own canonicity and that is Nier Gestalt and Replicant.

That is not relevant however as she loves him anyway and as obvious as Tidus not just hating Jecht with his comment. Her love is canonical, her comment isn't. That she actually means it together with her thanks does not change that she actually does thank him. Just as Tidus loves his father but does not bluntly say it and only says the "I hate you" he wanted to say for so long.

EDIT@chionos: Yes, it does matter and that is canonicity. Sorry, but you are the one who does not know how canonicity works. Canonicity, something that officially counts is defined by the intellectual and legal owner of something and when she is Aerith, then she is Aerith. Your Final Fantasy Tactics argument does not help anything at all because that was still used when translators did not know too much about that mistranslation. Also your comment about what people did is not helpful because that it was a mistranslation has been stated even before the new millenium began. Basically what many people think is completely irrelevant if it does not reflect the official intention and yes in this case those things are necessary. And yes, it is very well possible to talk about just single aspects of one installment when talking about canonicity because one thing except aspect x can still be right as well as does Square Enix very well care about continuity. Nothing you said is based on how canonicity works and intellectual property and law is on Square Enix' side here.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 10-11-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You know sometimes, Sephiroth, you can be quite perceptive and thought-provoking. Then other times, like now, you can rant and drivel on like a complete lunatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Just as Sephiroth is not related to Aerith or her lover.
    Yes but... she's called Aeris.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Aeris is a mistranslation and she has been since called Aerith in all her other appearances.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    Stop it KD, STOP IT

YOU'RE TEARING US APART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the first line of this song is quite appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Aeris is a mistranslation and she has been since called Aerith in all her other appearances.
    ToriJ knows where its at, she is called Aerith in everything else

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Carl the Llama View Post
    ToriJ knows where its at, she is called Aerith in everything else
    Everything else? As far as I know, there was only one version of FFVII.

No care

I only care about Bartz VS Butz

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Be excellent to each other. It's only a video game character name, let's all be civil and respectful.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Be excellent to each other. It's only a video game character name, let's all be civil and respectful.
    You just had to reference Bill & Ted, didn't you?

I'll get you next time, Psychotic. Next time.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I don't really care much about the Aeris/Aerith debate, but anyone who pronounces "Tifa" as "Tiff-ah" needs to be tarred and feathered.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Air-iss
    Tee-fa
    Yoo-fee
    Tie-dus
    Or-on
    Ree-koo
    I second this *nods*

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Might have been Aeris. Might have been Aerith.

But now she's just the flower girl I used to know.

To be perfectly fair, it was "Aeris" for a long time here in the states

But it really doesn't matter because looking back, it's kind of a stupid name

Oh, I think I'll name my child "Aeris!" said no one ever