Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Robin Williams is Dead

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ergroilnin View Post
    We as a humanity enjoy watching other people's pain.
    Really? :S

I know we kind of do with soap operas (woohoo! Cheating! Deaths! Explosions!) but I'm not sure people are hugely horrible about the suffering of others in the real world.

As for Twitter, it's where the trolls go for seconds if they're still hungry from being dicks on Youtube. I actually love Twitter generally, but it does have that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    We as a humanity enjoy watching other people's pain.
    Really? :S

I know we kind of do with soap operas (woohoo! Cheating! Deaths! Explosions!) but I'm not sure people are hugely horrible about the suffering of others in the real world.
    Well we do after all watch a lot of violence and suffering on the media (I mean on news, in magazines etc.) and ever saw something happen to someone IRL? Most people just stand there and watch.

Okay maybe not so much because they would enjoy the suffering but still they are curious on what will happen next. Same thing with her sudden 140k followers.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm not even sure how many followers she had before I looked her up. She probably gained followers before that, so it's probably more than 140k.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Blog Entries

Well we do after all watch a lot of violence and suffering on the media (I mean on news, in magazines etc.) and ever saw something happen to someone IRL? Most people just stand there and watch.

Okay maybe not so much because they would enjoy the suffering but still they are curious on what will happen next. Same thing with her sudden 140k followers.
    True with the news. It's odd. Most people I talk to don't like the way the news/media is, but must still be buying into it and thus supporting the way it's constantly negative.

I think with things happening IRL people get scared. It's like a long moment between "fight and flight" where a human will get "stuck in the headlights", and while that is going on there's a subconscious waiting to see if someone else will handle it and fear that you wouldn't be able to help as effectively as someone 'better at this'.

To confess, it's happened to me. Nothing serious - camping, little girl crying outside a bit lost. I must've spent - well probably only 20-30 seconds but it felt like ages - just frozen in place, gormless, subconsciously waiting to see if it's going to sort itself out, before putting shoes on and starting to move out. Someone else beat me to it by a few seconds and led her to her parents.

Seems pretty damn cowardly tbh, but it's hard to explain, I think that's what happens to everyone. But not necessarily a case of enjoying it!

Not that it completely explains 140k followers, and it's not like there's much they can really do for her.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I just checked and her followers are up to 205k. That means she's gained 190k since I first looked her up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Reading about the troubles he's been having recently makes me very upset. A very easily avoidable suicide, as most are in hindsight.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Parkinson's must have been terrifying. To someone who relies so much on physicality, someone with so much energy, it must have seemed more daunting than death.
    His outbursts were a way of controlling or perhaps overcoming the fear and anxiety inside him. As long as his body listened, he could stay one step ahead. Once it stops obeying him...

I hurt for him and his family. His poor wife. I hope she has a support system.

Good piece.

By the way: Don't fall for the links to an alleged "Robin Williams says goodbye with his cellphone" video. It's a scam; no such video exists.

Snopes
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Doesn't Michael J. Fox also have Parkinson's? He still acts. I really don't think that disease is an end all be all.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Doesn't Michael J. Fox also have Parkinson's? He still acts. I really don't think that disease is an end all be all.
    He does.

I don't think Michael J. Fox was already depressed when he was diagnosed, though.

And Robin Williams seemed to suffer from some identity issues. He couldn't not entertain. He was very physical, his comedy was rapid-fire. Parkinson's would have taken that away from him. Any neurological disease is about loss of control.

Saying all this, I don't know that this is what happened, or if Parkinson's factored into his suicide at all. Perhaps it didn't. I'm just speculating on my observations of Robin, of myself, and other people I know who suffer from depression, identity issues, and neurological disorders (all 3 here).

I may be mistaken, but it was my understanding that Michael J Fox dropped out of acting for a good decade or more to deal with the disease. He only just recently came back into acting as far as I'm aware. I don't know if that means he got it under control or if it stopped progressing on its own or what

When I first heard about Michael getting it, I was under the impression that it progresses over the course of a person's life until it reaches a point where they can no longer live a normal life. I've never really researched the disease or people who suffer from it, so my information is hardly knowledgeable but that's the impressions I've gotten. Michael may have been lucky with his form of the disease. Robin may have been unlucky

But yeah, I know Robin has been deep in the realm of depression for an extremely long time. And the one article I mentioned earlier illustrates that most "funny" people use it as a mask to hide their turmoil, and supposedly learn it at a pretty young age. So it's entirely possible Robin has been fighting the good fight since childhood. Which is ridiculous to think about, but sadly completely possible :/

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/r...ll-themselves/

Here's that article for anyone who's interested. It speaks more about "funny" people and mental/emotional issues rather than just concentrating on Robin himself. But it's pretty insightful, and he got a lot of praise in the comments from loads of people who related 100% so I presume he knows what he's talking about

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Seriously, Shiny?

Heaven forbid certain aspects of life affecting people differently. Inconceivable.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Seriously, Shiny?

Heaven forbid certain aspects of life affecting people differently. Inconceivable.
    Seriously, Quin? That's not what I meant by that. I meant that if he killed himself because he thought Parkinson's would end his career (one of the things anyway), it's not career ending. Michael J. Fox has been acting for a while. Many people who act and survive day to day have a slew of problems including depression. I know different things effect people differently, but even so, a large majority of people in the world are depressed there just isn't an open discussion about it because many people are made to feel unsafe and I can honestly see why; a lot of people are dicks. There's a quote that says, something something "many people are more alike then we're are unlike" and that's definitely true. Everyone has their own struggle.

Anyway I found this today: http://youtu.be/Wcmx-kKGECM

In the first few minutes he describes he was just out of rehab. It's no secret that he had been in and out of rehab for drug abuse and alcohol addiction for much of his career. I honestly think that his battle with relapsing wasn't mainly over Parkinson's but other things in life that he couldn't get a grip of. Suicide is a personally hard thing for me to deal with because it's very close to home. I only wish that it was enough to love and care for someone enough so that they would not take their lives.