View Poll Results: Which visual perspective do you prefer?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Person

2 10.53%
  • Third Person

10 52.63%
  • I don't care/depends on the type of game

7 36.84%
  • Coddleston Pie!

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First vs. Third Perspective

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Personally I'm partial to third person. I don't tend to like first person too much. Although I like it when they give me a happy mix, like mass effect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    The only thing first person is good for are shooters, and I don't play those often at all. Borderlands and Portal are the only fps I played this past generation. Before that, Metriod Prime. Before that, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. That's all the first person games I've ever enjoyed.

First person is great for looting in Elder Scrolls and Fallout.

I've been switching back and forth between 1st person and 3rd person servers in DayZ. I like the immersion of 1st person but, the field of view is so much better in 3rd and I like to look at my guy running around on long treks. I open my inventory far too much in 1st person. Also in 3rd person your perspective is slightly to the left so you can't get a straight on look unless you're in 1st person.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

It depends on the design choices that the developers are making. There is a reason that the camera switches from first person to third person in most FPS games when you take control of a vehicle. You need to be able to see more of the world around you when driving and not have half the vision be obscured by the dash board or whatever.

First person perspective can do some creative things. Sanctum 2 is an FPS/Tower Defense game that is fun as hell 3rd person wouldn't really work here as they are trying to directly inject you into the action.

There are also some narrative things going on. Take Mass Effect where you are playing a hero called Shepard. This is different than say Half-Life where you are the hero who happens to have the name Gordon Freeman. That sort of perspective and control over the world can influence how the player injects themselves in the game or the role they are suppose to play.

All of this said, I don't really care. If there is an option it depends on how I think the game was designed/intended to be played. If they don't take the correct design choice in the game can sometimes turn out to be disastrous. I heard terrible things about KillZone 3 because it is First Person the whole time but trying to be like Gears of War. I guess cover based combat doesn't work to well when in First Person the whole time. Not knowing where to shoot and all of that other stuff can be hindering.

FFXIV Character

Umami Spitebreath (Kujata)

would have been amazing to go through BL2 with properly implemented 3rd person view (the aim glitches if you try to edit it in).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    I guess cover based combat doesn't work to well when in First Person the whole time. Not knowing where to shoot and all of that other stuff can be hindering.
    there's a good little group of people who say the exact opposite
    http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php...n-dying-breed/

A couple posts from the topic:
    I only ever play on first person servers (unless testing). I had no problems finding one but I noticed they either had few players on them or are close to being full.

I think if there were no first person servers to join I would rather not play - because PvP is a big part of DayZ and PvP with third person enabled is just terribad. I believe in most games designed for first person and/or immersion/authenticity providing a third person option is a mistake. Same for games that actually aim for tactical & exciting combat. Peeking destroys all this.
    You think I'm not aware that COD is in first person? I'm saying that COD kids like 3rd person in this game particularly because its EASIER. Easier to kill, easier to find loot, easier to spot people, more entertaining to see your character. Little kids need quick and fast entertainment, they search for the easiest route. I'm going to assume you guys are all about that 3rd person stuff, right?
    3pp had a place in arma , it was for the easiest difficulty levels to give new players a chance to learn the game. It allowed much easier control of units beneath your command. This was ok for single player or groups playing AI missions. It made sense as OFP /arma had quite a learning curve for those who had just played standard shooters.

The game was never really intended for mass online PvP just look how terrible the netcode is/was ,more for missions to simulate fireteam operations.

But now we have moved on and it has become a serious PvP game(both arma and dayz) and thats where the legacy of 3pp falls down as it removes many of the realistic tactics of a fire fight and replaces it with well more gamey techniques to gain victory. Some like it that way i dont but each to there own i guess.

I just keeping playing first person and hope many others will to , it only dies if we let it die.