Thread: What do the "Kerrang" kids listen to these days?

Articles

Default What do the "Kerrang" kids listen to these days?

So when I was younger I would find all my new music on Kerrang. My Chemical Romance, Queens of the Stone Age, Evanessance, The White Stripes, The Strokes, Foo Fighters, Slipknot, Tenacious D etc were all my jam. I'd just throw on the Kerrang Channel and listen to music for a bit, like an artist I heard and check them out on primitive youtube. I remember hearing "Through the fires and the flames" by Dragonfroce at 1am on Kerrang too. And I investigated more metal music because of it.

So far I've found some more musics, but all via youtue. These are:

Deaf Havana
    Black Veiled Brides
    Mallory Knox
    Courage My Love

So what sort of music do the kids Listen to these days that follows this sort of style?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I never stopped listening to the same bands, including many of the ones you listed. I guess that makes me old now. Wasn't best pleased that MCR broke up a few months ago with their new album in the works!

Articles

Same here, which is why I'm curious as to what music is new and cool these days. The music Kerrang played was never really associated with the top 40, most of the music there I dislike and have never really liked.

When I checked a Top 100 for 2012, pretty much all the Band I Listened to as a teenager were still there. Occasional other bands like "Bring me the Horizon" and "Black Veiled Brides" thrown in there which I looked into. I don't like Bring me the Horizon.

I also found stuff like this, which is terrifying

I'm not real into Blood on the Dance Floor, and I also don't really know the answer to the initial question because I never followed Kerrang outside of a casual interest because I just love music and sometimes found myself on their site or listening to people talk about the site.

However, I do want to say that they have, at times, showcased some excellent music. While it wasn't Kerrang that turned me onto Slipknot, the fact that they spent so much time on them is awesome. Slipknot is still my favourite band after roughly 10 + years of listening to them. I was going to make a thread about their new album in the works but I wasn't sure how people felt about them on here and I've had a history of arguing with entire boards (I'm not even kidding and I wish I was) about Slipknot, and I'm kind of past wanting to do that.

I also didn't know that MCR broke up. I'm not a huge fan but dig some songs. That's kinda sad.
    Will post for food.

I was just getting into the nu-metal scene when Kerrang came to UK television, so it definitely helped me get into bands like Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park and Manson. Before that I was simply impulse-buying in HMV, I got some great albums like HIM's Razorblade Romance but also some duds... anyone remember Kittie?

My tastes have moved on to mostly heavier bands, although I appreciate a wide variety of genres and a even now lot of the nu-metal stuff from 15 years ago. Current favourites include:

Kalmah (melodic death metal)
    Alcest (shoegaze)
    Straightener (Japanese rock)
    Lifelover (depressive black metal)

And a load more in my sig.

Blog Entries

Kittie! I used to love them!

I still remember the bass solo notes from "Charlotte"

kerrang hasn't changed a bit in well over ten years lol
    still the exact same songs and bands as when i was 15

Yeah, I watched it for a short while recently and there was nothing on there post-2004, and still a lot from around the turn of the century. When it first came to UK television it was quite good, but then they realised most of the viewership was by the emo and nu-metal crowds of the time so they catered almost exclusively to them and still do. Fair play to them from a business perspective, it's worked for the better part of 15 years.

What is worth watching is the late night stuff on the Scuzz channel, that plays some really good new and underrated music. I was blown away when I first heard For The Masses by Gorefest as I wasn't familiar with them at the time, you don't expect to hear music like that on British television.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh man, I miss MCR, but their last album was horrid. I just went to a Linkin Park 30 Seconds to Mars concert and I'm entirely okay with being stuck in the 2000s.