Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kill a Franchise

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm going to be the most controversial one here. I'll ignore Call of Duty, sure same trout, slightly different, different day. Halo, same mechanics (well that's fine, they are after all the same universe it makes sense for mechanics to be the same) different story. These are all fine, you know what I'm aiming for...

MARIO

Why? Well because every new console Nintendo releases they go back and are like "Hey, you know what'll be cool? Let's re-release the exact same game we released every 5 years for the past 20 years with slightly updated graphics and a new gimmick included such as only being able to see Luigi on the Wii-U controller screen.

Please for the love of god Nintendo... let the fat old plumber get his princess and sit around getting noshed off with his feet on Toadstools head.

Articles

Dragonball Z. You know that the DBZ anime ended in 1996, but I always see a new one pop up every year or so. Dragonball GT: Final Bout was released since the anime finished in 1997, There has been 18 released DBZ games in 2000 onwards for consoles and 24 handheld games if wikipedia is to be trusted. Many of which have not made it to the west, but still, that's 42 games in 14 years. 3 games a year.

It's worse than any crappy yearly franchise like Call of Dooty, or "Ass"assin's Creed, or even Mario.

Articles
    Blog Entries

At last, I will have my revenge on you. You, who reap all hope from the user's hand at every opportunity. You, who laugh in the face of pain and feed off it like a parasite. You, who destroy worlds and ruin countless lives! You, who try to mimic success of video gaming past. You, who don't know how to properly utilize an instruction manual to explain how the game is played! YOU, WHO LACK A PAUSE BUTTON SO I CAN TAKE A TROUT!

GO TO HELL, DARK SOULS! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah, I'm not taking this the least bit seriously. I don't know which franchise deserves to end.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Like the last time I did the Ress and Kill franchise thread, the kill thread gets more posts...

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

WWE games.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Matt View Post
    Dragonball Z. You know that the DBZ anime ended in 1996, but I always see a new one pop up every year or so. Dragonball GT: Final Bout was released since the anime finished in 1997, There has been 18 released DBZ games in 2000 onwards for consoles and 24 handheld games if wikipedia is to be trusted. Many of which have not made it to the west, but still, that's 42 games in 14 years. 3 games a year.

It's worse than any crappy yearly franchise like Call of Dooty, or "Ass"assin's Creed, or even Mario.
    Yeah, I'm tired of seeing DBZ games too.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

How many here has actually played the franchises they want to kill? I mean I'm sure some have, but I've got a suspicion that it's a lot of "something lots of others like that I think is dumb" going on here.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

I honestly don't hate any franchise enough to want to see it end. If i don't like something, I generally ignore it. Now, i'm not criticising anyone for having a franchise they would like to disappear, I just don't see it as a solution to anything. I would much rather see them offer something new (e.g. CoD, Halo, Gears of War) to grab my attention. Now with that said, seeing a potentially new IP get cancelled or a game i'm looking forward to get delayed because of a old franchise that I don't particularly like, that can still get on my nerves, but if it wasn't one franchise getting in the way it would be another.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...bitious-new-ip

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Like the last time I did the Ress and Kill franchise thread, the kill thread gets more posts...
    Jim Sterling once remarked how disturbing our enthusiasm and eagerness to kill things or pronounce them dead is in our hobby.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Yeah I don't see any reason to go around killing franchises. If I don't like them I don't have to play. Now there are franchises that are clearly played out, and perhaps should end, but if people want to make them and other people want to play them, that's their business.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    At last, I will have my revenge on you. You, who reap all hope from the user's hand at every opportunity. You, who laugh in the face of pain and feed off it like a parasite. You, who destroy worlds and ruin countless lives! You, who try to mimic success of video gaming past. You, who don't know how to properly utilize an instruction manual to explain how the game is played! YOU, WHO LACK A PAUSE BUTTON SO I CAN TAKE A TROUT!

GO TO HELL, DARK SOULS! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah, I'm not taking this the least bit seriously. I don't know which franchise deserves to end.

Kind of agreed on this, even if Dark Souls 1 is my precious. I'm really enthusiastic about the new Bloodborne and even a new "Something Souls" would be awesome, but I hope they don't make a Dark Souls 3. Let Demon's Souls and Dark Souls live forever in unmatched glory.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    How many here has actually played the franchises they want to kill? I mean I'm sure some have, but I've got a suspicion that it's a lot of "something lots of others like that I think is dumb" going on here.
    Personally. I agree I'm guilty of this. The last Dragonball Z series of Games I played was Budokai/Tenkaichi and they were fine. When they made the move to Gen 7, they lost appeal to me and I never looked back. Friends had them bur I never went out my way to buy them anymore.

Games like Call of Duty, Madden etc, they do their job. They are designed for the people that have Gaming as a secondary or even tertiary means of entertainment. They play video games say 2 hours a week with friends when they come over before going out to a club or making love. These sort of games are designed to offer cheap thrills to those that don't spend a large portion of their time on video games, which is why I opted to go for something that is designed for those who have gaming as a primary for of entertainment.

Even games like Mario, which I would be glad if it Mario platformers dropped to a 2 year schedule rather than a 1 year schedule, are designed with these players in mind. I know I'm pretty sick of Mario games just now.

I've played a few of the Madden games. I wasn't impressed.

Admittedly, I'm outside the target demographic. They exist for sports fans. Ok, I get that. But they've also stopped progressing for the past five years or so. The graphics aren't really improving. The mechanics aren't being polished. There are no new game modes. It's just a complete rehash with different names. It's a money grab at a pathetic level, and it is depressing to me that people keep buying them. It sets a horrible standard for the industry. It also stifles the market, as most of these people wouldn't even think of buying an alternative, so there basically are no other football games. No competition means no innovation or shift in the market, and nowhere is this clearer than in Madden. At least Call of Duty actually changes things. For better or for worse is up for the fans, but they at least TRY. Madden doesn't, and for that, I'd be happy to see it perish.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Matt View Post
    They play video games say 2 hours a week with friends when they come over before going out to a club or making love.
    What kind of friends do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    WWE games.
    I'd have also gone with this but for 2k15 looking rather good at this point, although the jury will of course be out until it's released. Could be just as dull as every other WWE game released in the last ten years.

Call of Duty is at the top of my list, that damn franchise has bred a whole generation of angry, degenerate children and it needs to die. I've played a fair few of them as a friend really enjoys them, but playing online is not just the worst gaming experience I've ever had, but one of the worst life experiences in general. Awful franchise, awful community it attracts.

As for anything else I second Mirage's opinion, I'm not interested in seeing a franchise be killed off that I've either never or barely played. Like with Halo, I've only played the first game and didn't enjoy it enough to bother with anything it's spawned since, but it sells a lot of units and makes Microsoft a shedload of money, so it's all good.