Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Serious Is This Game?

Default How Serious Is This Game?

So a common complaint I've read of the Compilation and its fans is that they simply don't remember how FFVII actually was. They treat the series oh-so-seriously and forget that there was a whole quest to have our hero dress up like a girl or take his black friend out on a date or the various whacky hijinks that ensued with Yuffie.

So my question is - how seriously do you think of VII? Does the actual game take itself all that seriously or did it have an appreciation for humor that a lot of its sequels lacked?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

While there were some dark and serious subjects explored in the game, it didn't take itself seriously 24/7 and a lot of fun was to be had too. Don Corneo, cross dressing, Mukki, Honey Bee Inn, orthopedic underwear, Sailor Suit Barret, Dio, riding on a dolphin to jump up an electrical tower because why not?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

You mean criticizing the compilation because it isn't serious enough? I think one of the compilations flaws is that it takes itself way too seriously for how ridiculous it all is.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

VII for the most part was a 16-bit RPG wrapped in a 32-bit shell and so it straddled the dichotomy of being serious and being utterly goofy like its predecessors. This has actually been one of the reasons why some fans have objected to the game getting a AC style remake because frankly the silly moment probably wouldn't translate well into that art style so a remake would probably grim the game up a bit or feel even more ridiculous trying to stay faithful.

I've always felt there was a big difference between the real version of VII from the game, and the myth version fans have kind of created for it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

VII did have a sense of humour, even if it wasn't necessarily the type of humour I always appreciate. I do know that as a fan of the series, sharky is quite upset at how the rest of the compilation took itself too seriously compared to FFVII. I haven't played much of the others but it did seem that they kind of regressed Cloud's character from the way he ended in VII to the start of Advent Children for example

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Like most if not all of the Final Fantasies that I've played FFVII is serious when it wants to be, and funny when it wants to be. It's one of the things I like about them, is that even if it has a serious storyline it knows how to take a break from it, and have a little comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    You mean criticizing the compilation because it isn't serious enough? I think one of the compilations flaws is that it takes itself way too seriously for how ridiculous it all is.
    You got it backwards. I said they criticized it because it was too serious.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think it's very serious. Even the killing of Aerith/Aeris is kind of comical what with Sephiroth's ridiculous massive sword impaling her from behind.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    I don't think it's very serious. Even the killing of Aerith/Aeris is kind of comical what with Sephiroth's ridiculous massive sword impaling her from behind.
    My favorite thing I heard about this was some fan who over-analyzed the scene and came to the conclusion that Aerith wasn't killed but instead suffered a spin injury that most likely paralyzed severely which they then turned around and pointed out how her "burial" could be interpreted as Cloud putting her out of her misery since she could still technically alive from such an injury until the whole drowning thing. Have sweet dreams children.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I hate how even SE themselves forgot that the game was humorous when they started making the compilation.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know, Crisis Core had its moments though the majority of it was in the side missions and some of the DMW summons. Though its interesting to note that in battles against Sephiroth, Angeal and Genesis they disabled the ability to summon any of the animal mascot monsters in those fights to keep the dramatic tone of the fight.

How could Aerith have been fatally wounded? She wasn't even bleeding. it was clearly a flesh wound.

I think that this game is really dark and serious, perhaps maybe one of the darkest Final Fantasy games, though the game tries to pretend that it's not dark or disturbing while pretending to be light or does silly/ clownish things.

Example- Cloud drag scene.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    How could Aerith have been fatally wounded? She wasn't even bleeding. it was clearly a flesh wound.
    It's because she was stabbed with a massamune, which don't draw blood (not sure how the blood in the Shinra building pertain to this though).

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    It's because she was stabbed with a massamune, which don't draw blood (not sure how the blood in the Shinra building pertain to this though).
    More likely it was a bit of technical oversight caused by trying to make the scene look more dramatic, technically if you watch the scene Sephiroth has disappearing/reappearing gloves as well.