Thread: This is the best

Default This is the best

This game really is the best of the series. Waaaaay ahead of its time in terms of story. Suicide, love, loss, death, meaning of life, and so much more is explored. Just imagine this game being updated with Dissidia quality graphics (modern day tech is too much to ask for) and polished dialogue to make it more serious/mature. Would be a dream come true.

This is my second favorite FF world/setting. First being FFIX because I prefer a more traditional medieval setting.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

During the summer between 8th grade and Freshmen year, I played FFVI, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound in heavy rotation. Yet, I had a very active summer (lots of traveling). It was glorious, and I always connect those three games to one of the best summers I ever had.

As for a remake? I think no matter what they did would be alright. Well, anything past that iOS version. Did I even get that right? I am too lazy to look it up. We'll just go with that. So yeah, basically, people will complain about a remake, but then they'll buy it anyway. Then they'll go and play the new FF game and complain that it isn't like the games from their childhood/teen years. Square-Enix has lost their way like a diabetic in a candy store. They make an old game again a decent sized group of people support it at best. Then they publish games like Tomb Raider and it makes about a billion dollars in America Billz and they consider that poor performance.

I'll tell you what's poor performance Squenix: You. Yeah, I also implied back there that you are in a no win situation most of the time, and that your fans will never be satisfied no matter what. But it's been 8 years since FFXIII Versus FFXV has been announced. That wasn't your plan. You are like Axel Rose with Chinese Democracy. It takes you years to follow up popular work and then you show up on stage fat and a weird mustache and they'll all laughing at you. It's also like an adult who still thinks they look good dressing how they dressed in High School. Even if you follow current trends you end up looking like you are a parody of your former self.

So people in their late 20s to maaaaaaybe early 40s are tired of the baloney sandwich being stuffed with poppy seeds before their next drug test, and you wonder why people get all mad at you. Stop showing up late to the party with zippers everywhere and flashing how much swag you have. No one cares. You were cooler when you released a game on time and they were well crafted games. Sure, they were flawed, and maybe you got more credit than you deserved when you were the prom Queen, but the point is that you put on that dress and you wore it well. Now you phone ahead to parties like 20 times and then never show up. You are stuck between trying to squeeze into that old prom dress or buying a new one that is all tacky, but it HAS to look good because it was so expensive, right?

It doesn't matter. No matter what dress you put on everyone will be staring at your ass. But it will never look as good as it used to.
    Last edited by Sephex; 08-21-2014 at 05:44 AM.

I like FFVI, it taught me that the end of the world won't be so bad and we'll still have Opera music.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think a remake would be interesting, the better translation from the GBA version really breathed life into the plot and cast so watching that expand a little wouldn't be too bad. I may not like the remake version but at least I'll have the original still so its no real loss to me.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

FFVI will never get old to me as-is. Not that I wouldn't get totally psyched by the prospect of a remake, but the game (to me anyway) ages well (many SNES games have, it's the nature of the SNES) and will always be enough for me.

Hands down, it's the best of the old-school. I waver between FFVI, FFIX, FFT, FFXI, and FFXII for my favorite FF of all time, but if it came down to it, I would say FFVI.

Actually, I hope Square never remakes the game. They'd ruin it, with the bunch they've got running things now. They'd make it shiny and sparkly and take away all of the grit and that would just ruin it.

:monster:

While a rather large part of me would love to see Terra in glorious HD, I'm inclined to agree with chionos that the team they've got now would ruin it. Maybe if they could get Sakaguchi back there'd be more hope of it not sucking.

The more important question is why the hell have Ito and Kitase not been working on top-level Final Fantasy projects lately? They're obviously more talented than the bunch that has been managing the dreck Square Enix has put out lately.

Anyway yes this is obviously the best of the classic era and probably the best of the series overall.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    While a rather large part of me would love to see Terra in glorious HD
    O_O

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Kitase basically took over Sakaguchi's role as overseer of all the FF content so you can thank him for the dreck. Motomu Toriyama is actually said to be Kitase's protege.

I don't know what happened to Ito, it looks like he got sent to the mobile division cause his last four gaming credits are for mobile or browser based games. The last console game he worked on was FFXII International, and the last major FF he worked on was FFIV DS.

I did a little digging and some fans are thinking he's working on XVI due to not being really involved in any major projects lately, even the mobile titles are games he worked on mostly in the pre-production stage rather than being heavily involved. He apparently said in a previous interview that he didn't work on the PS3 or 360 because they couldn't handle the type of gameplay he wants to try and do, and apparently he is currently trying to get a project greenlit. Interesting note, Hiroshi Minagawa (co-director with Ito on XII and director of the Tactics Ogre remake) was working on both helping XIV and trying to work on some other secret project that Naoki Yoshida couldn't divulge.

There is a theory among some fans that Ito was working on FFXV but after SE chose to make Versus XIII into a numbered entry they bumped his game up to XVI and are letting him have more time to develop it. One sketchy source I found mentioned some stuff about Yasumi Matsuno dodging a question about writing a script for SE if Ito was directing and apparently Kitase in a function last year said something about the Gambit system possibly returning in some new form but I don't have the context of this article so he could have easily meant that SE would explore any old idea if they felt it was viable.

:monster:

How the hell could Kitase go from FFVI to the crap they've put out lately? That's disappointing.

It would be nice if Ito was working on a new numbered entry. Let's hope that rumour is true.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

An Ito led FF would make me very happy. I think FFXV will be a good game but one that won't be able to live up the hopes fans have for it. Not that an Ito game would be any different but considering he worked on the last game I liked it would be pretty nice to have him helm a new game.

As for Kitase, he's a film student first so he's been pushing for better visuals and more movie quality cutscenes. He only directed VI-VIII before taking Sakaguchi's position and Ito and Toriyama have been playing tag with the console FFs.