Thread: Dark Side of the Rainbow

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Dark Side of the Rainbow

Just in case someone's not sure what it is.

Has anyone here ever done this? I've always really wanted to, but have never had the chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nah. We talked about doing it in high school, but never did. I don't think I'd care to do it now, nor would I care to consume the amount of drugs probably required to adequately enjoy the experience.

Plus The Wizard of Oz is one of the greatest films ever made and I don't want to alter anything about my relationship with it as a spectator.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I only read about this a week or so ago and saw the first scene. It worked really well and I wanted to try it. But then the Wizard of Oz doesn't really appeal to me as a movie.

Blog Entries

I considered it as it might make Dark side of the Moon more enjoyable since I listened to it and dont really see what all the fuss is about.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

My parents, especially my father, are huge Pink Floyd fans (as am I), and we have done this. Only once, however. I also personally saw it at an exgirlfriend's house a number of years ago. It is uncanny how often it syncs up, but those expecting every single second to sync will be disappointed. I thought it was cool.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Never tried it.

:monster:

I've never been high enough where it seemed like it would actually enhance the experience.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

It's worth watching through the meeting with the scarecrow, maybe through lion. The coolest thing to me is the line "Which is which and who is who" right as the camera pans from Glinda to the Wicked Witch and back.

The only time I've crossed media is when I was playing Fatal Frame muted in the dark while listening to Evanescence. It was a satisfyingly pretty creepy experience.

I wonder if anything syncs with Treehouse of Horror.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I did this before I ever consumed any type of drug, including alcohol, and it's honestly just a great time. I guess you shouldn't do it if you don't like Pink Floyd or The Wizard of Oz (I have to accept that people like this exist, especially as I get older), as it won't really give you any new insight into either. Of course, don't watch DSotR if you have never seen The Wizard of Oz. That's no fun either. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is open your mind to the idea that it's not COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE for this to have been intentional.

It's kind of laughable to think that the album was created to sync with the movie, that much is clear. Home video didn't really exist at the time, so it would have been kind of an outlandish project to even undertake: they would have had to own a copy of a movie print in some form (NOT IMPOSSIBLE) and take detailed notes regarding each act of synchronicity (NOT IMPOSSIBLE). On top of that, nothing like the precision timing available today was around back then. In the 70s, The Dark Side of the Moon would only have been available on vinyl, cassette and 8-Track, all of which required you to get up and flip something over in the middle of the album, which would not be possible to account for on the film side of things.

If (and I recognize this is a big IF) there ever was any intention to sync this music with this movie, it was probably meant to be score added to a special film print, or more likely and more interestingly, to be performed live over the film itself (if you think this is far-fetched, go ahead and google info on the Liquid Light Show trend in psychedelic music in the 60s and 70s). IF this was the case, legal and logistical hurdles probably put an end to it pretty early on, but not early enough to completely extricate the film from the DNA of the project. The themes, the lyrics, the PACKAGING DESIGN, are all consistent with the core of this film, which is ultimately about a young girl using fantasy to re-contextualize the difficult truths in her life.

It's TOO CLOSE. It lines up just THIS side of TOO WELL. You can't ignore it as just some stoner fancy. The fact that one of the greatest rock albums of the 20th century and one of the greatest films of the 20th century share so much against all odds and reason is kind of a gift from the gods of art, and you shouldn't pass it up. Carve out a thursday night in your schedule, find an MP3 player with gapless playback, queue up the third roar, and just forget your cynicism for one wonderful evening.

Every single person involved with the making of this album will tell you that there was nothing like the intention to sync this album with this movie, and they're right. It's impossible. But what if it were possible? That's worth your two hours, isn't it?

EDIT: I don't condone drug use but if I did I would point you here: http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Echoes_(P...zation_rumours
    goku

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I haven't tried it, but I keep meaning to do so, as it sounds awesome. I do not own either the album or the movie so I will rely on YouTube.

The thing is though, I am actually interested in how audio and visual can synch up. I actually see it happen a few times, due to the fact that I tend to listen to music with the TV on mute (though I do sometimes turn the TV off) and there are times where whatever is on TV somehow fits with whatever I'm playing, be it in synch or somehow relevant in another way - one time, when I was at a bar, the music video for "You Spin Me Round" by Dead or Alive was on the TV, but it was muted, and the radio was playing "It Wasn't Me" by Shaggy, and somehow they managed to fit together.

I guess what makes The Dark Side of the Rainbow so awesome, and the most famous is that (supposedly) everything or almost everything synchs up rather than just bits of it going together.

Haven't tried and I don't think I will.

The Dark Side of the Moon is my favourite and most listened album in my life, and while I am intrigued by the possibility of Wizard of Oz matching up I'm kind of scared of ruining the album for me

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    Haven't tried and I don't think I will.

The Dark Side of the Moon is my favourite and most listened album in my life, and while I am intrigued by the possibility of Wizard of Oz matching up I'm kind of scared of ruining the album for me
    If you really love the album, then nothing can ruin it. But it's up to you.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    I am intrigued by the possibility of Wizard of Oz matching up I'm kind of scared of ruining the album for me
    Don't worry, Pink Floyd did that themselves.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I tried it with the CD about 15 years ago and don't remember being very impressed. Maybe I'll try it with the record one day soon.