View Poll Results: Which Star Ocean Games Have You Played?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Ocean

8 22.22%
  • The Second Story

9 25.00%
  • Blue Sphere

1 2.78%
  • Till The End of Time

20 55.56%
  • First Departure

7 19.44%
  • Second Evolution

9 25.00%
  • The Last Hope

22 61.11%
  • I haven't played any but I want to!

5 13.89%
  • I haven't played any and I'm not interested

5 13.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Have You Played Any Star Ocean Games?

FFXIV Character

Eneby Kurs (Sargatanas)

what's star ocean
    a brother never lived to hear me diss him on no record...
    extralives - counterfeit self

Articles

I've played 'Till the End of Time' and 'The Last Hope'.

Got to the end of TTEOT but couldn't complete it due to lack of resources and was unable to heal myself. I know, rookie mistake. Shame as I was enjoying it.

Played The Last Hope.. but couldn't stand the characters, so gave up and moved on.

I played Till the End of Time and I smurfING HATED IT.

SHUT UP ALREADY ABOUT "BAD VOICE-ACTING IN SO4" Just shut the hell up. The voice-acting is immeasurably worse in SO3. Nobody in that game could act worth a damn which is a good sign of its awfulness because it had Crispin Freeman, Dave Wittenberg, Lia Sargent, Sherry Lynn and many others. But it was just a piss poor, completely irredeemable piece of garbage that not even Alexander O. Smith on localization and all these great VAs could help it. It sapped the life out of them as surely as it did me.

It is hands down one of the worst games I ever played. It should be buried with all those ET cartridges. The fact people still compliment it to this day is nothing more than the deluded fantasies of morons who played it over a decade ago and so their feeble minds have forgotten how just plain terrible everything was.

The Last Hope was better. It's true, it's damn true.

Guy Who Can't Write #1: I got a great idea! There's this game called Star Ocean so let's strand the gamers on a crappy cliche fantasy planet for a whole disk!
    Guy Who Can't Write #2: Brilliant! And when they finally do get off the planet, let's have everything they worked for all those hours be rendered pointless by introducing new villains completely out of nowhere.
    Guy Who Can't Write #3: ...w-what if we actually had some sort of space travel mechanic in our game...? let the players visit different worlds and stuff?

That guy was ignored until the fourth game. Guys 1 and 2 are the ""minds" behind the crime against humanity that was Till the End of Time.

SO4 doesn't have to be well-written. It just has to understand the basics of storytelling, such as your Beginning gets to your Middle which gets to your End. These fundamentals seemed lost on the creative team behind SO3. It's two different friggin' games jammed in one. Nothing has anything to do with each other and everything you do is a waste of time.

Just think - rather than accomplishing absolutely nothing on the first Disk of SO3, you could have been working at a soup kitchen or having sex or writing angry posts on the Internet. All these activities are more worthwhile than playing SO3. You are DYING as you play this game. Your lifespan is slipping away while you chugged down this bile.

Man I'm sleepy and crabby. But it's all facts. SO3 was just not good in any way whatsoever.
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 08-18-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Articles

It's okay man, it's okay. Deep breath . It's in the past now.

I really want to make a joke about Till The End of Time and the whole being in the past thing, but I wont.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It's fine, Forsaken Lover. Even you are allowed to be wrong every now and then.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

You guys have never enjoyed this pleasure for 600 hours.

There is only one flaw and that is too many scenes with empty facial expression.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I hate to break it to you Forsaken Lover but Star Ocean has never had good voice acting nor has storytelling been one of its selling points.

This thread inspired me to finallky start playing First Departure and the above stays true.

But nobody talks about how bad the voice-acting was in SO3. It's all just whining about SO4. Always whining about SO4....

And the voice-acting really wasn't that bad in SO4. It was decidedly average.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, the VA work in SO4 is pretty bad, the video you listed is proof of that; but the reason no one talks about SO3's VA is because a) it was utterly forgettable, and b) most people would prefer to forget about SO3.

Hahahaha, you are a lucky man to be ignorant of how truly beloved SO3 is by its fanboys. I've been hearing praise for Till the End of Time most of my years on the web. It's why I played it in the first place.
    Only to discover everything positive said about it was a pack of lies.

And you are dissing Travis Willingham? He's Roy Mustang! He was also Bacchus and he is great. That scene I posted is hilarious.

And while i can take her or leave it, Laura Bailey can be pretty great too.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

The gameplay is why i like SO3, not the voice acting. I found the voice acting to be "ok" for its genre and time.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Most of my corner of the web will agree that SO2 was the only good one and even then, no one is going to be making gushing threads about how wonderful and well thought out its plot was.

Laura Bailey is hit or miss and it really comes down to who the VA director is.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Even as a fan of the game, I can't find a lot of gushing threads about how wonderful the plot was.

But that's the double standard. SO4 is constantly bashed for the voice-acting and unlikable characters and bad plot.

Nobody ever mentions that Sophie is a terrifying abomination and has less personality than frickin' Rosa, a character made ten years before SO3 was created. Or that Fayt is whiny as hell - Steve Staley is just not a good VA in anything with the odd exception like 08th MS Team or Advent Children.
    Also FATE LINEGOD is a thousand times worse than Edge Maverick in terms of bad names.

Plus the SO4 characters actually had development. Crazy i know, since none of SO3's party ever develops or changes at all.

Yes, the gameplay is what people love about SO3. But they ignore everything else. They won't ignore everything else for 4.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It depends on who you talk to but in rounds on the interweb, I don't think I've ever seen anyone praise SO3 for its plot or characters and while most will point out SO4's problems in plot and characters I don't see too many criticize the gameplay (the real reason we play SO) and frankly most people don't say many good things about the earlier installments either in terms of plot or characters. Technically your beef about SO3 making the first disc pointless applies to SO2 as well.