Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anime that had the biggest influence on you.

That's pretty neat. I didn't learn about FY until long after the days of VHS. I'm surprised it took hold so well with just that level of exposure. But I guess it just shows you can't keep a good anime down.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    OMG I remember these. My brother had the action figures of the latter I used to play with all the time.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Hard question.. Probably "Saint Seiya"..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Fullmetal Alchemist for sure, I watched the original series first and thought it was fantastic, followed almost immediately by Brotherhood which took it to the next level and showed me just how good anime can be.

Articles
    Blog Entries

For me, there could only be one answer.

Simply put, this anime changed my way of thinking. I didn't even know I could be so passionate about a work of fiction; not even Final Fantasy came close to producing this kind of reaction from me. It introduced me to Key, who are now easily my favorite story writers in any medium, and was basically my introduction to the world of visual novels. While I did read Ace Attorney before, I never followed up on it.

Now Shauna made a good point with Key adaptations typically not making much sense, and overall being far more confusing than the original visual novels. Clannad however is a special case - the anime adaptation is great. Absolutely wonderful. It expands on the original, ties everything together more neatly than I'd have ever thought possible, and still has that spirit of the original. Much more than can be said for certain other adaptations (*cough* Little Busters *cough*).

While I also contemplated putting Elfen Lied, as it was my introduction to anime in general and without it I'd have never gotten to know Clannad, it didn't have as immediate of an impact on me as Clannad did. I feel so enriched having watched this anime and could not imagine my current situation without it.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Boku no Pico was pretty impactful for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    something about air
    The girl was the reincarnation of an angel who got herself cursed by monks that feared her power.

The guy is the descendant of a family of puppet masters who served the girl.

The show is about love, people.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Boku no Pico was pretty impactful for me.
    "Don't watch an anime called Boku"

"Yooohhhhh what the smurf"

I understand though. Boku no pico is like a rite of passage for 4 chan users. Deep shame follows.

I've seen worse.

Then again, I have no scruples about hentai.

Devil Hunter Yhoko was probably my first legitimate anime. Also probably my first legitimate hentai. And as a 12 year old I actually stumbled across it. Purely on accident. With no ill intention

I could name Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Digimon or Monster Rancher as influential to me, but I don't really consider them so...they're shows I grew up with; I didn't even know they were anime until several years after the fact. I still don't consciously think of them as anime, to be honest. So I am going to go with...

Princess Tutu! A show I decided to watch out of sheer boredom and ended up loving to pieces. I watched Tutu for its story, not for flashy action scenes or humour, which was all I had looked for in anime previously. But I genuinely cared about the characters, and that fantastic blend of the familiar (the fairytale characters and classical music pieces) with the unfamiliar (the twists in the plot) kept me hooked right to the end. I guess it was with this show that I started to see anime as more than just Japanese cartoons, I guess? An art form in its own right which can tell a captivating story just as well as a good book or video game can. There have been other anime that have had this effect on me since, but Tutu was the first, and I still consider it one of the best.

My earliest rememberd anime, though I didn't know of the term at the time, was 'Samurai Pizza Cat's' followed by Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon. I loved all of those shows.

Though what hooked me was the Adult Swim block with Trigun and Bebop.

So those five.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Definitely Cowboy Bebop. No other anime has been able to captivate me since. I've tried so many but just couldn't stick with them. I would have liked if CB had more episodes.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Attached Images Attached Images
    I like Kung-Fu.

Elfin Lied I am now scared of woman Gundam seed series....people seem to think it's awful but I really enjoyed it with fma. Naruto would be up there but it's wasted potential...it could have been 100X better.