Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chrono Campaign Has Begun

Wasn't there only one sequel? Regardless, all that you said boiled down to "when you change the past, you don't change your past, you just make another timeline" right? Basically what Future Trunks did. he altered the fate of the other timeline but he did nothing to help his own.

But I dunno, it seems like the whole temporal and spatial workings of the series is up for debate. One reason i wanted to play the games was I saw several topics discussing this very matter. The exact connection between Trigger and Cross seems to play heavily on what you believe about how time travel works here.

Hell some people say the DS version of Trigger I'm playing is a different timeline from the original Trigger.

I think I can already see why fans of Chrono Trigger don't like Cross. Cross is a ~super serious~ game if I'm getting it right. All about existential themes and whatnot. Chrono Trigger seems extremely light-hearted. Fiends chilling at the bar talking about how much they want to eat humans while whacky music plays, now I'm back in super-olden times and just got wasted with a cave woman and Lucca and yeah. Unless this game does a total 180, I don't foresee this game coming close to Contemplate Our Navels.

Not that it isn't enjoyable because it is. Just some of my pondering about the massive divide in the fandom.

As for my report on Trigger, it's fun and all but I'm kinda waiting for the plot to really kick into gear. Sure we have a "goal' in the loosest sense of the term but there's no urgency or drive. We're kinda just wandering about trying to fix the Masamune for some reason. Oh well I guess the reason is so Frog will cheer up but that's still doesn't seem to have anything to do with the larger problem here.

Also I guess it doesn't help I'm kinda ahead of the plot in terms of the whole Lavos situation. The heroes think Magus made it but I know better. Kinda hard not to know the whole deal with Lavos when you hang around RPG boards for years and years.

I'm kinda hoping we meet Magus soon. Maybe then the game will kick into high gear.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Wasn't there only one sequel? Regardless, all that you said boiled down to "when you change the past, you don't change your past, you just make another timeline" right? Basically what Future Trunks did. he altered the fate of the other timeline but he did nothing to help his own.

But I dunno, it seems like the whole temporal and spatial workings of the series is up for debate. One reason i wanted to play the games was I saw several topics discussing this very matter. The exact connection between Trigger and Cross seems to play heavily on what you believe about how time travel works here.

Hell some people say the DS version of Trigger I'm playing is a different timeline from the original Trigger.

I think I can already see why fans of Chrono Trigger don't like Cross. Cross is a ~super serious~ game if I'm getting it right. All about existential themes and whatnot. Chrono Trigger seems extremely light-hearted. Fiends chilling at the bar talking about how much they want to eat humans while whacky music plays, now I'm back in super-olden times and just got wasted with a cave woman and Lucca and yeah. Unless this game does a total 180, I don't foresee this game coming close to Contemplate Our Navels.

Not that it isn't enjoyable because it is. Just some of my pondering about the massive divide in the fandom.
    Chrono Cross spends a good amount of time trying to rectify how time travel worked in CT and the whole reason why is because when the scenes were being written their were two different writers with two different ideas about time travel and no one caught the paradox until the game was shipped. Sadly the main writer chose to seriously look at the screwy implication of time travel in CC instead of hand waving the whole thing like most CT fans felt it should have been. Though there are many reasons why CT fans hate CC and it's not simply just the characters dropping serious philosophical monologues about time-travel with the drop of a hat.

CT does touch upon the issues of screwing with time but not as heavy handed or anvilicious as CC does it. Also, you will see Robo getting more character development later if you do two of the side missions. He's actually one of the more endearing characters to be honestly, just ask shion.

As for my report on Trigger, it's fun and all but I'm kinda waiting for the plot to really kick into gear. Sure we have a "goal' in the loosest sense of the term but there's no urgency or drive. We're kinda just wandering about trying to fix the Masamune for some reason. Oh well I guess the reason is so Frog will cheer up but that's still doesn't seem to have anything to do with the larger problem here.

Also I guess it doesn't help I'm kinda ahead of the plot in terms of the whole Lavos situation. The heroes think Magus made it but I know better. Kinda hard not to know the whole deal with Lavos when you hang around RPG boards for years and years.

I'm kinda hoping we meet Magus soon. Maybe then the game will kick into high gear.
    Yeah, the party is getting Masemune and trying to convince Frog to wield it because they think Magus is getting ready to create him. The party is kind of going blind because they don't realize the truth yet and its going to kick off some surprises for them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I didn't like CC because the gameplay was horrendous (in my opinion) and most of the characters near the beginning made me want to punch them in the face. Also, it hurts my eyes. for the record, I tried CC before CT so that didn't influence my opinion at all

But yes, Robo (I named him Freddy) is an absolute dear

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Exactly. Except it is more like "you do not change anything at all because the state of change would mean the contradictory non-existence and so if anything you can only make something new and independent" like at least Dragon Ball did or Chrono Trigger. What he and Cell did was the reason for our heroes' timeline to exist (always just as the non-arrival of Cell was always the reason for Trunks' timeline to exist) but no matter what he did, he just helped Goku and the others. Just as Gohan asked "what if you travel back to the past and shut down 17 and 18" and he said "that would only help for another time but in this time they are already active. In his own timeline the only things that helped from his adventure were his new powers that he got while training with Vegeta in the Room of Spirit and Time.

I am personally glad that those things in Chrono Trigger were a bit more defined because I am okay with plot holes and like with FInal Fantasy XIII-2 I can look over these things for what I like about it but if it is not necessary to be written like this than I prefer it this way.

Also the word "sequels" might have been misleading. I did not really mean it like "there are other sequels". I just talked about multiple things and a sequel that I did not specify so I said "sequels".
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 08-28-2014 at 11:44 AM.

I must say, things really have started moving. The Fiendlord Keep was an excellent little dungeon. I liked the music but I also liked that the music didn't start playing right away. I wandered around both of the little hallways first with it being absolutely silent and it was pretty eerie.

Ozzie and his traps was annoying but at least it gave you the sense of drawing ever closer and closer to the main man himself. Magus looks pretty cool and his actual introduction to us, with the screen being pitch black except for the light sslowly flickering on, was pretty atmospheric. I am always impressed with how cinematic even a SNES game can be. Magus' intro and boss fight were all really well done considering technical limitations.

Oh and i guess I shouldn't skip over Frog's, Glenn's, backstory. My general impression is he's by far everyone's favorite character and I can see why. I really liked that flashback and his theme song is suitably awesome and heroic so when he finally takes up the Masamune it was great.

So my vague memories of people discussing Magus over the years is he's not an out-and-out villain. I have no idea if I'm right on this but perhaps he's a Well-Inentioned Extremist? In any event, he has some pretty evil servants who capture the souls of the poor humans they murder and keep them in perpetual agony. That's pretty evil.

But now we're back in BC with Ayla and I'm not sure what will come next. I would guess genocide of the Reptiles since they are the powerful, intelligent and presumably dominant species on the Earth yet there is no trace of them in the future.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not a huge Frog fan. I mean he's fine, but he never really stood out to me. He was just kinda... there. Anyone who followed my LP can tell you who my favourite characters are :P

Glad you're enjoying it!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Magus' Castle is easily one of the game's biggest highlights though you're not in the part where the plot really starts moving along.

Frog is a wonderful character but honestly there really isn't a character I don't like in this game, though I do tend to bench Marle for most of the game. I can't say much about Magus because I don't want to spoil to much but he's a much more complex character than you're led to believe.

I'll just say 'Well intentioned Extremist' isn't really the right trope to go off here.

And Robo, if built right, is probably the strongest character in the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    I'll just say 'Well intentioned Extremist' isn't really the right trope to go off here.

And Robo, if built right, is probably the strongest character in the game.
    He has lousy synergy with other team builds though, not to mention "building him" means pouring every Magic Tab/Speed Tab you can find into him and then farming the rest.

smurf team Synergy, dude can group heal for as much as Marle/Chrono's duel techs, gets every offensive element outside of water, and is a smurfing tank.

Speed tabs are a dime a dozen, and you don't really need magic tabs for any one else at that point. This is without even needing to steal tabs from certain creatures in the game.

Hey we finally arrived at Zeal!

And there it goes.

That was quick.

I thought that Golem boss was an unwinnable fight. It started off really bad with the thing doing like 300 damage to Crno with one attack and then it hit Marle with an attack that did 500. Needless to say I was worried at this point, thinking I had smurfed up somewhere and should be stronger. But then once I got her back up and got Haste on everyone and finally started attacking it, the fight became a joke. I have no idea what was up with the beginning but as soon as we started using Iceberg Toss and doing over 1K of damage, it never hit me with anything strong again. I didn't have toheal at all anymore. It was very peculiar.

I'm glad I brought Ayla along though. i was thinking maybe I'd have preferred Frog but that Iceberg Toss is awesome.

Oh yeah, everyone kinda forgot about Magus possibly coming to Prehistory with us. I guess a giant fiery "rock" falling from the sky will make you forget the littler details but still. After Lavos fell and we went tO Zeal I felt the plot slipping away again. We were just wandering aimlessly until we happened to find the Palace and Marles Pendant opened the door and really nothing more has been explained or discussed, just a lot of Events occurring.

RIP Reptiles.

Wait, you have gathered that Frog is everyone's favorite character? Isn't he, like, the 5th most popular character?

Also, which character is the "most powerful" is really situational. Ayla's guaranteed 9999 crits are awfully good. Crono's definitely-not-Ultima is really good (and so is quad-slash or whatever). Really most characters are very powerful.

Crono has no personality. You can't really like him. Saying you like Crono is saying you like yourself the most.
    Robo I've never heard one thing about in all my years of being on RPG boards.
    Same for Ayla.
    That leaves Frog, Lucca and Marle. I have heard a lot of people say they like Lucca.

Also i just got the Epoch. Wasn't sure what to do so I went to 1999. Then I said I'd fight Lavos. He ain't so tough!
    Changes attack mode?
    And again?
    And again?

Apparently he'd change enough to kick my ass so that was a bust.

Well the Ocean Palace was a fairly long dungeon and I was tired even before it. I'm getting ahead of myself though. Why do they call it the Mountain of Woe? That was the Mountain of Win with all the mad EXP, TP and money I got.

So Lavos awoke and doomed the world as anybody could have predicted. Power-mad despot tampers with all-powerful evil thing and then it bites them in the ass is something I've been seeing in fiction since I was little. Crono is missing though so that's unexpected. And I guess I should have foreseen Magus being Prophet but I'm sleepy so give me a break.

Schala seems oddly close to Crono considering his total lack of a personality and the fact they knew each other a whopping five minutes, maybe less. Actually the reverse is true, the party is bizarrely invested in her when she doesn't really have much personality either and we've spent no real time with her.

I'm still waiting for someone to suggest "okay so Lavos almost killed us and maybe killed Crono. Why not just use TIME TRAVEL to stop that from happening?" That seems like it be the first thing on my mind if I had time travel and something I didn't want to happen just happened. I'd be like "whoops! Do Over!"

Well I guess at least I'm excited to see what will happen next. I honestly have no clue what could be the next bit of plot development.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

To be fair to the party and Schala, she's about the first and sadly one of the few, decent human beings in the Zeal timeline. For her, you were the first group of people she met who would actually do something about all the madness going on in that time period.