Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Robin Williams is Dead

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    ABC is full of nitwits.

Robin Williams was king of the nerds. Now that he's gone, who is going to fill his place? Bill Nye maybe? I don't think anyone can.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Stephen Colbert is the heir apparent.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    Stephen Colbert is the heir apparent.
    I can live with that.

It's a testament to how much of a lovely actor and human being he was that I am still processing this event. I honestly don't think I've ever been as touched by the loss of a celebrity since like ... Jim Henson. And I was still too young to fully appreciate that event. I think it's compounded by the fact that he did this. I can't imagine how distraught he must have felt at the end to make that decision

There was an article on Cracked that I shared on Facebook that sheds a little light on the dark side of comedy and a good portion of those who partake in it that was fairly eye-opening and educational though..

Is it true that Zelda took herself off social media because there are a lot of people being asswipes? If so, that makes me incredibly mad.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    Is it true that Zelda took herself off social media because there are a lot of people being asswipes? If so, that makes me incredibly mad.
    That looks to be the case.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5674501.html

Apparently trolls were digitally altering photos of Robin and sending them to her.

:monster:

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    That looks to be the case.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5674501.html

Apparently trolls were digitally altering photos of Robin and sending them to her.
    ugh i think it's time for the futurama video

Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

I want to punch a troll

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post

He had excellent taste in literature:

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Williams
    Oh my god, Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy. It's one of the greatest books of all time, and the greatest character is The Mule.
    Would never have guessed that. I <3 the Mule. Brilliant character. Williams had great taste.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post

This Inside the Actors Studio episode will probably also be of interest.
    I watched that the other day. It's really great stuff. Man, watching interviews and whatnot, it's easy to see the sadness peaking out sometimes. He drops the mask every once in a while. Makes me realize I need to pay more attention to the people around me. For real.

Edit: damn. One of these days wtpoti* are going to have to do something about the assholes who infest the web. I hope the family can find some peace in the midst of all the bulltrouttery from media and trolls alike. If they see anything, I hope they see how much everyone loved Robin and how much this is opening up serious discussions about mental disorders/depression.

*we the people of the internet
    Last edited by chionos; 08-14-2014 at 06:29 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I just checked her Twitter, and it seems so.

I mean, like, she's gained 140k followers in the last few days. That alone is probably making her feel like trout, to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I mean, like, she's gained 140k followers in the last few days.
    I don't understand that, I really don't. Are people just hoping to hear her grieve or have a breakdown? Just leave the poor girl alone.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    I watched that the other day. It's really great stuff. Man, watching interviews and whatnot, it's easy to see the sadness peaking out sometimes. He drops the mask every once in a while. Makes me realize I need to pay more attention to the people around me. For real.
    One aspect of most people dealing with major depression is the fact that we work to hide it very effectively. Many very funny people are hiding deep wounds that they can't stand to air out loud, even when a voice deep inside of them wants to grab people and say "if you only understood."

It still eeks out at times. But when the world only sees you as a funny person, how do you subvert their expectations by dumping all of your heartache and pain on them? Would they even believe you were being serious if you did?

I posted a part of this quote from Watchmen to my Twitter when I heard the news, but here it is in full:
    Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But Doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I mean, like, she's gained 140k followers in the last few days.
    I don't understand that, I really don't. Are people just hoping to hear her grieve or have a breakdown? Just leave the poor girl alone.
    I dunno. I checked her out a few days ago, and followed her. Then I thought better of it and unfollowed her. I only followed her because she's really funny and a huge ass nerd, and seems like someone who I'd enjoy following. But then I remembered why I looked her up in the first place, and figured it just wasn't the right time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

We as a humanity enjoy watching other people's pain. It's kind of our nature so I don't think of anything bad of people suddenly watching her tweets.

It's those who were abusing her with photoshopped photos, so called "trolls" are those who deserve to be shamed. Those people are genuinely bad at the core.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I only followed her because she's really funny and a huge ass nerd, and seems like someone who I'd enjoy following.
    Doing it for those reasons is fine. I just don't think 140,000 people followed her for those reasons. Maybe I'm being slightly cynical, people may following her as a sign of support. I do feel a lot of them are just being nosey and want to know what she's going through.