View Poll Results: Which Star Ocean Games Have You Played?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Ocean

8 22.22%
  • The Second Story

9 25.00%
  • Blue Sphere

1 2.78%
  • Till The End of Time

20 55.56%
  • First Departure

7 19.44%
  • Second Evolution

9 25.00%
  • The Last Hope

22 61.11%
  • I haven't played any but I want to!

5 13.89%
  • I haven't played any and I'm not interested

5 13.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Have You Played Any Star Ocean Games?

FFXIV Character

Eneby Kurs (Sargatanas)

Considering the content of SO4 I don't find it surprising that the one guy in this thread who really likes that game has a bunny girl with bouncing boobs in his signature

Mitsuo Iwao, who directed SO4, once said he had a legitimate desire to make hentai games. SO1-3 were directed by a guy named Yoshiharu Gotanda, who once said that SO3 should have been the last one. He's a programmer, science nerd and massive Star Trek fan.

Make of that what you will
    a brother never lived to hear me diss him on no record...
    extralives - counterfeit self

I think FL is not so much sticking up for SO4 to say it's a good game but rather saying it's not as bad as SO3, and people should play SO3 before saying SO4 is the worst in the series or whatever

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like S04

SO4 was hardly a great game - it just wasn't as bad as a lot of people say. It's fun, has some nice graphics, a good soundtrack and it's just generally kooky and unapologetically Anime.

On the flipside, I heard endless praise for SO3 and it just makes no sense to me. If I could play nothing except The Last Hope until I died, it still be better than ever having to go near Till the End of Time again.

Also did no one here play InFamous 1? Myuria is Sasha! Sasha is love. I wish that lady was in more things.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It's inferior to SO3 in the segment that matters the most in those games, the gameplay. Also, I find the music from SO3 to be much better. I don't think there is a single SO4 track that i enjoy as much as I enjoy several dozen SO3 tracks.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Jibril View Post
    Considering the content of SO4 I don't find it surprising that the one guy in this thread who really likes that game has a bunny girl with bouncing boobs in his signature

Mitsuo Iwao, who directed SO4, once said he had a legitimate desire to make hentai games. SO1-3 were directed by a guy named Yoshiharu Gotanda, who once said that SO3 should have been the last one. He's a programmer, science nerd and massive Star Trek fan.

Make of that what you will
    >>> I didnt know about the different directors. SO4 didnt look any different from the other SO games in my opinion..
    and I really hope Tri-Ace stop doing SO games..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

i love star ocean, and i have a very, very soft spot for tri-ace. but TLH was an absolute trash story, and the mechanics were all flash which was really weird for a SO game. i'm so use to having to kinda semi-break a game first.

My most vivid memory of Star Ocean (I played 2, 3 and 4 before I'd tried a single Tales Of game) was the bit just after you go onto the planet where that angel-woman Sarah lives. She speaks to you in her horrible, horrible high pitched squeal of a voice and you solve whatever disaster is befalling her planet whilst secretly hoping the bandits will get her, and then you leave. And the best bit is, you leave her behind! You're like "BYE SARAH" and you get in your Spaceship and fly away, and I was the happiest person in all the land.

And then, during the next cutscene, I remember just seeing the tip of an angel wing come into camera shot. I cried in despair and dived for the remote to mute the game before the camera cut to Sarah and she told us how she'd snuck on board because she hates the human race and wants us all to shatter us like wine glasses with her voice or whatever it was I imagined she was saying when it was muted.

Man, that was traumatic. The other weird thing about 4 was green-haired dude Faize and his weird relationship with token loli Lymle. That was creepy.

Till the End of Time is the best Star Ocean game in my view, even if I couldn't stand the protagonist.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Sarah was horrible.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Sarah was horrible.
    lymle's dialogue was the bane of my existence, kay? but her cerberus was too strong, kay?

FFXIV Character

Eneby Kurs (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by black orb View Post
    and I really hope Tri-Ace stop doing SO games..
    It's been 5 years, I don't think you have much to worry about
    a brother never lived to hear me diss him on no record...
    extralives - counterfeit self

In the grand scheme of things, they didn't make very many anyway. They kept getting side-tracked to make other original IPs. Sadly, I never really enjoyed any of those either. Or Tri-Crescendo games... Not sure what it is about that pedigree, but it just doesn't jive with me. Unknowingly I recently found out I've tried a lot of the games from both companies and never realized it

Lymle is the best, 'kay?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Played most of them except First Departure. Liked most of them except 4, really love SO2.

The plot twist in 3 is amazing. (SPOILER)I still love how mad people get about the fact that their video game turns out to be a video game

4 though, ugh, I'm sure anyone who plays that goes on pedo watchlists due to Lymle.

:monster:

Quote Originally Posted by MILF View Post
    (SPOILER)I still love how mad people get about the fact that their video game turns out to be a video game
    this is a really good point
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)