Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GIVE ME A CHALLENGE!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Heh, you were right, she's definitely been hit. Not nearly as much as Gus and Firion though. I think being completely unarmored must make the enemies attack you more because Gus gets pummeled all the time compared to my other party members.
    Yeah, I feel the A.I. is pretty smart in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover
    Anyway, why the game is weird, Firion with his amazing set of Armor and sword could do 0 damage to the Adamantoise while it did 100 damage to him in one shot. Firion only had about 120 HP so two hits and he was down. I guess I should be glad the thing didn't hit Maria - she only has 75 HP and would be killed in one hit more than likely. Meanwhile there was Gus and Josef, completely unarmored and with bare fists, able to do about 50 damage to the thing while it could only do about 60 damage to them. Gus almost had 300 Hp by this point so what did that matter.

So Firion decked out with the best equipment was totally useless while Maria with her Ice Magic and the other two saved the day. I guess if i ever have to fight a giant monster turtle, I should just punch it to death instead of trying to grab a weapon.
    There are several enemies in this game who have incredibly high physical defense so you always need at least one mage. Depending on what you're magic level is, it's possible to one shot that boss but it sounds like you're doing a more natural progression. Bare Fist is brutal in this game but later weapons and armor start granting stat bonuses and other bonuses that make them ideal, as much as I harp on Lances being useless in this game, the Holy Lance is actually a really good weapon. Piece of advice, weapons can be used as items to cast powerful spells but with the exception of the Wind Drake Key Item, all the other times you do this will make you lose the weapon so be careful about that.

Now it's onto Kas'Ion and Gordon. Finally have a respectable amount of Gil though so I bought Firion a Life Scroll straight away. Probably going to need that.... Also Maria can finally actually be a Black Mage now she has Ice. We haven't been able to get any other attack magic up to this point that I know of so she has just been kinda worthless with her bow attacks.
    Firion will catch up once you get farther into the game and access to more specialized gear. There are not actually that many attack spells in the game to be honest (not counting instant kill spells, there are only seven offensive spells, two of which are White Magic) so Maria actually has most of them, the one spell I will recommend getting and leveling though it Toad, very few enemies have immunity to it and if you raise its level high enough it works more efficiently but in this game its basically an instant death spell.

Oh and I forgot to mention my second Game Over was because I was thinking "okay, I'll get most of the treasures and a lot of Gil from random encounters then Warp out and go heal." So i get all the way to the Ancient Sword and then guess what happens. Gus is down, Josef is nearly dead and I figure it's a good time to leave now I have that. Only...Warp won't work. What the hell. I can only assume I have to level it up? i didn't count on that crap. While trying to run from the dungeon I died because Flee is absolutely useless in this game.
    Warp will take you back to a previous floor for every level it has and if there is not previous level it takes you outside. Interesting thing I just learned, it doesn't work in five locations in the game, namely places where story events occur, so Snow Cave, Bafsk Sewers, Dreadnought, Coliseum, and Castle Palamecia.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Bare Fist is brutal in this game but later weapons and armor start granting stat bonuses and other bonuses that make them ideal, as much as I harp on Lances being useless in this game, the Holy Lance is actually a really good weapon. Piece of advice, weapons can be used as items to cast powerful spells but with the exception of the Wind Drake Key Item, all the other times you do this will make you lose the weapon so be careful about that.
    I didn't know anything about this. That's pretty awesome. I haven't been sure what Items to give my characters. I sincerely recall nothing about this weird Item System in Dawn of Souls. I guess I just always used Magic to heal in battle.

I also don't remember the Inventory being so small....

Firion will catch up once you get farther into the game and access to more specialized gear. There are not actually that many attack spells in the game to be honest (not counting instant kill spells, there are only seven offensive spells, two of which are White Magic) so Maria actually has most of them, the one spell I will recommend getting and leveling though it Toad, very few enemies have immunity to it and if you raise its level high enough it works more efficiently but in this game its basically an instant death spell.
    Yeah doesn't it even work on some bosses? I've heard about how broken it is. I'm not sure if it counts as Black or White Magic though.

EDIT:

Progress Report Time.

Just destroyed the Dreadnaught. Guy has like 1,000 HP while Firion and Gordon, the two with the next highest HP, only have about 300. It's kinda absurd.

I think Gordon is about to leave us soon anyway if I'm remembering right.

The real way to get Gil is to fight those Ogre Mages. They have a high probability of dropping Berserk Scrolls which go for 5,000 a pop. I kept one to teach it to Maria and sold about 6 or 7 more. That plus all the Gil enemies are dropping now got me up to 80,000 or so. Back down to 60K because I bought a couple Cottages and about 8 Ethers just so I'm on the safe side.

Oh and I'm noticing a pattern here with how I have to play. I go into the dungeon, I collect most of the treasure, gain levels and Gil, theN i have to run the hell out of said dungeon and go restock items and heal. I did that with the Snow Cave, Kas'Ion and now the Dreadnaught. Guy just eats up my Hi Potion constantly and I keep running out of MP.

I think now is a good time to stop and do some magic level grinding. Maria has to get her Fire and Bolt up to level 3 to join her Ice and also i want to get Berserk up a level or 2 because I hear it's really good. Also Guy can't do anything except Attack so Berserk on him seems like a smart move. Firion meanwhile has to train up Shield and Shell.
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 08-25-2014 at 12:19 PM.

I wonder if I should scrap my challenge or at least give Guy another Job because holy hell, boss fights are proving way too easy. Basically all Firion and Maria do is buff him up with Shield and Berserk and then he kills the boss in a couple turns. That's how the Chimera and Fake Princess bosses have gone anyway. I'm fine with him being my main damage dealer but he does TOO MUCH damage

Maybe give him a dagger or something but keep him completely unarmored. The odd thing is tht I remember boss fights being harder in Dawn of Souls but regular encounters were easier. I think magic did more damage in DOS... Or maybe the Gigas enemies had less HP. I remember distinctly because I grinded attack spells for the Gigas encounters in Deist Cavern because weapons were pretty much useless. But even my level 3 Bolt/Ice/Fire do nothing to the things in Origins. I think I grinded them up to Level 5 in DOS though so maybe that's why.

But yeah, the Fake Princess was a bitch in DOS. She had Level XVI Blink I believe. Here? She died after two attacks from Guy. It's kinda disappointing.
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 08-25-2014 at 06:45 PM.