Thread: Neon Genesis Evangelion Manga

Default Neon Genesis Evangelion Manga

The following is a record of me reading through Volumes 1-12 of the NGE manga.

Because I like to listen to myself and hopefully get input from others.

PART 1
    Bought the first 3 volumes of the manga finally.

Unless I'm very much mistaken the page about the Angel was not in the anime. About it being adaptable, not being "remote controlled", having it sown pr-programmed intelligence - all of that is detail for the manga and I appreciate the clarification. It's that kind of little detail that I was hoping the manga would provide.

Gendo says Shinji is to "ride in her." I don't recall him ever calling Eva Unit 01 a she in the anime either, at least not when talking to Shinji. In fact, it seems like everyone refers to Unit 01 as "her" in this.

Also another neat manga detail I just recalled - Shinji was left with his uncle. I always wondered where the hell he was before the series started. They never really went into it. I really think the series could have benefited from seeing a world post-Second Impact pre-Angel Attack. I dunno, that's based largely on a worldbuilding perspective. It's certainly not essential but maybe even for the characters it could have worked to see what they were all up to before the Angels returned. What were they doing to the wake of the near-extinction of the human race? I guess we saw bitts and pieces though but a little more couldn't have hurt.

Shinji: My father's never needed me but now he's built a -robot- that needs me? Some joke. Right. It doesn't make any sense. But SO WHAT? I'm not afraid to die! And I will NOT let father call me a coward!

Holy trout, Shinji is awesome. Who knew?

Interesting... The start of Chapter 5, with Shini thinking he's dead then seeing a vision of Yui and realizing he didn't want to die before calling out for his parnets, that wasn't in the anime was it? I wonder why picturing Yui gave him a sudden desire to live since he seemed resigned to death before he saw her.

I agree with you Misato, it doesn't matter what Shinji's motives were, he still saved the day. That is what should matter to determining a good person. You hear that over in the Gundam thread, you Kamille haters?

Speaking of Kamille, I retract what I said earlier about Shinji being "awesome." I liked that quote I posted but I think it's more accurate to say Manga Shinji is just more mouthy.

But I did like Shinji tearing up at Misato's praise instead of just being his usual glum self. Shinji was always so...mild in a very unhealthy way that even as seemingly whiny as he was he kept a lot in. Manga Shinji lets it all out, good and bad.

And that's Volume 1. Holy trout, I might have to buy Volumes 4-6 if they all go this fast. I'm sure the following volumes will have a lot more text and story in them and take longer though. At least I hope.

PART 2

Ya know I would say poor Shinji but after the first few times he really should have been ready for those Rock Paper Scissors contests.

Wait, I know the "meteor hit Antarctica" thing was all just a coverup but would sea levels rising cause volcanic eruptions? I legit don't know.

Wow, Toji is awful. "It ain't that my sister was went to the hospital, it's that she could get a scar and never be a babe." smurf you dude.

Ooh, more mention of Shinji's uncle. I wonder if he's related to Gendo or Yui? My guess would be Yui. Either way, he hasn't tried to contact Shinji so maybe he just never cared or maybe he's dead or maybe he was never his uncle at all but some sort of plant or whatever you want to call it.

Interesting, wasn't it Misato who gave Anime Shinji the order to let Kensuke and Toji in the Eva? In the manga it was his idea and she was against it. Seems kind of minor but Shinji being bold is just a very radical change.

I don't remember if this was the reason he ran away the first time in the anime but here, he ran away because he thought Misato legitimately cared for him and then he found that report that she was spying on his activities and the like so he just thought she was looking at him as a useful tool. I can understand why that upset him since we saw how clearly her feelings mattered to him when he teared up at her praise.

I guess I just feel him being more...expressive helps Shinji.

How blunt of you Ritsuko, we could just kidnap Shinji and brainwash him into piling the Eva. Nice. Gendo kept quiet on that suggestion but he's a much craftier fellow than Ritsuko. Like he said "It's simplicity itself to foresee what a person will do when they're cornered." He knows force isn't necessary.

I agree with this entry on the Heartwarming NGE Moments:

"In the manga, Toji and Kensuke rush to the train station hoping to say goodbye to Shinji. They see the train pass and are dismayed...only to see Shinji and Misato hugging in reconciliation. The fact that Misato realizes Shinji is just a lonely kid who desperately wants to be loved and chooses to empathize with him instead of telling him that he's being useless and to toughen up like everyone else is a heartwarming development in their relationship in general."

And that's Volume 2. Holy trout, this is going way too fast. I went and bought up to Volume 9 because I'm tearing through this. I've only read a few manga up to this point and I recall them all taking way, way longer. Basara took forever just to get up to Volume 4.

P.S.
    I always hear about Anno but this guy is my kinda guy.

PART 3

I think Sadamoto explains why I'm enjoying the manga more than the anime very well:

Specifically it's in 3 - basically that the manga doesn't bombard you with information as much and instead takes its time. It also gives you some greater insight into the character's thoughts.

I like reading Sadamoto's interviews, he seems like someone I could relate to more than Anno and he explains himself very well here. The reason his Shinji is different from Anno's is because, well, Sadamoto is not Anno. They have different ideas and perspectives on the same situations. Even if we did hear Anime Shinji's internal dialogue more it probably wouldn't sound like Manga Shinji's thoughts because Anno wouldn't agree with the stuff Sadamoto has written into the charact

This flashback of Shinji with his aunt, uncle and the bike was curious... He got into trouble to see if Gendo would come to pick him up at the station?

And then he wakes up and finds Rei there looking at him as he says "Mom...." Foreshadowing! Also weirdness. But I like some weirdness in my shipping so ah well.

And that's Volume 3 done. Man it's going to be annoying when I get to Volume 9. I still have to buy 4 more volumes and even then I'll have to wait until the end of November for Volume 14. Bleh.

And hey, Asuka's intro chapter marks the first real story change. She kicked that angel's ass off-panel and met Shinji and them in Japan instead of off on that ship. There have been little alterations or additions up to this point but I think this chapter is the first chapter that is completely different. I hope this is a start of a trend. I have enjoyed how different some things are but 99% is the same which is probably another reason I've been sailing through the first 3 volumes so fast.

That's not nice Shinji.

Holy trout, did Asuka explain the real Second Impact to Shinji in the anime? I really doubt it, he was totally in the dark about everything at every time from what I recall. But Manga Asuka laid it all out here, about the "First Angel" being discovered, the subsequent blast and the real purpose of the Evas being to prevent Third Impact. Thank you manga for being so succinct and open, it is very much appreciated. And Shinji is slightly more clued in, always a plus.

Shinji: Look, I don't have a complex. I hate him. So much that I wonder why he's my father. But... I don't really WANT to hate him.

I am intensely curious about Gendo's and Shinji's relationship in the manga. People have already kinda spoiled me on Manga Gendo. I take it a lot of people on here and elsewhere dislike him compared to his Anime self. In any event, while I hav ea rough idea of how it ends, I wanna see how it develops ya know? Knowing an ending is nothing if you don't know the middle.

Why is Kaji so frickin' awesome? I guess in a series where everyone depressingly neurotic or stoically crazy the guy who is smiling and in control and always helping others really stands out as the best.

So i was right, the manga had Rei be the first pilot of Unit 01. I had thought that was only manga canon but I wasn't quite sure. Way back in like the first chapter Shinji sees Rei piloting Unit 01. of course in the anime his first sight of her is on the stretcher. Interesting, I was reminded elsewhere that Unit 01 rejected her in the anime at some point? I was wondering about that because Rei is a clone of Yui so you'd figure she'd work great in teh robot with Yui's soul. Apparently not. At least in the anime.

But that's Volume 4 down... I liked Asuka's introduction but the dance stuff was stupid and boring just like in the anime. I hope the next volume switches up the story a bit like I mentioned earlier and it keeps things interesting.

The whole party bit was touching for both Shinji and Asuka. They both...unwound and Shinji looked happier than I ever recall seeing him in the anime.

Now Shinji is having a chat with Rei that i don't remember in the anime but maybe it happened. About how he needs to talk to his father and tell him how he feels or else nothing will change. I guess I can already see how that's gonna end up but Shinji does seem like he's trying to "mend the fences" more than in the anime. I mean he's putting forward more effort even if he doesn't want to as he's resigned it's hopeless. Like i said, Gendo's and Shinji's relationship interests me a lot as it's been the one thing I've been hearing about Eva even before I got into the series.

Speaking of Rei though, they put her in Unit 01 and she said she lost herself and that she felt another person's presence... Everything seemed to be going well though. Yui's body and Yui's soul should get along you'd think. Then again, I guess I can see why one might reject the other. I don't think Rei particularly liked the experience.

A very interesting page.

.I definitely don't remember that in the grave scene in the anime. It's not completely awful - it sounds to me just like more trademark "Gendo Coldness." Still, an interesting exchange.

Right after this scene of him brushing off Shinji, he has a chat with Rei. It at fist looked like it was going to be the same as the anime where he kinda ignored Shinji but seemed to take note of Rei. Only we have Rei's internal thoughts at this point right after talking to Gendo. "All we talk about is work... He seems to care about me, but he's really thinking about someone else." Sadamoto mentioned earlier in one of the interview bits I posted that he wanted to give us insight into the characters' "souls" and I think he's doing that. I really do enjoy that we have the ability to glimpse what goes on in these peoples' heads.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...psc3cc6a43.png

So this is particularly interesting to me because it makes it seem like Shinji is defending his "hated" father here. He's apparently been hearing horrible things about him ever since he was young, and this is right on the heels of that graveyard scene, but he's still sticking up for his father. Shinji is a remarkably...kind person if that's the right word.

Fuyutsuki turned out to be one of my favorite characters in the anime. I'm curious to see what happens in the manga, if anything is different at all in regards to him. I did like this exchange.

Another benefit to getting the manga, in addition to the Sadamoto blurbs, is the "extra info" I just read.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps23c9271f.png

Info about Manga Angels vs. Anime Angels. I never would have realized this on my own. I wonder if this change will be significant.

Shinji: What I feel for Ayanami...it doesn't go with words...like "like" and "want to go out with"...she's a part of me that was torn away a long time ago...

Completely disregarding the Yui clone stuff, I wonder what exactly this could mean?

So I mentioned earlier that Manga Shinji was clued in a bit more than his anime self. Now he's SUPER clued in. Kaji just laid it all out - Angels always target Nerv HQ, all the Evangelions are stationed there, and this is all no coincidence. Someone knew about all this and that person is Gendo. He also explicitly knew about Second Impact while it was only strongly implied in the anime. Finally, Kaji explains the group behind Gendo and his foreknowledge - SEELE. Did Shinji ever even hear that term in the anime?

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps9baa6458.png

I appreciate this kind of clarity, thank you.

And speaking of clarity...

Does the manga support the Evil Yui theory?
    Seems to me his phrasing here implies the way Gendo is - the man he has become - is Yui's fault.

Intriguing.

And that's Volume 5! Wow, that was a much more satisfying and tantalizing finish than any previously.

PART 4

I like Kaji encouraging Shinji to forge ahead even if he doesn't want to. Yes Shinji you are in a very sucky position but as he said you are also in a unique position. you are the son of the Ikaris and while Kaji didn't come out and say this, I think his point was something like "it's your responsibility to fix the mess these two have made."

So I remember in the Director's Cut of one of the episodes Asuka tries to undress for Kaji, or at least she shows off her breasts, and begs him to look at her. It was honestly really painful to watch... Asuka was always the most "outspoken" so her pain and anguish perhaps came through clearer than Shinji's or Rei's. Anyway, in the manga, she more or less does the same thing with Kaji again but not in a flashback. More importantly, the scene didn't just "end" after that. We got to see Kaji's reaction and how he'd handle it. I always wondered just how much he knew or suspected about how damaged Asuka was... I still can't tell.

Holy trout so Shinji knew Toji was the Fourth? More importantly, Toji's sister has been in intensive care the whole manga and their "incentive" to get him to join and pilot Unit 03 was to give his sister better medical care? The smurf.

Hey, I like Toji being revealed as the pilot like this. It was always obvious in the anime but they treated it like some sort of mystery. Toji just got kinda quiet and standoffish after learning about it all. Here he admits to Shinji how scared he is and Shinji of all people councils him on facing his fear and tries to help him feel better. Goddam, knowing what I know, this is gonna be brutal....

Interesting...the battle with the "infected" Unit 03 is already different I think. Shinji knew it's Toji in there from the start so he shouts at Rei not to hurt the Eva/Angel. Gendo orders her to do it anyway but she hesitates when she learns Toji is in there. Rei already seems more independent than how I remember her in the anime.

So Toji didn't actually die in the anime did he? He ended up surviving? As horrible as it is, I think him dying in the manga makes much more sense. It also breaks my heart to see Hikari...to know the last words she and Toji exchanged were "we will get together when I get back." Okay that wasn't EXACTLY it but very close. She clearly thought so at any rate. I wonder if we'll even see her again...

Also for the moment I bet EVERYONE was waiting for in the anime:

Sadly, coming on the heels of what happened to Toji, it's not as awesome as it could have been. Just poor Shinji lashing out with all that rage and grief he's got built up inside.

Unit 01 is rejecting Gendo...according to him anyway. Now this I remember in Rebuild so I assume it happened in the anime too. In the manga it's when he tries to have Rei pilot it. Yui hates you Gendo! Maybe?

Jesus, Kaji's backstory is just as horrible as I had heard. You can't blame little Kaji at all for what he did...but I know he blames himself.

But regardless of that,
    http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps25cd1d55.png http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...psf535d510.png

I just...these three situations aren't really comparable Kaji. Yes Shinji could have done more to save Toji than simply freeze up and refuse to do anything, but that isn't remotely similar to a young Misato being feried off to safety while her father died. It's also not similar to you trading your brother's life for your own.

Overall...the scene is still very poignant but I prefer the anime version. The anime version was actually inspirational. This is just...smurfed up.

And then a nice ominous ending.

When Gendo smiles, a puppy dies.Or maybe the human race.

But then after this there is ANOTHER ominous ending with Kaworu. I'm very intrigued to see Manga Kaworu. Anime Kaworu was one of my favorite characters and the fact he gets an entire arc in the manga is nice. But I hear he's very different but how different seems to depend on who you talk to. I look forward to it in any event.

And that's Volume 7 down. With any luck I can get Volume 10-13 later today when I get paid back some cash I'm owed. I don't want to stop at Volume 9!

To cap off this post, http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...pse8d38473.png

I really like this page. I'm not sure why.

U]PART 5[/U]

Okay I put my read on halt for a bit there because i wasn't sure if i could get Volumes 10-13. I have them now however so let's continue with Volume 8.

So I totally spaced on Rei being a Yui clone until someone reminded me a few weeks or a month ago or whatever it was. It's totally hitting me in the face with this volume though. Gendo is being...well, creepy in a different way.

Oh dear. I've heard some Internet speculation on what he might have done to Rei. Not that subtle in the manga I don't think.

Heh, reminds me of the Gundam 00 meme. "smurfing Ribbons." What was Alejandro doing when he wasn't on screen? smurfing Ribbons.

Oh no, Naked Mom Attack! Be gone Evil Ghost Bitch! But seriously, what's with the panels of just Yui's breasts? I'm not against boobs but come on. A whole panel of just them? Regardless of all that though, she's being creepy ghost. Ya know the ghosts who want you to "join them." She's sure convinced Shinji to stay absorbed in the Eva.

But wait! It's like I said, this volume is all about Rei and Yui so far. "I am you. you are myself. You are what used to be me." vs. "Yes you are me. I am what used to be you." Yui and Yui's clone fighting for Shinji's soul. I think Freud would love this manga.

Okay so that wasn't "real Yui." It was "evil phantom Yui?" I dunno what the hell. Shinji has another mental trip but this Yui is a lot nicer and encourages him to go wherever he wants. More importantly, Imaginary Gendo was there too and so was Imaginary Baby Shinji. I figure it might be a flashback and I would post it but there be boobies so I'll settle for copying the dialogue that I found noteworthy:

Gendo: This is a shady spot to stand in.

Yui: For our son.

Gendo: ...in Hell.

Yui: No. If he has the will to live...he can make a Heaven wherever he is. As long as he lives...he'll find the chance to be happy everywhere.

Gendo: ... Is that what you think?

Gendo looks as sour as ever and I think his response reflects that. Yui meanwhile is all smiles. If this is actually a snapshot of the two of them while they were alive, it doesn't look like much has changed for old Gendo even after Yui's death. But as I already said, the authenticity of this whole bit is very much suspect.

And hey! It's the manga equivalent of one of my favorite parts in the anime, Fuyutsuki's flashback after being kidnapped by SEELE. This is a rather big...uh, I guess you could call it "character building" time.

For example, what Yui has to say of Gendo: "He hates being alone. ...And I find him very endearing."

And Fuyutsuki: "But...everyone I knww who had an opinion said the same thing: Gendo Rokubungi married Yui Ikari for two reasons: Access to her groundbreaking theories...and to the patron supporting her work."

So Yui characterizes Gendo's primary characteristic as a dislike of solitude? But Fuyu just thinks he was using Yui so is what she saw in him even genuine? I guess time will tell.

Heh, I like this. Yui laments that Fuyutsuki doesn't like Gendo; that Gendo would like if a man like Fuyutsuki could "understand" him and be at his side. Earlier on, before Fuyutsuki was abducted, we have a panel of him saying he doesn't understand Gendo because Gendo refuses to see Shinji even after Shinji's miraculous return from being in the Eva. So I guess Yui got half of her wish - Fuyutsuki was by Gendo's side but he never did figure him out.

Gendo: Eva Unit 00...the prototype for "Project E"...our plan to regenerate Adam.

Wait, what? Okay forget Gendo having his own ideas, why would you want to regenerate Adam? That seems kinda the opposite of what you should want to do from what I know of the whole "lore." I guess maybe this is a manga departure from "canon"?

Speaking of which, the underground cavern they are all working in was made by some other super-advanced civilization according to Gendo. There was no other civilization on Earth in "canon" as far as I know. The FAR that made Adam and Lilith never came to Earth to build, trout just hit the planet I thought?

Getting back to Pre-Yui is eaten Gendo vs. Gendo as of the present, Fuyutsuki does say that Yui's death "changed" him. So maybe he came to doubt his earlier opinion that Gendo was just using her?

So we're finally getting to Naoko and Ritsuko. I think the whole Magi System as her mom's motherhood, womanhood and scientist(hood) was already well documented by now in the anime but it still hasn't been mentioned yet. We're just FINALLY getting to the Akagis going crazy with Ritsuko threatening to murder Rei. I don't remember that in the anime...

And that's Volume 8.

So this manga is totally living up to the "It has a lot of Rei" part of what I was told. lol Asuka is just kinda there and does something every now and then but all the important trout involves Rei.

Overall things are really getting fascinating and fun to read which is probably why Volume 8 took way longer to read than most others. I think I'm gonna be going slower for these last 5 volumes. But hey, I'm not complaining. This is what I've been waiting for. Lots of people elsewhere talking down about the "trout ending" of the manga and I want to see it for myself. Things are really gonna go off the rails from the anime at this point I think.

To end this part:
    To hell with just trying to punch Gendo, this is what everyone really wanted.

And poor Sadamoto.

PART 6

Continuing on with Volume 9...

Kaworu has shown up. And he's strangled a kitten. Now I have much more sympathy with animals than my fellow man. I could never hurt an animal, especially not some poor stray kitten. But the way Kaworu explains it, it makes a very cold and logical sense. It also highlights one of Shinji's greatest failings - his inaction out of "kindness." It was out of "kindness" he failed to do anything against Toji and so the worst possible outcome happened. He didn't even try to help. The same happened with the cat, Shinji couldn't help it so he was "kind" and left it alone. Only starvation is not a good way to go... Kaworu was doing his own type of "kindness" by killing it.

In the end both boys probably took the wrong damned approach. But then again, given the world they live in, I suppose there isn't just an animal shelter nearby. Although now I type this, I'm remembering Misato saving Pen-Pen. If she can save him, why can't Shinji save this kitten? Also does Manga Ritsuko like cats like her anime self? He could has given it to her. Perhaps this is just another example of his refusal to get involved smurfing things up?

And thanks a lot Dr. Asshole Exposition about giving us the whole explanation of what happened to Asuka's mother. I smurfing never got that in the anime. If it was explained, I don't remember it. I just knew she went crazy and started believing the doll was her daughter. But the manga explains it was some sort of "contact experiment" that drove her mad and that her subsequent doting on the doll has to do with her ex-husband More evidence of the manga clarifying things, thank you. BUT DID YOU HAVE TO SAY ALL THIS IN FRONT OF LITTLE ASUKA?

And just like in the anime I still don't know what this Spear/Lance thing is or why it's so important. Fuyutsuki freaks out about using it and SEELE apparently wanted it real bad and I just don't get it. I'm counting on you manga to explain why it wass so damned important because I'm pretty sure the anime never did.

Hm...I had read on the TVTropes Character Sheet that Shinji didn't like Kaworu much in the manga and that is definitely panning out with the shower scene. Shinji outright says he could never like Kaworu and then afterward he says Kaworu is "exploiting" him like everyone else. Truly a departure from the anime since it was always my interpretation that Shinji and Kaworu got on so well precisely because Kaworu was the one person NOT exploiting Shinji. For better or worse, everyone else hung onto him for their own self-interest, even if they didn't mean anything bad by it. Kaworu though just liked Shinji for being Shinji and Shinji at that point was grateful to have such a presence in his life. In any event, the opposite is true in the manga.

And that's Volume 9. Onto my final 3-in-1 pack. I might start it in a bit after I eat. Rei's in a bad position right now after all.

PART 7

So while I appreciate Anime Kaworu's role, I can definitely see what Sadamoto is going for with his Manga incarnation. He is truly "alien." He always was alien of course but in the anime its alien nature manifested itself in a benevolent fashion. Uninhibited by human frailty, he was able to be precisely what Shinji needed. In the manga, the reverse is true. His lack of humanity is presented in a negative light because human nature does come with some good things. His calling Rei "a fool" for sacrificing herself for example shows just how detached from the more...emotional way of thinking that dominates human beings. However it does seem Shinji is rubbing off on him. Kaworu is actually becoming interest in humans now and Shinji's evident dislike for him is finally starting to make him uncomfortable.

And there it is, Ritsuko's downfall as well as the downfall of her mother. I never thought much about Mom and Daughter Akagi until long after I watched the anime but I've come to really pity them both. Looking at her in a new light is one of the big motivations I have for re-watching the anime after I'm done with the manga. Well, done with Volume 13 anyway.

I don't think we ever saw how Gendo...er, made his proposal to Ritsuko in the anime. in the manga though we got this. [[http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...psd968c88e.png Gendo looking pretty tragic and pitiful.]] It's certainly the most vulnerable I've ever seen him except at that one point in EOE. Of course the chances this was genuine seem almost nonexistent but it does go a long way to explain how Ritsuko could be trapped just like Naoko was. I mean, you would think she'd have ample warning about what kind of person Gendo is after what happened to her mother. But the manga at least (and maybe the anime too if I'm forgetting) at least shows Gendo can play the part of a sweet and needy person when he has to.

And that's Volume 10. trout is gonna be doing down in Volumes 11-13 I'm sure. I can't wait. But I don't want to read anymore tonight. I want to savor this.

PART 8

So on Volume 11 now...

kaworu having Adam's soul is kinda weird. He is Adam's "son" and yet has Adam's soul in him. But don't the Angels have their own souls? So is Kaworu Tabris or Adam? But was Kaworu being Adam ever addressed in the anime? I mean, the manga spells it out in plain language with one of the SEELE goons saying outright that "Tabris" has Adam's soul in him but before this I only knew about that because of stuff I read online. if they said it in the anime, i must have forgotten or it was said in the needlessly convoluted way just like all of Anime SEELE's dialogue. Manga SEELE get to the smurfing point, thank God.

Well hey they explained why Kaworu is the only one in a human body. Back when they found Adam before Second impact, they exposed him to human genes. The result was I guess you might say his "programming" was corrupted and created something in our shape that was still part of him. Or It. Whatever.

I find it interesting how Manga Kaworu keeps calling out Shinji on his selfishness. Back after what happened to Rei he stayed witH Kaworu but as soon as Rei III showed up he left Kaworu without a second thought. Kaworu called him selfish then. And now, in their climactic moment, he does it again

Shinji: We can still end this without a fight.

Kaworu: End this without a fight, huh...? Thinking only of yourself, as usual.

Shinji just doesn't want to get his proverbial hands dirty. The fate of Kaworu, whether it's death by Third Impact or by refusing to cause Third Impact (and his subsequent liquidation by SEELE), means nothing to Shinji. He can only think of the here and now, to protect himself here and now. Just like with that starving kitten.

And speaking of which, Kaworu just likened himself to the cat when he asks Shinji to kill him... It all comes full circle.

Okay, there it is, Kaworu's Death - Manga Version. And it has, for me, ruined the manga character of Kaworu. Specifically it is this page.

You see, the problem here is that Kaworu has Shinji kill him for utterly smurfed up reasons. Up to this point the most emotional reactions we have seen from Kaworu are him flipping out at Shinji for not liking him. Except Shinji's dislike for him is more akin to indifference. he barely acknowledges Kaworu and when he does it's only in the most perfunctory of ways. This has caused Kaworu a great deal of agitation as he has said maybe two or three times now "why don't you like me???" or something similar.

So his death in this version becomes very morbid. He wants Shinji to kill him like this so Shinji can never again ignore him. Indeed, Shinji will hold the memory of kaworu in his heart until his dying days. Oh sure it will be a painful memory that stabs at Shinji's heart and makes him hate himself but Kaworu is satisfied as long as he had finally made an impression on Shinji.

Yeah....

Anime Kaworu all the way.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...ps75769dc4.png

However this part was interesting. Never heard it discussed but since Lilith's soul isn't even in the body of Lilith, Kaworu couldn't have really caused Instrumentality anyhow.
    But that's Volume 11 down. It was pretty powerful stuff. Bizarrely, I tend to talk less when I'm really invested in a story. The same thing happened with my Gundam watches. WitH Zeta, which was hands down my favorite, I just watched a whole lot and commented a lot less than i did with any of the others. With the past few volumes thing shave gotten so good that I've been too sucked up in the story to bother to pause to write down posts like this.

Exception obviously being Kaworu's death which irritated me.

PART 9

Volume 12 now... Yep, this is the End of Evangelion part. See, there's a horribly broken Shinji about to be gunned down by SEELE goons and Misato saves - wait, that's not...

IT'S GENDO TO THE RESCUE!

But then...oh dear. What people have been warning me about for some time.

Although I think people overplayed the "Manga Gendo is PURE EVIL!!" It wasn't some huge rant about "I HATE YOU SHINJI!" It was more like "I loved Yui A LOT!"

So much so that her death just completely broke him and made him lose faith in the world.
    [img][http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/NikKingMan/GendoOh3_zps759378dc.png[/img]

And I like that last page in particular. How Gendo feels is exactly how Shinji feels at that point in time. He said to Kaworu he didn't want Kaworu to be his friend because he was sick of making friends only for them to be taken away. Asuka, Kaji, Toji, Rei...all bonds Shinji formed and all of them cut in the most brutal ways possible. He even reflects on if the world is worth saving after Kaworu is killed.

Gendo is channeling all of that too. For the first time he and Shinji are on the same wavelength. He's a very bitter man and I don't think it makes him as irredeemable as people have said.... He was essentially the same in the anime too. "I loved Yui so screw you all!" It's just here he is more....hostile?

Other than that great, great chapter, not much to say about the volume. It's more or less the same as EOE I believe. Misato dead, Asuka dead, yada yada. Who cares about Asuka in this manga anyway?

Although Misato does a great bit of exposition.
    ]

Nice and concise. It pretty much lays out the whole plot. Thank you manga.

And I'm gonna hold off on Volume 13. I just hope it doesn't end in some super cliffhanger way. I don't want to wait until November dammit....

If anyone reads through all this, I'll rep you and declare you an e-buddy.

Blog Entries

My favourite manga changes:
    Toji dies instead of being hospitalised and forever offscreen
    Rei doesnt slap Shinji on the escalator she's a lot more emotionless in the manga. I also like the funny scene where she fills a cup with tea leaves
    A lot of Angels that felt like filler to me and a lot of the fan service is cut. In particular the volcano episode felt particularly fan servicy and I didnt really like the computer virus angel. The forever walking robot also felt like filler. Almost every episode that was cut from the manga was one I did not enjoy.

I just thought i'd post my thoughts before I go back and read your cruel angel thesis
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!