Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: P.T. / Silent Hills

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well that was a pretty sweet trailer. I wonder if the whole game is going to be first-person view? Either way it's looking pretty fantastic.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

I really like how the recent TGS trailer showed a bunch of otherworlds taking over the walls. Ew ew ew and that flesh stairway at the end EW. I'm hoping they up the sound production (literally every sound in said trailer is royalty free) for the final release, and also that Yamaoka/KKC gets on-board to compose.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Markus. D View Post
    I really like how the recent TGS trailer showed a bunch of otherworlds taking over the walls. Ew ew ew and that flesh stairway at the end EW. I'm hoping they up the sound production (literally every sound in said trailer is royalty free) for the final release, and also that Yamaoka/KKC gets on-board to compose.
    It seems both Team Silent members Masahiro Ito (Art Director) and Akira Yamaoka (Composer and Sound Design) have expressed interest in working with Kojima on the new game. I'm hoping Kojima and del Toro take them up on the offer, especially Yamaoka since his music is kind of iconic with the series. I'm pretty psyched for the new game to be honest. The P.T. demo kind of sold me on the idea of the game really working out and I am especially happy it looks like it will finally move away from the plot tumor that is The Order creeping up in many of the games.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

How do you guys feel about this? Am I The Only One Upset At First Person ‘Silent Hills’?

I think the shift in views makes it more about the player than the specific character of the story. First-person makes it scarier but kindof takes it out of the story for me, I guess.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Considering they modeled the main character after Norman Reedus, I'll be surprised if the game is completely first-person. Of anything, I'm hoping the game may just drop combat altogether and just stick to puzzles and making you wet your pants. The demo proved this could work and its not like combat was ever the series strong point. Maybe exploring the town will be in third-person but inside buildings you switch to first person? It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know! I just hope they do that for the teasers only, though. Also, what's the point in making us play as Norman Reedus when we can't see him 90% of the time?

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Considering they modeled the main character after Norman Reedus, I'll be surprised if the game is completely first-person. Of anything, I'm hoping the game may just drop combat altogether and just stick to puzzles and making you wet your pants. The demo proved this could work and its not like combat was ever the series strong point. Maybe exploring the town will be in third-person but inside buildings you switch to first person? It will be interesting to see what they do with it.
    Combat has always been a bit awkward in the game, yeah, but... the bosses, man, the bosses!

Also yeah, the Norman Reedus as the main character bit but first person view has thrown me off as well. I'm sure they'll work it out; it seems to be having maniacal success on the web so far.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I think that's just the way the horror game genre has gone lately. I can think of at least a dozen horror games - mostly indie or small developers it has to be said - released in the past couple of years and all of them have been first person. Silent Hill is, quite rightly, moving with the times. Third person always feels detached and can feel a bit too clunky for any action sequences (hi Resident Evil) so I don't have a problem with it.

In terms of character they can obviously switch to a third person camera for cutscenes if they feel it necessary. Kojima/Del Toro will know how to tell a good story.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

And if there's something Silent Hill needs, it's an excellent story.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm just imagining a funny thing where they have Norman Reedus for the game, but then have it completely first person and leave him as a silent protagonist outside of various grunts and other noises.

As for it being in first person, I was initially not pleased with the idea. I wouldn't mind me some tank control, third person stuff. That doesn't mean I can't get behind the first person thing. There is good atmosphere in P.T. The little bit of narrative you get very much feels like Silent Hill too. Everything was very thematic, symbolic. I do still think it will be third person though, or at least it will be in cutscenes or something like that. We won't know for sure until we get closer to release though.

My only qualm with the demo, honestly, were the puzzles. The original trilogy of Silent Hill generally had some great puzzles that provided all the clues you needed to solve them right there. Some might require extra knowledge outside of the game (Shakespeare puzzle in SH3), but you still pretty much get all the clues and conveyance you need in the game to solve them. P.T. was different. I think it was purposely designed the way it was to give it more of a viral feel and to keep people talking/working together to keep hype up. That being said, it didn't have good clues or conveyance at all. I've read that some hints existed for the final puzzle (arguably), but those existed in the form of writing that appeared on the screen in another language. I don't really count those. This demo worked to prove that Kojima can do scary, atmospheric, and thematic horror. I just need to see gameplay and hope this doesn't spell out what all the puzzles will be like in the final game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Considering how long Kojima's cut-scenes usually are I'm sure you'll see plenty of Norman.