Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Serious Is This Game?

I figured it was censorship or maybe just technical limitations.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    I figured it was censorship or maybe just technical limitations.
    Ditto. Also having blood everywhere would probably make the dropping her into the water scene a little less elegant.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles

As a child playing it, i thought it was super serious. Haha.

But i feel i appreciate it more today as I can understand the undertones and suggestive themes that occur. It does get pretty dark if you dive into the back story. Even now, i don't see a problem with Cloud dressing up like a women... it just makes sense. Hell, its what I would d... ah forget that.

I also like the little things that characters say.. like when leaving Midgar and you choosing the party of Tifa and Aerith. Barret will comment on it. Brings a smile to my face. Many people may never even see that, but its there anyway. Kinda cute.

I think the mix of humour and seriousness is well done.

And the Aerith not bleeding thing. I agree, it probably has very little to do with the blade or where she was stabbed. Its a ratings thing, a technical thing, or just an oversight (like Sephiroth's appearing and disappearing gloves).

Might be fun to watch... or not.

I think it depends on what you are comparing it to. For it's time (one of the first games released on the original playstation) it was a pretty serious game. Need to remember that games like Super Mario Brothers were still some of the most popular games on the market back then.

By todays standards it is a little more on the kiddy though. If you try to compare it to The Last of Us Final Fantasy VII looks like it was made for a five year old.

So it really just depends on what you are comparing it to. If you are only comparing it to other games released around that time of the mid to late '90's it was a pretty serious game. In 2013 or 2014 however it would be viewed as a pretty juvenile game.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

What it looks like, sure. But how serious is it compared to the last of us when you move past the exterior, which is just a product of its time?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Ditto. Also having blood everywhere would probably make the dropping her into the water scene a little less elegant.
    I didn't think about the dignity about it, it does add to it by having no blood and make it more emotional.

I always assumed it was the massamune because of the real life story behind the blade.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by tony12 View Post
    I think it depends on what you are comparing it to. For it's time (one of the first games released on the original playstation) it was a pretty serious game. Need to remember that games like Super Mario Brothers were still some of the most popular games on the market back then.

By todays standards it is a little more on the kiddy though. If you try to compare it to The Last of Us Final Fantasy VII looks like it was made for a five year old.

So it really just depends on what you are comparing it to. If you are only comparing it to other games released around that time of the mid to late '90's it was a pretty serious game. In 2013 or 2014 however it would be viewed as a pretty juvenile game.
    I disagree, I mean cross-dressing, homo-erotic humor, Red XIII and Barret in uniforms, getting help from a dolphin to climb Junon tower, Palmer gets hit by a truck, Tifa's Orphepedic underwear. I would say that VII really wasn't any more serious than what was around in 97 even on the PlayStation or fledgling SNES and Saturn you could find games of equal caliber in terms of balancing serious moments with silly elements.

It doesn't make VII any less of a good game but I wouldn't say it was more serious than what was around it.