View Poll Results: What's your favorite(s)?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Legend of Zelda

8 28.57%
  • The Adventure of Link

0 0%
  • A Link to the Past

15 53.57%
  • Link's Awakening

5 17.86%
  • Ocarina of Time

6 21.43%
  • Majora's Mask

8 28.57%
  • Oracle of Seasons

3 10.71%
  • Oracle of Ages

3 10.71%
  • The Wind Waker

4 14.29%
  • Four Swords

1 3.57%
  • Four Swords Adventures

0 0%
  • The Minish Cap

1 3.57%
  • Twilight Princess

5 17.86%
  • Phantom Hourglass

0 0%
  • Spirit Tracks

0 0%
  • Skyward Sword

5 17.86%
  • A Link Between Worlds

4 14.29%
  • Other

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Zelda game?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I went with A Link to the Past, Twilight Princess and A Link Between Worlds. I really enjoyed all the Zelda games that I've beaten, which is all of them besides the Oracle games, Minish Cap and the DS games, but I'll get to all those soon enough! Also, never played Four Swords Adventures and will probably never get to.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I didn't realize it was a multichoice poll, can someone add a Majora's Mask vote for me?

Anyway, I voted for A Link to the Past.

I didn't realize it was multiple choice either.

My favorite is definitely Link Between Worlds. That game did so much, so right. Sure, nostalgia gives an edge to some of the classics, but the new one is just a better game in so many areas.

Plus, best story in any Zelda game. Except possibly Hyrule Warriors (which needs to actually come out so that I can talk about the plot with people).
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Majora's Mask without a doubt. Best use of time travel ever featured in a game.
    "Repent your sins through death!" - Ramirez - Skies of Arcadia

I'll rank the ones I've played:

Skyward Sword
    A Link Between Worlds
    Ocarina of Time
    Zelda 2
    A Link to the Past
    Zelda
    Spirit Tracks

I'm playing Majora's Mask right now, and eventually want to play Twilight Princess and Wind Waker.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Skyward Sword was great.
    OoT is my favorite
    Link to the past and link between worlds are great.
    I really started getting into them when I got Ages and Seasons though

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

I voted for only one game. The Legend of Zelda. Every game after the first one has slowly been taking the adventure out of the series. You practically have to go and do things in order. I like the fact that I can go into the over world and run around and explore and then go into a dungeon and possibly miss out on the special item or whatever. You don't need The Wand, The Alpha Key, the Book, The boomerang, the Red Suit or the Red Candle. For any of the actual dungeons you don't need the raft. You only need to access the 4th dungeon.

The 2nd game became more linear but there was still the sense of adventure as you were just dropped into the game and now go explore. It was different but with a Link to the past it started to press the item in the dungeon and linearity a bit more. It did however encourage lots of running around and exploration on the world map. Lots of fun special items. Almost every game since has been chipping away at the freedom I crave. I have not played all of the games but I have become highly apathetic to the series. Wake me up when I get to explore the lands of Hyrule instead of going from dungeon A to dungeon B. Don't get me wrong, I love going through the dungeons in these games but I want there to be more than that to it all.
    Last edited by edczxcvbnm; 08-26-2014 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Corrected at least one egregious typo :p

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I have four swords on my ds, people need to play with me, kk thx

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

ed: A Link Between Worlds gives you that freedom back. Also the new one for WiiU is supposed to be open world. We'll see.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

Hmm..

Wind Waker was my favourite instalment of the series as I played it so much as a kid. The music is great in it too. A link between worlds is actually amazing, and everyone should play it.

I'm playing though the 4 swords adventures just now. And this game is really good fun, but my god it's hard in parts. So easy to overlook some things which solve puzzles. I was stuck in the village areas for about 2 hours before having to read guides to get though.

Next is majorias mask and then I'm done all of them.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Is there any continuity between the Zelda games?

I only ask because I just attained the ability to play the post-N64 Zeldas and I plan on doing so.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post

I only ask because I just attained the ability to play the post-N64 Zeldas and I plan on doing so.
    A few titles have direct sequels but for the most part the whole series has the games taking so far apart that little is retained from a narrative point of view.

Link's Awakening is a direct sequel to A Link to the Past
    Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time
    Phantom Hourglass is a direct sequel to Wind Waker

Even then all the games don't really carry over anything from each other or if they do they are good about giving you a quick prologue to update you. Like Final Fantasy the series is designs in a way to make ever new entry newbie friendly. There is a giant myth arc that incorporates the whole franchise but it has little to do with the stories and mostly serves as talking points for fans.

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

A few titles have direct sequels but for the most part the whole series has the games taking so far apart that little is retained from a narrative point of view.

Am i correcting a Wolf Canoe post? I never thought I'd see the day!

Link's Awakening isn't a direct sequel to a Link to the Past. It's in the same timeline, but the two games are not linked directly (heh). Here is the full timeline as at Skyward Sword. Addition to this is that a Link between Worlds is set several hundred years along the "Hero's Decline and the Last Hero" timeline.

As for Links between the games:

• Oracle of Seasons / Ages are set in the same Universe and have crossovers between the games.
    • Wind Waker -> Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit tracks all share the same universe, but with significant time frames between each game.
    • Majora's Mask is set in the same world as ocarina of time following on from the events after the completion of Ocarina of Time.
    • Minish Cap, Four Swords and Four Swords Adventure all feature the Villian "Vaati".
    • Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but The adventure of Link (Zelda II) is a direct sequel to The Legend of Zelda (Zelda I)
    • A Link Between Worlds is located in the same Hyrule as a Link to the Past, just several hundred years in the future.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Matt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

Am i correcting a Wolf Canoe post? I never thought I'd see the day!

Link's Awakening isn't a direct sequel to a Link to the Past. It's in the same timeline, but the two games are not linked directly (heh). Here is the full timeline as at Skyward Sword. Addition to this is that a Link between Worlds is set several hundred years along the "Hero's Decline and the Last Hero" timeline.

As for Links between the games:

• Oracle of Seasons / Ages are set in the same Universe and have crossovers between the games.
    • Wind Waker -> Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit tracks all share the same universe, but with significant time frames between each game.
    • Majora's Mask is set in the same world as ocarina of time following on from the events after the completion of Ocarina of Time.
    • Minish Cap, Four Swords and Four Swords Adventure all feature the Villian "Vaati".
    • Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but The adventure of Link (Zelda II) is a direct sequel to The Legend of Zelda (Zelda I)
    • A Link Between Worlds is located in the same Hyrule as a Link to the Past, just several hundred years in the future.
    I'm going off old info and I was doing my best to not bring up the timeline deal since its a hot topic issue among fans. Yes, Zelda II is a direct sequel, don't know how that slipped my mind but its not like I'm a hardcore Zelda fan, to be fair you wouldn't know they were directly linked unless you read the easily missable intro. Both game's feature a different Zelda for instance.

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

ALttP is my favorite.
    Basically, the best game of any series is the SNES entry, if it has one.
    Final Fantasy VI
    TLoZ:ALttP
    SF2:Turbo
    Super Mario World
    Super Metroid
    Turtles in Time
    Chrono Trigger
    Mortal Kombat 2

Castlevania: SotN might be the sole exception.

OoT was great, and of course the original is eternal. It is the classic.

And I personally loved Twilight Princess. It was the first real game I ever played with my kids, and my daughter loved it, so I might be a bit biased or something.

I agree with ed's assessment of the series' move toward linearity and his dislike of it. I can still enjoy the games, but I'd enjoy them even more with a return to the openness of the originals. Gear/tools/weapons being optional means not getting them the first time, or being able to skip things, do sections out of order, etc, so each play-through is different, and the player can be his/her own arbiter of difficulty. It hasn't quite gotten to the point where I can't enjoy the games, though. There hasn't been the Zelda equivalent of a FFXIII, in other words.