Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What if FF as a series ended?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Eureka! What if FF as a series ended?

I'm not talking about the complete end of FF, think more of SE declaring XV as the final entry and future FF projects would either be them franchising out older entries, releasing spin-offs and ports/remakes, but no longer really planning on making a new numbered entry of the caliber of earlier entries and instead decide to expand older properties and release spin-offs, in other words, what they have kind of done the past thirteen years just no promise of a new numbered entry.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I wouldn't bat an eye. For me they haven't made a game that went beyond moderately enjoyable since FF9, and by now I have kind of lost faith that the next one is going to be one I really enjoy.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would be sad

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I wouldn't bat an eye.

Same here.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would be sad but not devastated.

It would be the equivalent of one of your favourite bands splitting up. Sad yes, but you've still got all their old records that you can listen to.

Blog Entries

I'd probably do one of those slow reassuring nods to myself and think "well, they had a good run".

And then replay everything.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Eyes on RPGs or Eyes on Gaming would become a serious possibility.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'd be pretty upset, I think. I really enjoy Final Fantasy, and everything attached to it, so I'd be left just replaying the previous entries.

I am not really that big of a fan of FFs that came after X so I wouldn't be like mad about it or something.

But at the same time I would be a little sad that a franchise that had/has so big part in my heart came to an end.

Anyway, it should either continue or end completely. I really think that SE is pretty bad with all it's spin offs and sequels. There are maybe three of those that don't suck. Rest of them either just suck or actually kind of ruin the story of the original.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I wouldn't bat an eye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    I would be sad

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post

Eyes on RPGs or Eyes on Gaming would become a serious possibility.
    EoFF isn't about FF like it used to be anyway. It's more like Eyes on Everything in all but name already. Which is good. And losing the potential for new FF does not mean EoFF's purpose fails. Hell, half the regulars these days don't even play FF regularly, perhaps haven't played one in years. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you've got to admit, FF just isn't what it used to be, and even (honest) FF fans like us know it.

It's not about one game or even two games not being up to par. It's about what is Square doing lately. What have they done in the last 5 years, the last 10 years, compared to what they accomplished in the years previous?

It's not even about effort. I think it's clear that they're trying. They're just failing. They don't have the right minds in charge right now, they've lost a lot of their true artists. FFXIII wasn't a 7. If it didn't have the name Final Fantasy, it would have at the very best a 5. And I personally think it's lower than that. Terrible game. Terrible series, and for anyone not interested in MMOs, that's all there's been for YEARS.

A tree can't abandon its roots, even to innovate. It can stretch its branches, it can bend, it can split in two. It can change colors, grow parasitic vines, it can hold tree houses and squirrel nests, it can have broken limbs and dead leaves and still be itself. But without its roots, without being able to sustain itself, it'll die, and that's what's happened to FF. They don't remember the roots. FFXIII was far enough from everything they'd done before it didn't deserve the name. Yes, the series was all about making a new game each time. That's doesn't mean, however, that anything they do is "innovative" just because it's new or different.

Square has lost its identity (as far as FF goes). Or rather, it's taken on a new one, and most of us don't like it. MAYBE they'll turn it around with FFXV, but I honestly don't think so.

I guess, for me anyway, as long as they keep putting games in these pseudo-modern settings, I'll be looking elsewhere to fill my gaming needs, and if all they're going to make is shiny, flashy "Final Fantasies" then the series is already dead to me. They've lost their grit, and that was half the beauty of the games prior to FFX. That's what sucked me into the series. And that's what kept me coming back, and that's gone.

tl;dr: I think it would be a mercy to let the series die in peace as things stand currently.
    Last edited by chionos; 08-22-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chionos View Post
    Square has lost its identity (as far as FF goes). Or rather, it's taken on a new one, and most of us don't like it. MAYBE they'll turn it around with FFV, but I honestly don't think so.
    I don't think so. Even today most people who hear "Square" think about Final Fantasy. Just because it evolves it does not mean it no longer has a trademark series.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'd be sad, then if FFXV wound up sucking I'd be pissed that's how the series ended, then I'd hope that Bravely Default would become their new staple, then I'd be sad again if that failed, then I'd hope for some more Tomb Raider, then I'd get over it. I haven't thoroughly enjoyed a Final Fantasy game since 2006 anyway.

While I haven't really loved a FF game since X-2, I'd still be sad if the series ended. They're not as amazing as they used to be but they're still good games and either way it's something for me to look forward to.