Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Default P.T. / Silent Hills

So if you haven't been paying attention to GamesCom you might've missed this:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/08/...ermo-del-toro/

I'm cautious optimistic about this as the more recent SH games have been terrible.

If the P.T. demo was anything to by... then this game is a massive heap of pant-messing nope, nope and nope. Even playing in broad daylight, it was so atmospheric that I struggled to finish it.

If you don't have a PS4, you can watch someone else play the playable teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B7rgDikl0k

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cautiously optimistic is a good way of phrasing it. I quit the series after being disgusted with minimal play of The Room and had no interest in going any further.

I'm unable to watch the trailer at work (and I don't think I would care to watch someone else narrating it the entire time, that would dissolve my immersion), but I did find a bit about it on the Silent Hill Wikia.

I really like this quote by Kojima and I think it's so accurate:

Honestly, I'm kind of a scaredy-cat when it comes to horror movies, so I’m not confident I can do it. At the same time, there’s a certain type of horror that only people who are scared of can create, so maybe it’s something I can do.
    If this game turns into what it's capable of being, I would purchase a PS4 just for this.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Yeah, no. I mean don't get me wrong. I'm sure the game could be fantastic. The problem is that the more a game succeeds at horror, the less it is a game I am able to play. I could barely even watch the playable teaser being played by someone else, even in a small video window and the audio turned down pretty low.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Cautiously optimistic is a good way of phrasing it. I quit the series after being disgusted with minimal play of The Room and had no interest in going any further.
    That's a shame since The Room was actually the last good Silent Hill.

I'm surprised by the cautious optimism though. The involvement of Kojima and del Toro alone means this is going to be something different than the more recent games, and there's no way it can be as bad as those were so I'm willing to jump straight to excitement. Let's see what a fresh pair of Japanese and Mexican hands can do for the series.

Judging by everyone's reaction alone, I'm hardly cautious. Sadly I haven't really been a fan of the series, though I've always appreciated what it brought to the table. And if they can pull it off, then it'll be an awesome experience for me. It's hard to find a truly scary game anymore. Still easier than finding a truly scary movie, though. It's really all about atmosphere though. Even after a playthrough of Dead Space or Alan Wake (both of which kept me on edge a bit just due to things lurking in shadows) I still love a good romp through them even though they're hardly unnerving anymore, simply due to the fantastic atmosphere. If people can't even watch a trailer or watch others play this, it sounds exactly like something I'd enjoy. I just hope they keep that pace with the final product and this isn't just because little snippets are easier to make an impact with

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm actually pretty excited for this. The video of the demo was pretty intriguing and really brought together the elements I like about the Silent Hill franchise. Looks like a psychological thriller similar to SH2 and I love that. Its odd to bring in Kojima but he did help out with the new Castlevania reboot which was better than I thought it would be. Del Toro is a great choice as well and so far it looks pretty good. I didn't finish the video cause I don't really want to be spoiled anymore and hope I can play it in the future.

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

I was informed of the existence of P.T. by my cousin who also convinced me not to look up what game it was really related to before attempting to finish it. After being stuck on the final segment of the game for several hours trying to get the phone to ring, I gave up for the time being and watched the reveal on YouTube.

I've only played Homecoming, which I didn't really find all that frightening. While P.T. is not representative of what Silent Hills will be, it jolted me several times during my playthrough. A fresh take on the series might be just what Silent Hill needs.

Blog Entries

I liked SH2, but other than that, I've never really gotten into Silent Hill. The Fatal Frame series are my favourite games for scares.

This does look good though. I think I'm going to allow myself to be excited by this. xD

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Its odd to bring in Kojima but he did help out with the new Castlevania reboot which was better than I thought it would be.
    Is Kojima Konami's new go to person whenever a franchise is suffering? Because that's what it's sounding like. Not that I'm complaining I was just curious.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Its odd to bring in Kojima but he did help out with the new Castlevania reboot which was better than I thought it would be.
    Is Kojima Konami's new go to person whenever a franchise is suffering? Because that's what it's sounding like. Not that I'm complaining I was just curious.
    He is the mastermind behind the companies best selling non-arcade franchise so yeah... I guess I should be grateful he's working on something other than MGS and maybe if this keeps up we'll see him helm a Suikoden reboot as well.

Blog Entries

The only Silent Hill I've played all the way through is Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, which wasn't scary at all. I still really liked it though. Not so much as a game, but just as a little piece of interactive fiction. Curious about P.T.!

Edit: Watched a bit of gameplay, and it seems like instead of taking place in Silent Hill the newest one opted to take place in Nopeville. Might not play.

Edit 2: Oh, well it's just a playable teaser. A pretty frightening teaser, if I do say so myself!
    Last edited by KentaRawr!; 08-15-2014 at 08:23 PM.

I watched someone die in the teaser. Yeah scary trout. And there was another jump scare at another point that got me. Overall it was really creepy and disturbing and I loved it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This thread is making me want to play the games again! I recently bought the Silent Hill 2/3 re-release package on XBox and I'm itching to play it. I wish they'd re-release the rest of the games the same way so I could try them but I realize that it's probably a pain in the ass and not worth it.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The unfortunate thing about those re-releases is that they were rushed and things like the fog effects just plain didn't work properly. Last I heard they hadn't been fixed though the PS3 version was getting a patch to fix some issues. But Konami being the useless sack of trout they are weren't patching the 360 version. Hopefully it's at least playable and somewhat enjoyable.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well that is disappointing as all hell. No wonder it was so cheap.

edit: But the graphics sure are an improvement!