Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think we'll ever see an "older" main character?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Braaaaaains Do you think we'll ever see an "older" main character?

I'm not talking about these 20 year old kids running around, who can't buy a drink in every country of the world, I'm thinking more of in the range of 35-50 years of age. Someone who has been around long enough to see things and not because some magic artifact makes their 15 year old self actually 15000 years old.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Hard to say. They may be testing the water some with XV. I don't feel strongly enough to care either way.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Probably not. Going that old and you really start loosing connection with your demographic. I think that late 20s is the best we are ever going to do.

Personally for me, and creating a good level of immersion, you can't go too old or too young. If they are too young then having them be such a badass doesn't make sense. At the same time if they are too old then what have they been doing their whole life to all of a sudden turn the corner and just decide they are going to be awesome? That role usually is filled better by an older more experienced fighter who joins mid game and is already considered quite strong.

What I would like to see is a larger timeline progression on stories. FFT, as I imagine it, probably took place over a few years. Time for Ramza to build up his skills from well trained but typical squire to one of the best fighters in Ivalice. Having everyone go from village kids killing rats at the starting town to world savers in a few weeks really makes it hard to suspend my disbelief. So we get our older protagonists, but we grow with them to get to that point.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Umm 21 is totally old to be saving the world. I mean by 30 you're basically rotting in the ground soo...

In all seriousness, some of it is pretty silly. Like why is that 8 year old helping save the world? Of course I can't complain too much because some of my favourite characters ever were on the young side.

I'm not sure if we'll ever start getting older main characters, but it would be a positive I think. Like 30's to 40's

Nah, typical JRPG hero age is teens to early 20s. If you go to mid 20s you start crossing into villain territory.
    "Repent your sins through death!" - Ramirez - Skies of Arcadia

I'm with Wolf, and Japan needs to get over their child hero fetish. I think a good story teller could make an intriguing case for an aged market vendor or something to realize in adulthood that he was actually meant to save the world. That would awesome and possibly hilarious. There's a lot of possibilities there, and it wouldn't be cliche at all. Unfortunately Japan has that damn complex that high school (and possibly sometimes university) is the best time of your life and nothing compares, so if you're going to be chosen to save the world, then that is the time. And they definitely give the stigma that if you're over like 25 then you're like a super old person

For this, I actually loved Tales of Xillia. I kinda groaned when I found out we'd be getting a really old man, because I know how Japan portrays really old men. Except Rowen broke all my preconceptions. And he quickly became a favored character. And not just because I'm over 25 and Japan thinks I should be able to relate to rickety old men!

And as far as demographics go.. I think most game companies need to accept that teenagers aren't the only ones playing their games. I'd actually be surprised to find proof that teenagers are even the biggest demographic these days. Not to mention, are teenagers really having that much fun playing other teenagers? Final Fantasy 7 came out when I was a teenager, and I loved playing as adults. Hell, same with freaking Final Fantasy 6. And Xenogears!

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Shield View Post
    Nah, typical JRPG hero age is teens to early 20s. If you go to mid 20s you start crossing into villain territory.
    It'd be awesome to see a game with a 31-year-old protagonist and a 17-year-old villain.

Ha, knowing Japan, they'd make them father and son though. But I guess at least then, there's a possibility for real drama, instead of their typical melodrama

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Probably not. Going that old and you really start loosing connection with your demographic. I think that late 20s is the best we are ever going to do.
    I don't really agree that you lose your target demographic by going older. The reality today is that the average gamer is in their thirties, and when I was ten years old playing games like FFVI where almost every character was older than me I had no trouble connecting with them. Hell, Cyan was one of my favourite characters and he was also one of the oldest, with a family no less.

I'd love to see some older characters enter the mix, but I have little hope that Square would do it. Certainly not at the moment anyway. They don't seem very big on taking chances lately.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright Shield View Post
    It'd be awesome to see a game with a 31-year-old protagonist and a 17-year-old villain.
    Actually if you choose Geddoe in Suikoden III as your main character this actually happens.

^Yeah, but Konami has confirmed that Hugo's path is canon. So it's really a 16 year old hero vs. a 17 year old villain. Pretty much the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I strongly disagree, although I do think that's how the avarage AAA production marketing department thinks.

Old Snake was an awesome hero. Just saying. I would like to see what they could do with an old main protagonist for a FF.

For the record, probably my favorite JRPG protagonist ever was over 1000 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by metagloria View Post
    For the record, probably my favorite JRPG protagonist ever was over 1000 years old.
    Caim?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'd like to see it, but I doubt it will ever happen or at least in the next six entries.