Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Any Album

Default Recommend Any Album

I know there have been other recommendation threads, but some are really old and some are very specific in the sense that a person wants the forum to recommend music for them. This thread isn't like that. This is a thread to just recommend any album ever released, and it doesn't matter what genre it is. I do this on forums sometimes because it's fun to see what people listen to. It's easy to just go out and find music, but it's also entertaining to see how people sell the music they listen to.

So for the sake of conversation, I suggest you say a little something about the album, like the genre, and say why you like it. Post up a song or two if you can. Don't just say, "I really like this album, check it out."

I'll be back later to do so, I just wanted to get the thread up and runnin'.
    Will post for food.

Articles

Signals from Mallory Knoxs is Good. Contains stuff like this:

I also this this - offering to the sukhavati

Cheers, thanks for participating. I listened to that Mallory Knox song: solid stuff. I looked them up and see they have a new album coming so now they're on my radar a bit.

I'll add a band from England to the conversation since we're on the topic of the UK.

So my recommendation for now is an album by Killing Joke called Democracy.

I love Killing Joke as a whole and prefer a couple of their albums over this one, but I chose Democracy because I've been on a kick of it recently. I enjoy how KJ often blends industrial rock/metal and post-punk together, along with their sometimes strange recording methods (like recording in caves for some albums).

The foundation of Democracy, and most Killing Joke albums, is groove. They put a lot of focus on bass and drums, which is something not a lot of bands actually do because guitar tends to be flashier. It's not that Democracy doesn't have good guitar riffs, but it's very easy to get lost in the grooves of the rhythm section.

On top of that, you have a variety of topics that Jaz Coleman sings about. He's able to go from incredibly angry about things like politics to spiritual in the most honest way from song to song.

Here's the song Lanterns from it.

Here's the full album to those interested:
    Will post for food.

Killing Joke is an IMMENSE band, but I have to be honest: I prefer their 80's stuff (like Night Time) a lot more. It blurs the line between the whole preppy new-wave/gloomy post-rock in a really cool way.

I'm going to recommend something almost completely different to the two albums above (which may be a bit too boring to a lot of people but w/e): Stereolab's Cobra & Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night.

The sound's best described as spacey lounge music with serious political undertones. What's also cool is how lead vocalist Laetita Sadler sings in both English and French on the album.

In terms of specific tracks, my favourites are free-jazzesque opener Fuses, the slightly danceable Op Hop Detonation and one that showcases Stereolab's uncanny ability to change tempo in the middle of songs and get away with it.

I can't find the whole album on Youtube but here's a playlist.

No, that's perfect. I want it to be different. The albums I recommend will end up being a lot different than one another as well. It's awesome to get different genres going on up in this piece.

I've heard of Stereolab before but never actually listened so this gives me a reason to acquire the album and give it a shot.

Re: Killing Joke. I'm the opposite. I prefer their newer stuff for the most part, but I pretty much like all their albums. It's amazing to me how they can be like, 50 years old, and still have more energy and anger than a lot of younger bands. Night Time is a great album though and the best of the old stuff. Then I like Democracy and Pandemonium the most from the 90s. And then their last two albums from this decade. It's actually kind of weird now that I look at the order of their albums and I notice what I prefer. Kinda cool too.
    Will post for food.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

M83 - Hurry up, we're dreaming.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

"A Knight's Tale" soundtrack is one of my favorites because it has one of the best collection of songs I've ever listened to. I couldn't tell you what genres they belong to, though.

We Will Rock You - Queen
    Low Rider - War
    Takin' Care of Business - Bachman-Turner Overdrive
    Golden Years - David Bowie
    Crazy On You - Heart
    Further On Up The Road -Eric Clapton
    Get Ready - Rare Earth
    I Want To Take You Higher - Sly & The Family Stone
    The Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy
    One Of Your Own (that's not a song, that's a speech from the actual movie)
    We Are The Champion - Queen
    Pieces - Dan Powell
    Eye Conqueror - Third Eye Blind (used to listen to this all the time while playing the 2003 Hulk game)

Then there's the "Fallen" album by Evanescence that has some of her best work on it. Example She's constantly compared to Within Temptation, but Within Temptation is symphonic metal. Her music is more alternative rock.

Since you said you were a pro wrestling fan I also recommend "WWE Anthology" which covers the theme songs of three different eras of WWE: The Federation Years, Attitude Era, and the Ruthless Aggression era.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think the three albums I ever listen to are:

Cruel Summer by Ace of Base
    200px-Ace_Of_Base-Cruel_Summer.jpg

Discovery by Daft Punk
    daft-punk-discovery.jpg

and Demon Days by Gorillaz
    gorillaz_demon_days_album_by_g0rillazevr123-d4kae07.jpg

The reason I choose these three is not because they all contain really great music but because every song on the album really works well with each other. Each song builds into the next on a thematic level and their is a great synergy of the whole album. I seriously have a hard time listening to just one track from each of these albums and not just stop what I'm doing and listen to the whole album.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'll just list four that's been on my mind/been listening to a lot lately.

Mechanical Animals - Marilyn Manson: Wait, hear me out. I am mainly speaking to people who never really gave this band a shot because of the dark imagery or harsher sound. Mechanical Animals is a very unique and ballsy album. Coming scorching hot off the success of Antichrist Superstar, Manson could have easily made another dark and spooky album and called it a day. Instead, we got an album that ran the complete opposite direction. Popular hits such as "The Dope Show" and "Rock is Dead" originated from this album, but Mechanical Animals more sides to it then those glam rock inspired songs. In fact, those kinds of songs are literally half the album, as other tracks are far more emotionally driven and melodic. Seriously, give "Come White" or "Great Big White World" a listen.

http://youtu.be/tb33pEpsYR8

The Parallax II: Future Sequence - Between the Buried and Me: A good friend of mine introduced me to Between the Buried and Me when their amazing album Colors was released. Though I have listened to metal for many years, I'll admit it took me a bit to fully appreciate and understand how BTBAM's style works (lots of timing changes and very harsh sections of songs). However, he knew that I a huge fan of prog rock, and that album was around the time where BTBAM dove deep into their progressive sound. Colors was my favorite album of theirs, but that all changed when The Future Sequence was released. BTBAM seriously raised the bar here, and I enjoyed every second of it.

http://youtu.be/fYLl_s0_Erk (could not find full album link, but these two songs do a good job at showing how this band takes their music in a lot of places)

The Black Chord - Astra: Alright, so maybe you like prog, but not so much of the heavier stuff. Or maybe you just prefer the prog sound of the 70s. Well, Astra has you covered! Released in 2012, I am still convinced that this band has time traveled from the period when you couldn't get away from prog rock if you wanted to. Despite having a familiar style, The Black Chord does a fantastic job of establishing its own identity. If you like the more "Space Rock" aspect of the genre, definitely give this a listen.

http://youtu.be/0oU3Kgo-NWs

Disintigration - The Cure: Back in a very early episode of South Park when The Cure's frontman, Robert Smith, saved the day from Mecha Streisand one of the kids yelled as he was walking away, "Disintegration is the best album ever!" As much as South Park likes to joke around, I assure you that line was meant to be taken seriously. While I am sure you have heard many hits from this album on the radio many, many times, the entire album is worth exploring. My personal favorite is the title track, which is a soul wrenching song both lyrically and musically.

http://youtu.be/LeWhUL7kS80

Blog Entries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0fBh13UL0I

I really like this more recent album from Depeche Mode, Delta Machine. I think it's their most recent actually?? I'm not sure. It's worth a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by deepdoop View Post

Re: Killing Joke. I'm the opposite. I prefer their newer stuff for the most part, but I pretty much like all their albums. It's amazing to me how they can be like, 50 years old, and still have more energy and anger than a lot of younger bands. Night Time is a great album though and the best of the old stuff. Then I like Democracy and Pandemonium the most from the 90s. And then their last two albums from this decade. It's actually kind of weird now that I look at the order of their albums and I notice what I prefer. Kinda cool too.
    Oh, that's fair enough that you like their more recent stuff. It's always interesting to see how peoples' music taste can differ - you could write a thesis on this kinda thing.

Some good stuff in here, all of you, thanks for keeping the thread going. It's nice to see people recommending shiz because in the past when I've done this, it's been mostly me and that gets boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post

Mechanical Animals - Marilyn Manson:
    The Parallax II: Future Sequence - Between the Buried and Me:
    Disintigration - The Cure:
    These are magnificent. Well, I've never actually listened to The Parallax 2 because I haven't gotten around to it, but Between the Buried and Me are magnificent so I have no doubt that album is too.

Also, for the record; it's true that people don't really give Marilyn Manson enough credit, because his first 3 albums are awesome. Really was something special... he was provocative but had a nice satirical bent to everything he did. People didn't want to see the meaning behind his words because they'd rather just look at the "freak" and criticize/judge him.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow_Magic View Post

Oh, that's fair enough that you like their more recent stuff. It's always interesting to see how peoples' music taste can differ - you could write a thesis on this kinda thing.
    Yeah, definitely.

I guess my next contribution to this thread is... Dirty Beaches - Badlands

Sometimes I have a hard time getting into this indie "lo-fi" movement because sometimes the quality is just way, way too low and doesn't actually add to the song. It's like it's a trend sometimes to just make it sound as crappy as possible. Hell, you can apply that to Black Metal as well, because even though Black Metal is one of my favourite forms of metal, sometimes the bands just record with the worst equipment because they feel like they have to... not because it can lend to a darker, rawer feel. This happens with indie bands as well once in a while.

But I love Dirty Beaches. Badlands was the first album I discovered by him (as far as I know it's still one person). It's a little experimental, but a little rockabilly as well.

To sum up the feel of the album, I have to use a movie reference. There was a movie in the 70s called Badlands, about two killers on a road trip/murder spree. They were in love with one another. Like any road trip, there were the highs and the good times, but then ultimately they were murdering people too so it had a dark feel at the same time. Dirty Beaches picked an appropriate name for this album because it's hard not to visualize the movie, that time and place, that mood and atmosphere, when listening to it. Some of the songs are more upbeat, "chase" songs, whereas some are more introspective. The way he uses the lo-fi approach is appealing because he makes it sound haunting and that compliments what I assume he was going for. I really don't think it's a coincidence he chose Badlands as the title.

Here's a full playlist, minus one song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edV1...5139EA&index=2

Here is that one song, and it's actually my favourite. Fans of old music may be familiar with the main riff that plays throughout because it's ripped from another song, but he re-imagines the idea behind it and makes the song his own:
    Ihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1npX5-CP0A
    Will post for food.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post

Mechanical Animals - Marilyn Manson:
    The Parallax II: Future Sequence - Between the Buried and Me:
    Disintigration - The Cure:
    These are magnificent. Well, I've never actually listened to The Parallax 2 because I haven't gotten around to it, but Between the Buried and Me are magnificent so I have no doubt that album is too.

Also, for the record; it's true that people don't really give Marilyn Manson enough credit, because his first 3 albums are awesome. Really was something special... he was provocative but had a nice satirical bent to everything he did. People didn't want to see the meaning behind his words because they'd rather just look at the "freak" and criticize/judge him.
    Glad you liked most of my submissions. Definitely check out Future Sequence ASAP. That album is a journey.

Glad someone else gets that a lot of Manson's material (on and off Mechanical Animals) was very satirical. The guy is a joker at heart, and much more clever than most people give him credit for. I think most people know by now to look past the "freak" imagery, but a lot of people are still dismissive of the discography outside of the hit singles, which are good, but there are some awesome songs all over the place--even on newer albums (the latest album "Born Villain" was an excellent return to form).

Yeah, he does have some good songs scattered across his discography for sure. I haven't liked a full album since his early ones, though. It used to make me shake my head once Bowling For Columbine came out and people would see the segment with Marilyn Manson and comment about how he's "actually pretty smart." Well yeah, all you had to do was listen to his lyrics to know that. It's all right there for the world to see.
    Will post for food.

:monster:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor is the best band ever and Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven is their best album.

Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)