View Poll Results: Favorite Horror Games?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amnesia

2 14.29%
  • F.E.A.R.

3 21.43%
  • Resident Evil

4 28.57%
  • Silent Hill

5 35.71%
  • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

3 21.43%
  • The Last of Us

0 0%
  • Dead Space

3 21.43%
  • Bioshock

1 7.14%
  • Outlast

0 0%
  • Other

6 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Horror Games?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I only just recently got to play Parasite Eve (thanks sharky!) I didn't really find it all that scary, but it is a great game! That being said, I've yet to find a game or movie that has actually scared me, so eh.

The Silent Hill series is my favorite so far I'd say, with 3 being my favorite. Someday I need to get around to beating SH3 though. Was playing my roommate's copy in college and got all the way to the end, but then student teaching happened and we moved out before I could finish it.

I own the first two Fatal Frame games and will get around to playing them eventually. They look way fun.

On a semi-related note, Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne almost had a horror atmosphere to me at the very beginning of the game when I first started playing it.The game isn't scary at all from the little I've played, but it kind of made me think that it would be kind of cool to see the SMT people do a full on horror game.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was going to mention Fatal Frame. Silent Hill is the scariest on the list to me; Bioshock doesn't really strike me as a horror-type game. It has elements of fear and survival, but eh, I wouldn't classify it as a horror game necessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    On a semi-related note, Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne almost had a horror atmosphere to me at the very beginning of the game when I first started playing it.The game isn't scary at all from the little I've played, but it kind of made me think that it would be kind of cool to see the SMT people do a full on horror game.
    You know, I just played my first SMT game last year with the 4th one, and I can see what you're saying because I felt the same thing in that one as you did Nocturne. There's definitely something really menacing about the atmosphere and music, and while it didn't outright scare me or creep me out, there were times I felt a little uneasy. I mean, everything is dark, you go into caves and it deals with the supernatural after all. Maybe I'm just a pansy, but there it is.
    Will post for food.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah it would be interesting to see the MegaTen guys try to do a horror game, closest I can think of is Catherine which isn't so much horror as mystery meets frantic terror. Those boss stages...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deepdoop View Post
    I voted F.E.A.R. because as much as I love games like Silent Hill, F.E.A.R. was the only game to explicitly give me nightmares. I know the gimmicks it uses doesn't work on some people, but it did for me. The mixture of supernatural and the fear of being alone against soldiers and otherworldly beings was done really well.
    You now have twenty more brownie points for knowing what F.E.A.R. is, and a thirty brownie point bonus for enjoying it.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Yeah it would be interesting to see the MegaTen guys try to do a horror game, closest I can think of is Catherine which isn't so much horror as mystery meets frantic terror. Those boss stages...
    Catherine was the closest I could think of too, but yeah. I'm still pretty new to MegaTen's stuff so I wasn't sure they hadn't already done a horror thing, but there are just little things sprinkled throughout the games I have played that make me think they could do a really interesting one.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Catherine was the closest I could think of too, but yeah. I'm still pretty new to MegaTen's stuff so I wasn't sure they hadn't already done a horror thing, but there are just little things sprinkled throughout the games I have played that make me think they could do a really interesting one.
    Yeah the series does a good job of making them feel very eerie, the musical scores certainly help as the hospital in SMTIII or the Reverse Hills buildings in SMTIV have some downright creepy tracks to make those locations very unsettling.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm a huge fan of early Silent Hill 1-3 and Resident Evil 1-4 (as well as Zero and Code Veronica). I also really loved the original Amnesia (haven't played the sequel, though I heard it is kind of meh). I haven't played Dead Space, but I have seen friends play plenty of all of them, and I really thought the original was the only well done one. I plan on playing it one day.

Lately I've been into an indie game called Five Nights at Freddy's. Like, literally made by one guy. It has been released very recently and is making plenty of waves in the gaming community. You basically are a security guard that works the graveyard shift in a Chuck E. Cheese-like place. Basically, you are in one room trying to keep track of multiple animatronics through security cams and the two doorways that lead straight to you. You have limited power that you must make last each night. Closing the doors and checking the cameras use this power, so you must carefully monitor your resources while making sure the animatronics don't pop into your room and kill you. It's a game that's better seen than explained.

For the past week I've had a thread of me playing it and posting my recordings of it in the Let's Play forum. Yeah, yeah, shameless self promotion, but take a gander if you like horror games. While it does have jump scares (which I know some people think are stupid but seriously give it a chance), the dread and tension from the task itself is what really makes this game so interesting and very fun to play. Anyway, link to my thread below.

http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread....ts-at-Freddy-s

If my recording is too low quality for you (I used free stuff to record it though I think it's fine) just search the for the game in YouTube and you'll find plenty of people playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I voted F.E.A.R. because as much as I love games like Silent Hill, F.E.A.R. was the only game to explicitly give me nightmares. I know the gimmicks it uses doesn't work on some people, but it did for me. The mixture of supernatural and the fear of being alone against soldiers and otherworldly beings was done really well.
    You now have twenty more brownie points for knowing what F.E.A.R. is, and a thirty brownie point bonus for enjoying it.
    Thank you, thank you, I'll take points where I can get them! It's funny though because when I first saw the thread I came in and expected to be the only one to say F.E.A.R. because in my experience talking to people, either they haven't played it or they didn't think it was that scary. I was surprised someone else voted for it and then I saw who made the thread and saw your avatar and thought "I can get along with this person."

I will put a bit of a damper on the F.E.A.R. love though by saying that as much as I love the first the rest aren't really up to par for me. The second was pretty decent, kind of a lesser version but still mildly scary, and F.3.A.R. wasn't even scary... it's like they decided to just eliminate the fear and focus on making a FPS. Still a solid game but nothing like the first at all.
    Will post for food.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I HATE THEM. I HATE THEM SO MUCH. I threw my control and ran away screaming at dead space, seriously. Rum may have also been involved so the freakout was a little worse than normal... I got 20 mins into Amnesia. Screw these games. These games are horrible and should not be made. THEY SHOULD NOT EXIST.*throws controller*

...you're the type of person people like me want to lock in a room and force you to play these games lol. Or at least be there when we play since they don't scare us much but we want to be scared. We enjoy being scared. We can be scared vicariously through people like you. Play them on YouTube. You'll be the next pewdiepie

Blog Entries

5 Days a Stranger/7 Days a Skeptic/Trilby's Notes/6 Days a sacrifice. I wouldnt have expected a series with early pc sprites to terrify me so but it did. (Not so much 5DAS but the series as a whole is wonderfully disturbing)

I found Fatal Frame/Project Zero to be a good horror but I got tired of the game play after the Second Night.

I really enjoyed Bioshock and while I found certain sections quite disturbing I never thought of it as a horror and wasnt really scared at any point (maybe if I had played it when I was younger)

Even more so with Last of Us I dont remember any sections where I was afraid or disturbed.

Honourable mention to Vampire: The Masquerade for that one ridiculously terrifying Hotel Mission. It's not even a horror game and thats one scariest gaming moments I can think of. It's also just a great game in general.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 08-26-2014 at 07:45 PM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    I wouldnt have expected a series with early pc sprites to terrify me so but it did
    Oh my god. Corpse Party!

Corpse-Party-book-of-shadows-screenshot-1[1].jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Thank you, thank you, I'll take points where I can get them! It's funny though because when I first saw the thread I came in and expected to be the only one to say F.E.A.R. because in my experience talking to people, either they haven't played it or they didn't think it was that scary. I was surprised someone else voted for it and then I saw who made the thread and saw your avatar and thought "I can get along with this person."

I will put a bit of a damper on the F.E.A.R. love though by saying that as much as I love the first the rest aren't really up to par for me. The second was pretty decent, kind of a lesser version but still mildly scary, and F.3.A.R. wasn't even scary... it's like they decided to just eliminate the fear and focus on making a FPS. Still a solid game but nothing like the first at all.
    I agree, actually. As do most F.E.A.R. fans I know. I enjoyed the second game a lot and flooded the hell out of Twitter when I played it last year. And while I appreciate the way they handed the hallucinations, it just doesn't hold a candle to the more subtle approach of the first game. I haven't played the third one yet, but that's next on my list to review. I expect a lot of fan raging. Have you heard about the "F.E.A.R. Online" project? I had a Beta key for the thing, but they gave them out while they were still in alpha stages and by the time they made it to Beta I forgot all about it.

Blog Entries

Fatal Frame/Project Zero is my undisputed favourite of the genre. I love the gameplay mechanic of the Camera Obscura and the way the scares seem to get progressively turned up to the point where it becomes scary to even backtrack to an area you know. The third game did this really well.

F.E.A.R. is awesome. It was even more horrifying for me because I'm awful at FPS.